Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What cities should I visit between Dusseldorf and the romantic road??

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where should we stop on our drive between dusseldorf and the first stop rothenberg? Its a 5 hour drive and it would be nice to break it up. Any suggestions??
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM

Which roads will you be taking?
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Dusseldorf, Cologne, Rhine gorge, Rudesheim, Wurzburg, Rothenburg an der Tauber. Or go via Heidelberg, bypassing Frankfurt.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Why bypass Frankfurt?
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM

IMHO Frankfurt offers little of interest -- it's big, crowded, commercial, offers nothing scenic.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM

Proving once again how very little most people know about this city.

You do know it is very old don't you? That they were already electing emperors here, when Munich had barely been thought of? It was a city by the time Charlemagne held a gathering of bishops here in 794.

The Jewish community in Frankfurt traces its roots back to 1150, and the city has one of the largest and oldest Jewish cemeteries in Germany. Surrounding it is one of the most meaningful Holocaust Memorials in Germany. The city chose to put the names of all of its' Jewish citizens on it that had been deported and killed. Well over 11,000 of them. Seeing all those names will blow any one away IMHO. You do know that Anne Frank was born here and that her family had lived here since the 1500's? Before the war, Frankfurt had the 2nd largest Jewish population in Germany along with having a Jewish mayor. A visit to both of our Jewish museums is well worth your time.

If you don't come to Frankfurt, you will never see this:
http://elkage.de/PHP/bilder/PIC3330.jpg
Good luck finding a "hanging vault" any place else.

You do know that Frankfurt was the designated election city for the emperors since 1356 and the coronation city since 1562 don't you?

It is a common misconception that the entire city was wiped off the face of the map during the war. The inner city was destroyed, but the whole rest of the city is still there. We have beautiful turn of the century architecture all over the city. Lively, fun neighborhoods, filled with sidewalk cafes, street markets selling gorgeous produce, and lots of festivals too.

Have you never seen photos of the Alte Oper? Do you not think it is lovely? Do you know you can dine in one of the 3 guard towers left from the city defenses of 1425? One of them, the Eschenheimer Turm, was designed by the same architect that designed the cathedral. Withstood the war without a scratch too.

Hm, what else can one see here? How about the Palmengarten, the Klein Markt Halle, the Römer (city hall since 1405) the Staufen Wall built in 1180, the Alte Nikolai church, Goethe's birth house, and frankly, this is just a small sample. A visit to the Städel Art Museum is well worth your time as is the Liebig Haus. The Museum of Modern Art is also a top spot.

With 48 parks, dozens of museums (2nd only to Berlin, a rich variety of cultural events, and all the history of the city, I find it hard to believe that anyone would say that Frankfurt is just a commercial city with nothing of interest. Just cause a city has skyscrapers does not meant it has nothing else.

I will now gently step down off my soap box.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM

I like Frankfurt. I wouldn't hesitate to stop there for a visit. Some of the best museums are in Frankfurt.

I would also recommend Wurzburg as a place to stop on your romantic road journey.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM

If you are looking for bit smaller, there is also Limburg an der Lahn (between Cologne and Frankfurt). Cathedral and Old Town are worth a visit. I doubt that it is on any "list" of tourists from overseas, though. Between Frankfurt and Rothenburg, there is Mespelbrunn with its famous castle, and Wertheim (on river Main). All three are along A3 motorway, which you will probably take to get from Düsseldorf to Würzburg.