What are your thoughts on Testaccio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about a first trip to Rome next year, probably alone (30 yr old female)

I'm interested in learning more about the Testaccio area, because accomodation is cheaper there and it seems like the kind of neighbourhood I enjoy.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about staying in this area?

The fact that it is a working class neighbourhood "in transition" appeals to me, and that it is an area known for traditional eateries. For reference, in Paris I quite liked the feel of the 11th arrondissement (about 5 years ago) and in Florence I really liked the Otlrarno area (only got to explore the central bit in the areas between the Ponte Vecchio to the Santa Maria delle Carmine, although while taking the bus to Siena, I thought the neighbourhoods even further south of the city looked interesting).

I don't mind a bit of grit or taking public transportation. I live in a big city and am very used to both. I wouldn't want to feel stuck out in the middle of nowhere, however. I'd want lots of people and restaurants and shops and life around. And I wouldn't want to be too far from the sights- not more than say 10 minutes on public transportation, or within reasonable walking distance.

I'm also unsure if perhaps it is better to stay in a more central touristy area for a first-time trip, especially for a first time trip alone.

Anyone's thoughts, opinions, and experiences would be greatly appreciated, as would any good links or websites someobe may have share. So far, I'm finding it a little difficult to find good info that can give me a feel for the area. Other neighbourhood recommendations are of course welcome, too.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Good afternoon, Apres,

Although I did not stay in Testaccio when I was in Rome, I stayed close by in Aventino; Testaccio was at the bottom of Aventino Hill. My husband and I ate in Testaccio quite often because the establishments are very "Roman."

Whether or not staying in Testaccio appeals to you from a distance standpoint is really up to you. We did not mind walking from Aventino to the sites closer in. We had beautiful weather and truly enjoyed being out. Just to give you an example, the Colosseum was about a 15 or 20 minutes walk for us -- less than 10 by cab. Via Marmorata is a large street that separates Aventino and Testaccio and there are frequent bus stops. I do not think you will have any problems getting around. Just my two cents worth.

Enjoy your trip and best of luck to you.

Best regards,
Donna
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Our family spent very little time in Testaccio during a 7 1/2 day stay in rome earlier this year. The times we did go we found public transit (buses) quite convenient but a lot of major sights would be more than 10 minutes away.

Here is an article about the neighborhood that appeared in april:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../specialTravel

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM

In the past two years, I've spent 30 days alone in Rome (over four trips) and have been to Testaccio several times. I agree that there are good bus connections on Via Marmorata, and you can catch the 30 Express bus to Piazza Navona and #3 to Labicana, right behind the Colosseum (just two examples).

I have enjoyed this area, and of course Volpetti's is there (fantastic cheese/sausage shop), but I still prefer to stay near the Piazza Navona. I prefer the lively evenings in that area. I do think that especially for a first time, you might want to be closer to more things. Anything in the Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori/Pantheon area is good.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM

I agree with SusanP. I have been to Testaccio a few times and have really enjoyed it. I have thought about staying there too - because of the inexpensive accommodations and because it is authentic Roma, but I think for the first timer, the Navona, Pantheon,Campo dei Fiori (centro storico)areas would be a better introduction to Roma and easier to find your way around. I usually stay in Trastevere now, which is an easy walk to most everything, including Testaccio, but my first few trips I stayed in the centro storico. BTW Roma is a great place to travel solo - you will love it.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Perhaps staying in the Campo de' Fiori/Navona area would be best for a first visit...also my first trip going solo. I hadn't thought about the weather/rain (looking at November right now) and plain old ease of navigation. I do like lively cafe nightlife, and narrow, atmospheric streets.

Then I read something like that Globe & Mail article (great link!) and I get all gushy thinking about Testaccio again. I think it's the butcher shops-I'm fascinated by them.

I am definately going to have to set aside a day to explore Testaccio on this trip, at the very least. I'm glad to read the positive comments here. I had also forgotten about the English cemetary- Shelley and Keats.

Thanks again for the responses!

...and bumping this up for anyone else who might like to share their thoughts or specific recommendations for shops/eateries/walking/exploring etc. in Testaccio.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Don't forget that testaccio has a bunch of very very loud and crowded nightclubs on a strip. if you do decide to stay there, try not to stay near the nightclubs as the vibes from their music can be felt and heard for blocks. Personally, I think it is too far. I always stay near Navona, Trevi, Pantheon or Fiori
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 02:50 AM

I had really wanted to go to the market in Testaccio which is much less touristy than Campo de Fiori, but we never managed to get there during our stay. My husband was quite fascinated by the pyramid of Caius Cestius )12 BC tomb of a wealthy Roman magistrate) so we took a bus ride there one morning to see it and the Protestant cemetery, then continued toward the Palatine. The nearby section of the Aurelian wall is also very
impressive

In addition to looking for a place to stay near Piazza Navona or Campo de fiori, you might want to try Trastevere near the Isola Tiberina or the ghetto neighborhood (really centrally located, still has a neighborhood feel despite gentrification). The ghetto is another good area for traditional restaurants.

As you start trying to find a place I would encourage you to think about an apartment instead of a hotel/B & B. we were surprised at how much less expensive they were, and staying in an apartment gives you more of a sense of the neighborhood