Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone used the Paris Museum & Monuments Pass?

Jan 10th, 2002, 02:36 PM
m

The Paris Museum and Monuments Pass sounds like a great deal at $30 for 3 days. But it seems that it's good for 3 consecutive days and most museums close on Mondays & Tuesdays. I'm there from Saturday to Thursday - if I use the pass on Saturday & Sunday, can I use the last day on
Wednesday or will it have expired on Monday?

Jan 10th, 2002, 02:43 PM
GGinSF

It will expire. Not all museums are closed Monday; in fact, the Louvre is open that day (it closes Tuesdays). The pass is great for bypassing lines so it's still worth it even if you only see the Louvre on Monday (there are probably a couple other things open Monday where you can use the pass, though).

Jan 10th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Christina

There are lots of museums open Monday and Tuesday. Perhaps you misunderstood when you said most museums close Mon and Tues -- most close one OR the other, not both, so it is easy to plan museums or monuments) to see on both those days. Given your timeframe, you do have to do a little planning ahead, though, to make sure you don't miss what you want. It's not that expensive, though, I suspect you are getting prices from an agency that marks them up. A 3 day pass is only 26 euros (which is about $23), last I saw. There are no exceptions to delay its dates of usage, even during holidays or strikes.

Jan 10th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Kay

I bought the pass on concierge.com and it was waiting for me at my hotel in Paris. I used it most places and found it very convenient and as others mentioned, you don't have to wait in line to buy a ticket.

Jan 10th, 2002, 07:40 PM
c

I get my pass from a travel agent in Texas-called France,Inc.I live in NY.He sends it to me in the mail, we never go without them,to London also..When one museum is closed,there is another great one that is open so that has never been a problem.We used it to go to Versailles, it is great and there is nothing like passing all those people standing in line and going around to your own entrance ,the one without a line!The pass begins when you use it first,so you could be in Paris a day or two before you use it.Then you have to use it conscutively.

Jan 10th, 2002, 07:56 PM
MaryC

Thank you, Kay, for the head's up! I want to buy the 5-day pass for $55(?), I think. What a great little present to await one when one shows up at the hotel!!! And wouldn't it be just like me to leave the pass at home and to remember once on the plane & in the air.

Jan 10th, 2002, 08:08 PM
rj

Just back. D'Orsay was free 1st Sunday of the month. Louvre had no line (& unusually small crowd on Monday, probably it's January.) So not buying the pass saved us money this time.

Jan 10th, 2002, 08:11 PM
kate

m-the Louvre is open late on Thursday nights, it is fun to wander then, not a lot of people, you have rooms to yourself..

Jan 11th, 2002, 04:01 AM
ann

I have been reading that the Louvre is open Mon and Wed nights (and the D'Orsay open Thursday night) - can anyone confirm this as it seems to conflict with what the last poster said. I also read that the Louve is open for "short tour" on Monday night - what does that mean? I was planning on going on a Monday night but want to make sure the main sights will be available (I'm not interested in a tour, just want to make sure certain areas arn't closed). Thanks

Jan 11th, 2002, 06:14 AM
elaine

http://www.intermusees.com/information
/index.html Paris museum pass (available in English).
The intermusees web site provides a list of museums included in the pass, the places
that are included are places where you can buy it except you don't want to buy it at the Louvre or the Orsay, you want to buy it at a small museum to
avoid the long lines at the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay. You can also buy one at major metro stations, at the Tourist Information Bureau Carrousel du Louvre,;at the National Tourist Bureau: 127 avenue des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Paris (open daily from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.); and at railway stations: Information-Tourist Bureaux located in the Montparnasse, Nord, Est, Lyon, and Austerlitz stations. I bought one at my hotel front desk at no extra charge.
No need to pay extra to buy it from an agency at home.

regarding the Louvre
www.louvre.fr Louvre guide
A good article to give you an orientation to the Louvre: www.canoe.ca/TravelEurope/louvre.html

Last time I checked the Louvre normally closes at 6pm but two nights each week, Monday and Wednesday, it is open until 9:45, although the entire museum may not stay open during the evening hours. The Louvre website will tell you which galleries and sections are closed on which days and evenings and it is very helpful.
The longest entrance line for the Louvre is the main one starting in the courtyard at the Pyramid. The line is long there because everyone's bags have to be run through an x-ray machine. There is another entrance at Porte des Lions, between the Arc du Carrousel and the Tuileries Gardens. A highly-recommended entrance is the underground entrance from the metro stop "Palais Royal-Musee du Louvre". Either splurge and use a ticket to enter the metro or, if you are already coming off a metro train, exit at the far end of the platform where the sign says "direct access to the Louvre" and you will walk through a security check, then the Carrousel shops, and into the central ticket and information area.

If you enter off the rue de Rivoli across from the Palais Royal, you can also take the entrance via the Louvre Carrousel shops. If instead you walk under the archway, you will find a guard who will let you enter through an express escalator if you have the museum pass.

Jan 11th, 2002, 06:25 AM
kate

sorry ...I should have said that the Louvre is open at night..I was thinking that we went on a Thursday..
I remember that we used ours by sections of the city, the Right Bank was one day,Left the next, and we went to the Musee Picasso and the Carnavalet one day in the Marais,which was very nice and a change of pace.Sorry for the mistake~

Jan 11th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Suzy

We bought the Museum Pass at the Metro station as soon as we got to Paris. It isn't activated till you use it the first time. It is inexpensive to purchase the passes first of all BUT we were able to show the pass and walk right into the Louvre through a different entrance when the line was winding all through the Louvre courtyard. Then again we showed our pass at the D'Orsay when it was drizzling and windy and the line was longer than the length of the museum itself. All we did was walk up the person at the gate at the beginning of the line and show them that we had the passes and they showed us where they wanted us to go. We saved HOURS by not waiting in line and having the Museum passes. They certainly were worth it for us. Thanks.

Jan 11th, 2002, 06:39 AM
kati

There's no need to buy your Carte Musees before you get to Paris if it involves paying a service charge, because they are so easily available all over Paris. I bought mine from the Tourist Info office at CDG while I was waiting for my ride into Paris (I think my cost was about $35 for the 5-day pass in March 2001). They are also sold in train stations and the major Metro stations.

Jan 11th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Kay

Re: times the museums are open

I found that you could not count on any published schedule about closing days and hours. Even pamplets my hotel provided were not accurate. I suggest you call or have your hotel call and check what is open at what hours when you arrive. Good luck. When I was there the D'Orsay was flooded and never reopened while I was there, the Orangerie(sp) was touring and the building being remodeled. I did enjoy the Louvre, Rodin, Cluny and many others.

Jan 13th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Diane

A friend and I had planned on purchasing a pass when we go to Paris in May. I was told by friends that just got back from Paris that the only Museum they were able to get into without waiting in line{with the Pass} was the Louve- at a separate entrance. Otherwise they had to wait in the same long lines as other patrons because of new security measures. Is this true? Thank you, Diane

Jan 13th, 2002, 04:14 PM
c

Not true last time I was there-this past late summer-we went to the Invalides,D'Orsay,Versailles and of course the Louvre.The small ones like some in the Marais and maybe the Picasso we walked inside,and through the doors without any waiting, I do not remember if there were lines ...otherwise I do remember walking past lines at the Louvre and the D'Orsay and feeling weird ,like I had cut in front~