Reload this Page >

What color socks with shorts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:39 PM
HIHO

I one does wear shorts in Europe (god forbid), is it best to wear dark or white socks?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:46 PM
AnnaC

In England it is essential to wear knee length white socks with brown leather sandals if you are wearing shorts. Anything else will just make you look totally out of place.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:51 PM
FiFi the Fashion Expert

You will be sent directly to the guillotine for such an offence!!!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:22 AM
Debbie

<BR> <BR>Socks? Why wear socks? <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 02:22 AM
Jerry

I like those little socks that just go to the ankle. Are these ok?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Carol

HiHo, <BR>Back to the other post of looking like an American . . . Nothing screams it more than athletic sneakers and white gym socks! You have to do bare feet and loafers or thick-strapped black sandals. Or course you can "cheat" with those little beige peds thingys!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Judy

HIHO, are you funning me? It made me smile nonetheless! ;-)

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Gina

My advice is specifically for Ireland the UK. Follow it, and you will blend in nicely. In addition to wearning dark, knee high socks, you must also wear a hanky (knotted in 4 corners, please), running shorts from the 1970s, and a short sleever dress shirt, assuming you're a man. <BR> <BR>If you're a woman under the age of 40, you can also consider wearing the 1970s running shorts, but you might also want to put on a pair of extremely tight demin cutoff shorts, topped off with an equally tight belly shirt. Make sure you wear very big shoes that you can't really walk in. Oh, and paint your toenails a bright color. <BR> <BR>If you're a woman 40 or over, try a very wrinkled cotton skirt, and then top it off with a tank top (or vest, depending on what country you're from) that's far too tight, and make sure it doesn't match the skirt. Make sure to wear white sandals that don't quite fit and are too high, so you can totter around. <BR> <BR>Why is it that people in Ireland and the UK can dress very nicely most of the year, but when summer hits, watch out! It because a festival of bad taste.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:50 AM
AnnaC

Gina - you have to remember that we only have 1-2 weeks of summer a year. This means that our summer clothes don't get much wear. So, summer clothes bought back in the 1970s are still hardly worn.... <BR> <BR>Actually, I'm not sure I agree that the British dress badly in the summer - the occasional member of the older generation does still appear to retain the idea that sandals cannot be worn without socks, but other than that, I'd say we dress no worse in the summer than any other time of year. Perhaps we just don't look as good as people in warmer countries because the expanses of exposed flesh are pasty white rather than golden brown?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Al

One of our fondest memories of a trip to Britain was to see men dressed in shorts, wearing anklet socks, with legs looking white as a chicken's, licking Walls ice cream cones, and all carrying umbrellas while walking on seaside piers. We thought that we had somehow stumbled on a shooting site of a Montie Python episode.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Momma

I'm probably working overtime, but isn't this yet another version of the baggy-pants troll?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:45 AM
moonshine

Current fashion trends dictate: <BR>If you are female and have a nice bum and legs, then hot pants are compulsory. <BR>Otherwise, cover up at all times... <BR>The customs officials will score you out of ten when you arrive and issue the correct attire where appropriate.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:53 AM
elvira

HIHO has brought many fashion questions to the forefront through his many recent posts. Personally, I think your sock color should contrast sharply with your skin colour: dark skinned people should wear white, and light skinned people should wear black.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:11 AM
debbie

I personally vote for the socks with individual little toes. Maybe the sights of Paris? Eiffel Tour on one toe.....

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Maggie

What color socks? magenta. <BR>What color shoes? Bright yellow. <BR> <BR>I'll meet you at Westminster Abbey, 12 noon sharp! <BR> <BR>Just kidding! <BR> <BR>Whatever you wear, you'll peg yourself as an American because, once you get comfortable, you'll wrap your legs around the front legs of the chair. And if you don't do that - <BR>Well, you still mark yourself as an American, because you have to switch the fork from one hand to the other before stabbing the cut food and putting it in your mouth. <BR> <BR>So, if you are going to stand out anyway, why not stand out all the way?!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Capo

I think plaid shorts and argyle socks make an exceptional fashion statement.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 02:16 PM
cmt

Orange or chartreuse, definitely.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 02:21 PM
steverino

Ooh, hot. What color are your stiletto pumps? <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:32 PM
StCirq

I always say, vermillion goes with everything.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Al Godon

I like to wear one red sock and one white sock with a tassel around the top. <BR>My wife is very short, something like 5'0" with heels. So when she loses me in a crowd it is very easy for her to stoop down a little and look for a red sock. If a white sock seems attached to the same person, then she has found me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -