Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap places to stay in florence and Venice? Carnivale?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 1998, 12:30 PM
A.F.

We unwittingly planned a trip to Italy in February. Is Carnival a great opportunity for a fun time or a nightmare waiting to happen? Will finding a cheap place to stay be impossible? Anyone have any suggestion for cheap sleeps in Florence and Venice? I am not real finicky, but the places that were awesome at 18 are not so desirable to me at 28! Thanks for any advice!!

Old Feb 4th, 1998, 10:56 AM
Stefano Rimoldi

I've been many times to Florence. I can suggest
Hotel Aldini: Tel. ++39 55 212448 fax 291621 is located in front the Duomo, in the center.
is has rasonable price and is very clean and nice.
In Venice during Carnival is quite difficoult to find
an Hotel.Try Hotel Iris (near the Station) but
book in advance.Another can be: Hotel Il Doge
Tel.++39 41 5242192 Fax 716693, this is a new
Hotel in santa Croce, and not so many people
know it. Hope you will find a room and have a nice time! Ciao Steve Rimoldi.

Old Feb 4th, 1998, 02:23 PM
Charlie Rice

The Hotel Europa Regina is where I stayed 3 yrs.
ago... deluxe prices with a spectacular view and budget ( over the kitchen) without a view. I had stayed there previously and this time it was what was available...located right on the Grand Canal off St. Marks Square...it was very special beffitting the unique and exceptional setting for Carnival. GRAND & GLORIOUS, I will never forget that trip! Best wishes....and....Don't go without a costume!
Buona Festa

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 08:03 PM
Sally Boyett

We spent two nights at the quaint Hotel Pendini in Florence last year. It was perfect - centrally located (a few short blocks to Duomo), right off a main piazza with trattorias. The rooms were clean, the management was courteous and helpful with dinner reservations, and the rate was only 120,000 lire for a double room (2 people). They have a website and the entire reservation can be made over the net.
http://www.tiac.net/users/pendini/hotel.html
A great find!

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 02:05 AM
Luellyn

Carnevale is a madhouse! Great! hectic ! Well worth the trouble --Try Casa Verardo 041 528 6127 --fax 523.2765 - great location and great prices!!

however - if you are booking for this years Carnivale - give it up and stay out of Venice and take the train in for day trips -- they book at least a year in advance, Try Verona ....