What causes turbulence?

Search

What causes turbulence?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What causes turbulence?

I really hate flying - especially turbulence. Can anyone tell me what causes turbulence and if there is actually a way to avoid it? Are some airlines better at its avoidance than others or is it really just bad weather??
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:03 AM

It's the changes in air pressure, and changing speed of headwinds and tailwinds, and hitting "thermals" causing the plane to lose/gain altitude. My dead, no pilots deliberately try to maximise the effects, all airlines have safety as a paramount factor. Nothing you can do about it.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:12 AM

It is rough air, often associated with bad weather, with changing winds and air pressure. I don't think any one airline is better at avoiding it, partly because the rough air is not easily seen, if at all, and partly because the pilot is not that free to change his heading or altitude. If the weather charts show an area of likely bad air, they will arrange the flight around it; if they run into an unexpected area of rough air, they usually ask the controller to route them around or over it.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Funny you should mention this. Yesterday, I flew from Las Vegas via Dallas to Ft. Myers, Florida. They warned us about turbulence before we took off in Las Vegas to be caused by the 112 degree temperature. They weren't kidding, it was the roughest take off I've ever experienced and we were really tossed around hitting those hot air currents until we reached a very high altitude. Again they warned of turbulence as we approached Dallas due to high winds and again they were right. The plane actually swerved as we landed due to strong cross winds. And then we dodged major storms along the Gulf thanks to the hurricanes approaching. Again we always got some warning, but there isn't much the pilots can do about it.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:24 AM

A pilot friend once told me (I hate turbulence too) that I should think of a bumpy flight the same as I do of riding in a car on a very bumpy road, one that's full of potholes. It's uncomfortable and can shake things up, but it is not in itself dangerous.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:26 AM

wow....this is just too funny......"Can anyone tell me what causes turbulence and if there is actually a way to avoid it? Are some airlines better at its avoidance than others or is it really just bad weather??"

I guess there are people out there who haven't flown much or don't have a clue at all.....Oh yeah! it's like driving a car, just pick an airplane with hydraulic shocks....duh! too funny!

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

It's strange cause I love travelling so very very much but I get so nervous flying. Friends constantly assure me that the plane "can take it" but this doesn't help when faced with terrible turbulence. I've had 2 very bad experiences which stand out in my mind. the first was with Singapore Airlines flying from Australia to KL. i think the turbulence hit just as we left Australia and the plane just dropped (probably only for a second or two but it was the longest second or two of my life). The other occassion was flying with Go (now Easyjet) from Venice to London. We hit turbulence over the Swiss/German Alps (I think) and this time we were thrown up and down and side to side. I was travelling with my exceptionally calm mother and even she grabbed me at one point.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Actually Carlos it isn't that funny when you have a fear of flying. For your information I fly about 10 times a year and even if I had only flown once or twice in my life it would not make it acceptable to make fun of me.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Anyway.....what was the subject about?
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:13 AM

JennieH -

Your problem is not turbulence - its fear of flying and that's what you need to address. If it really bothers you this much I suggest you either take one of those fear of flying classes - or try a psychologist who specializes in desensitizing people with phobias.

As for turbulence - there is nothing to be done about it - although you can try to avoid routes where its most common (I used to have a client in Pittsburgh and that area is infamous for turbulence - especially in the summer - US Air never even tried to serve a snack - they just handed it to you as you got onthe plane - it was almost always too turbulent for the FAs to be out of their seats).

FYI - be glad all you've run into is turbulence - I've flown a lot and have landed in wind shear, been rerouted around tornados, landed with iffy landing gear (foamed runway) and been in a plane that almost landed in the pacific.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NYtraveler - I am sure you are right about the phobia. I really hope that I never experience the other incidents you mention!!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 04:29 PM

nytraveler, you wouldn't be going to Ireland out of Boston this October, would you? I don't want to be on your plane! (insert smiley face here!)
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Sorry - don;t mean to scare anyone. But I have done a lot of flying - probably over 2,000 flights - and these things are not very likely to happen to someone who flys occasionally. (Although all of my business acquaintances who fly a lot have some similar stories.)

And no, I;m not going to Ireland in October -and I always fly to europe out of NY.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:04 PM

All I can say is,"Thank God for Xanax!"

Actually, I check in with a fear of flying website on occasion, and someone mentioned that as long as the drink on your tray is not sloshing about, the turbulence is not as bad as you may think. That helps me when some bumpiness comes along!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Actually, the type of plane and the airlines ARE factors in this discussion. Not most of the time, but occassionally.

I am not an expert on this, but I've read posts in the flyertalk.com forums about this. Two situations come to mind, both because planes have to fly lower altitudes, and lower altitudes mean higher chance of hitting turbulence and weather:

- The North Atlantic routes between Europe and N. America has fixed routes for planes to fly in. Most modern jetliners have the required equipment for them to fly in this "system". However, some airlines do fly older planes like certain 747-200s that may not. And they have to take a lower altitude.

- Airbus 340 (especially the older -200 and -300 models) have relatively low power/weight ratio, and they will generally fly in a lower alitutude for longer than comparable Boeing 777 models for longer, before burning off fuel and climbing to the maximum altitude of about 41,000 feet. So, you'll spend more time in the lower altitude, especially if it's a ultra-longhaul flight with maximum fuel load.

Now, let me say clearly that these are technical stuff, and for the most part they do not play a role in passenger comfort. I am just saying that the answer is a little more complicated than just saying "they are all the same".
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:38 PM

Yep, you can't really avoid it. And it pretty puch feels the same whether you're on an ERJ or a long haul 747 if conditions are right. As everyone has said, it happens for many reasons and all pilots with any experience have managed it before. After the incident years ago where we were rerouted to Norfolk instead of DC because an engine was on fire (on my side of the plane too) - and fire trucks chasing us down the runway on either side, I'd pick turbulence everytime!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 09:46 PM

Baked Beans and Beer cause turbulence !
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 10:05 PM

Marko that is funny.

I was under the impression that pilots flying a bit ahead on the same route warn the next plane in line about turbulence so they can avoid it.

Maybe fly an airline with nice pilots who will take the other pilot's advice.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:22 PM

Jennie - you have my sympathy, fear of flying is miserable. I too hate turbulance.

I had my worst experience flying with Virgin from St Lucia to London - I had never experienced turbulance like it - some of the over-head lockers were flying open and the FA's abandoned serving drinks for their seats. I actually thought I was going to die..

The upside is that minor turbulance no longer has me white knuckled - if I am particulary calm I barely look up from my book.

I too find it hard believe that it is never dangerous - has turbulance ever flipped a plane? Anyone?

I like the bumpy road likeness, except 18000 feet up is no road... its the sheer vulnrability that makes it SO scarey.

Is turbulance ever a serious safety risk??
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

bbib: yes I think turbulence has flipped a plane. I am sure there was an incident about 5 or 6 years ago on either United or JAL where a plane flipped somewhere over the Pacific near Japan. It did recover but I think a few people not wearing seat belts were seriously injured.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -