Reload this Page >

what can i wear?

Search

what can i wear?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:34 PM
caroline

what can i wear?

i am a teenager planning a trip to france. What can i wear so that i look nice, but i don't want to have to wear a skirt because i will be going in march. i will also be going to Versailles...

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Surlok

Caroline, <BR><BR>People look better (dressed or whatever) when they are comfortable with themselves. So, I don't think you have to wear a skirt to go to Versaillles if you don't like to wear it. Why should you? <BR><BR>What do you feel comfortable wearing? Let us, the more experienced travelers, know, so we can tell you, among the outfits you like, which would be more or less appropriate.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:58 PM
mimi taylor

caroline, a well fitting pant is fine ,a beautiful blouse for dinner, sweater, sweatshirt, not sloppy,for browsing in villages or in town.<BR>I wish I could have seen France as a teen ager, lucky you.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:02 AM
caroline

i would like to say that i feel most comfortable in jeans and t-shirts and a pair of tennis or comfortable shoes... is that all right to wear as long as i am just sightseeing and not eating out? can i wear that kind of outfit into the louvre or on the eiffel tower? one more question and this is for my mom... is it a long ride to the top of the tower? is it not a good idea if you are afraid of heights? should i keep her eyes covered until we get to the top?

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:20 AM
scigirl

Caroline,<BR><BR>There is no dress code for the Louve or the Eiffel tower - so you can wear jeans and t-shirts if you want. When I was in Paris I noticed that most people (who live in Paris) dressed up a bit more than people usually do in the U.S. This doesn't mean skirts, but women tended to wear pants more than jeans, and shoes rather than sneakers. However, I wasn't paying much attention to what teenagers were wearing. I agree with the earlier poster - you'll be most happy in clothes that make you comfortable. I'd suggest taking one pair of pants and 2 shirts that are a tiny bit dressier in case you get there and decide not to wear jeans for whatever reason. People will be so busy taking in the sites and looking at Paris that no one will pay any attention to what you are wearing - so wear what makes you feel good.<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Dina

You may have heard of the "fashion police". They don't actually exist---you'll be allowed in the Eiffel Tower wearing anything not indecent---but I would advise against those super-baggy American pants with the crotch that hangs way down. You would look (literally) outlandish in Paris wearing those! A fitted, curvy T-shirt rather than a baggy one, and black or gray rather than white sneakers would be better too. You can easily be comfortable, plus "look nice" in your new environment.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:29 AM
patg

My (european) teenage niece wears almost nothing but jeans/pants and midriff-showing shirts, but they are always clean,understated and well-coordinated. Take this fabulous opportunity to go over your clothes and choose versatile things for your travels. Black pants can go places that jeans cannot, and they will make you feel far more sophisticated. Take the basics and plan to do some shopping in France; even their budget stores are full of stylish things. I guarantee if you take note of French fashion, you will soon be dressing with confidence.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:30 AM
mike

I also do not like heights. The Tower was somehow different that I expected.<BR>Very packed with people, and maybe that made me more at ease...The view is also so beautiful on the way up, I would hate to miss any of it.....And the top floor view is amazing..I think your mom will forget her fear as I did once she gets going....<BR>mike

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Kim

My mother, who was afraid of heights, went to the top of the Eiffel Tower - and she was NOT a happy camper! <BR><BR>Kim.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Nikki

I am also curious about teenage attire, as I will be bringing my daughter. We will be going to the ballet and I wonder whether it is best to wear a skirt or dress instead of pants.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:57 PM
caroline

thank you so much for the replies they have been sooooooooo helpful. my mom is still afraid but i think she will make it with me holding her eyes open...

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Surlok

Depending on the season, why not a suit, or nice pants and a nice jacket, or if is Summer, a light dress? The Opera attendance in general isn't dressy.<BR><BR>Caroline, on a daily basis, you'll be fine wearing jeans, t-shirts and sneakers. You'll walk a lot, so you must be comfortable to do it.<BR><BR>At night, going out for diner or ballet, wear a nice pair of pants, and a nice blouse, or if it's cold, a jacket or sweater will make it. This time, leave the sneakers at your hotel room, wear leather shoes instead, and you'll be perfectly fine.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S