what area to stay in Paris

May 19th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

what area to stay in Paris

My wife and I will be having a week in Paris and have been recommended an apartment in the 7th, about 10 minutes from the Eiffel tower. We don't mind walking however are concerned that we should be more central to the main attractions and cafes of St.Germain and the Latin quarter
May 19th, 2008, 02:57 AM

We stayed in the 6th and 7th on a recent trip. They were both very nice. The sixth is much more lively and central to many things you will want to see. The 7th is beautiful, but quieter.

If you've never been before, I would stay in the 6th. Also, do a search on this topic. You will find tons of information here about this.

Enjoy your trip!
May 19th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shelley,
I was told that the 7th is more large scale public buildings and parklands and might lack the life and vibrancy of the 5th & 6th
We are 400 metres from Ecole Militaire
metro so having heard of the efficiency of the paris metro perhaps being we are not disadvantaged if we stay in the 7th. and use the metro as well as walking
May 19th, 2008, 04:02 AM

I've been staying in the 7th for 30+ years. I wouldn't characterize it as being full of large-scale public buildings and parklands at all. For sure it's not as densely packed with commercial establishments as the 5th and 6th - it's more residential - but there's no dearth of restaurants and cafés and stores, and buses and the métro will get you anywhere in a few minutes. I love the 7th, especially because it feels like you're living in a neighborhood. I walk to the 6th and 5th from there all the time. Then I come back for a good night's sleep.
May 19th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank StCirq
That sounds very convincing. We are looking at staying on rue st. dominique near rue sedillot, do you have any suggestions for cafes/restaurants/bars in the area
May 19th, 2008, 04:39 AM

duddite:

The rue ste-Dominique probably has more of my favorite restaurants on it than any other street in Paris. You'll laugh when you get there and wonder where those large-scale public buildings and parklands are, honestly.

La Fontaine de Mars, Thoumieux, and Café Constant are just the first three that come to mind, but trust me, the street is LINED with fabulous boulangeries, patisseries, tea salons, cafés, restaurants, chocolatiers, and every imaginable kind of store.
May 19th, 2008, 04:41 AM

That location is still a good walk (600-700 meters) to either Ecole M. or Latour Mauberge metro stations. You might need to augment with the bus system, which runs several lines surrounding your location. You use the same ticket as you would the metro. You can get a large street map with the bus lines on it from the ticket office.

I think there might be some fun shopping along rue St Dominique.

If you pull up Google maps, put rue Sedillot, Paris in it, then search for "restaurant", you will get a good list:
La Fontaine de Mars - 129, Rue St Dominique
Les Fables de la Fontaine - 131, Rue St Dominique
Le Violon d'Ingres - 135, Rue St Dominique
Au Bon Accueil - 14, Rue Monttessuy
Le Clos des Gourmets - 16, Avenue Rapp
Sancerre - 22, Avenue Rapp
Le Petit Troquet - 28, Rue Exposition
May 19th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help
May 19th, 2008, 04:48 AM

Ooops, I think I mixed up Christian Constant's restaurant locations - it's the Violon d'Ingres that's on rue Ste-Dominique, not Café Constant.
May 19th, 2008, 06:38 AM

>Then I come back for a good night's sleep.<

You are right about that. I slept with my window open that last night, and I was amazed how quiet it was for being right in the middle of a huge city, and how nice for sleeping!
May 19th, 2008, 06:47 AM

All the Constant restaurants are on St. Dominique.Violon, Cocottes, Cafe Constant and Fables.

The 7th has more high end restaurants and bibb gourmand restaurants thanthe 4th, 5th, 6th combined.

It is not the touristy atmosphere. It is more of a village atmosphere.

The bus, metro to/from the area is excellent to wherever you want to go.

Enjoy.....