what area in Venice???

Search

what area in Venice???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what area in Venice???

Okay amazing Fodorites - I think that we will be headed to Venice from Paris and I am currently searching lodging for a family of 4 - 10 year old girl, 13 year old girl - It is VERY last minute for reasons out of control - so no scolding please .
Budget is - well, blown because thus far I am out 5,000.00 for the Safari and 4,700.00 on Airfrance - (can use that on a future trip)... we generally "do" apartments and so we would do about 3 nights for a short stay...
thanks in advance as always - I know nothing about Venice but Ira - you suggested it and after researching the CASTELLO DI CASTELLAMMARE DEL GOLFO I do not think we are going that route...
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM

What time of the year are you going? If summer, take a look at properties on the Lido - the girls might enjoy having a beach; you can get shuttles to Venice (free if staying at the starwood properties there). It had a more resort type feel to it when we were there last August. However, with our two boys, we never saw the beach...took an early shuttle in each morning and stayed the entire day thru dinner.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Venice is a wonderful idea for you. You might e-mail Pension La Calcina and see if by chance one of the apartments they manage is still available:

www.lacalcina.com is their website

People here can recommend other places to check for a shortstay apartment.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

good to know on the starwood we have points et... thank you! It is in July...
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Enizan - thank you so much - I will check that out!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM

There are several Starwood properties in and around Venice. The two on the Lido are Category 5 (Hotel des Bains) and Category 6 (Westin Excelsior) respectively---meaning 12,000 to 16,000 starpoints per night for one and 20,000+ for the other. Ouch.

A good place to find (but not book) hotels in Venice (if you don't get enough recommendatins here) is VeniceBy.com. It can tell you which places have family rooms, which will be the limiting factor for you. After identifying which ones have family rooms, you can e-mail the place directly to ask about availability. At least that's what I do---I don't like using booking sites and prefer dealing directly with the hotel.

Some people will recommend great places, but they won't have family rooms. So an apartment would be best. If La Calcina has one of there's available, I'd say grab it---the location is great, and the people at the hotel are very nice.

Also try uning the "search" function here for "Venice apartments".

Good luck.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM

We stayed at hotel des bains on lido for 10,000 points per night I believe. They had a shuttle to the Westin where the water taxi took us to one of three drop off spots in Venice (all Starwood hotels..danieli, excelsior or gritti palace).
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:04 PM

They must have "upped" the amount because I just checked today, trying to help dawnnoelm out. But 12,000 isn't bad, if you have the points. It sounds like a nice place if you have children along.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Enizan - no 12,000 is not bad - we have a lot of Amex points which I can convert if we do not have enough starwood points. It would be helpful to have something work out!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM

dawnnoelm, As I understand it you are traveling fairly soon. But no one besides cmyer and I seem to have noticed this thread. You might try a new query with the title "Family Room or apartment in Venice?" to get the attention of the experts here. I've only been there one and only stayed at La Calcina, in the hotel (not the apartments).

I know there are people here that have stayed with their family in apartments. . . just have to get them to help you out here.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again - I will try that when I return later this afternoon.

Yes, I leave on June 28th - we have NO reservations in Europe from July 2 - July 9 - we were supposed to be in South Africa. The Dr. is saying our dd cannot travel to Africa.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I recommend you get a 2-bedroom apartment. Many of the hotels own apartments located a block or two from the main hotel.

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ralphie - we only want to stay a few nights so I am not an apartment will work; most have a min. of a 4 night stay that I have been able to find thus far. We might be willing to pay that rate though as sometimes it still works out to be more budget friendly.