Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are your other favourite message board sites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Sandra

What are Fodorites' other favourite message board sites and why? I came across the Fodor's message boards a couple of months back while researching a holiday and have found the quality of contributions to be excellent. Now I'm addicted, and also very curious - where do you guys do your e-hanging out the rest of the time? <BR> <BR>Sandra <BR>

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Joanne

Since you're on aol, I hope you've tried the AOL country-specific travel boards. The ones I've visited have lots of friendly and chatty posters.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Dale

Try Slow Travelers. It's the best! Ciao.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Judy

Hi Sandra, I like AOL's message board too. I don't have AOL, but my son does, and I try to log on when possible. <BR>Are you from the UK? Are there any boards that originate there? Love the UK and Ireland BTW. <BR>Judy

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Ben Haines

I use http://www.lonelyplanet.com, then Thorn Tree, then WEast Europe and West Euerope. The foul language is terrible, but these young people reach parts of Europe that sedate members of Fodors seldom penetrate. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:00 PM
guy

theonion.com

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:01 PM
sandra

Hi Judy, yes I'm from the UK. We love you right back - as our dear prime minister is seemingly at pains to demonstrate to anyone who will listen! I've only been to the US once but I can't wait to go back. <BR> <BR>I'm ashamed to say I'm not really aware of any majorly cool U.K. boards - but I guess they must exist. Maybe I'll do some more research on that. I like the "international" feel of Fodor's tho. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have any suggestions for non-travel boards too? Where are the best discussions to be found on life, the universe and such things? I don't want to turn into a complete computer nerd, but this is so much fun - and so much better than just coming home and watching TV isn't it? Or at least I like to persuade myself that it is.... And indeed, surely if one is going to be addicted, one may as well be addicted to the best quality boards? <BR> <BR>E-Sandra. <BR>xxx

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Joanne

If it's life, the universe, and everything that you're interested in, I suggest the following: <BR> <BR>http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/ <BR> <BR>http://www.douglasadams.com/ <BR> <BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/...00/1326695.stm

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Christina

I'm a classical pianist so like www.pianoworld.com, they have a lot of good forums on piano issues (performance, construction, technical, repertoire, etc); and in French language, I like the Camus forum as he is one of my favorite French authors (webcamus.free.fr)

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:52 PM
mimi taylor

Sandra there is also ricksteves.com, patriciawells.com(but this site is on hiatus), getaway travel, independent traveller, but none are as active or knowledgeable as Fodors. <BR>I want to add that I miss alot of posters and hope you can benefit from them. Too many to name and don't want to miss naming one, but they know who they are. Please return soon.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Domestic

Martha Stewart.com

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Dan

to the top

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 02:19 AM
Paula

I like to read theknot.com - it's a wedding website. I'm getting married next year and there are all sorts of threads there giving great advice about the sort of thing only other paranoid brides give a sh** about. There are also lots of arguments, which is fun. <BR> <BR>P

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 02:44 AM
Doug Weller

A very big site I've found is <BR>http://www.virtualtourist.com <BR> <BR>Haven't spent a lot of time there yet, but it looks good. <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 02:45 AM
Doug Weller

Forgot one of my very favourite message boards, Chowhound! <BR> <BR>http://www.chowhound.com

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 03:22 AM
robdaddy

For travel in France, Bonjour Paris.com. Lots of interesting articles, photos, etc. And of great interest to me lately, every 2 or 3 days they offer a pretty in-depth news report from the Hexagon...good source for updates on strikes, demonstrations, French reaction to anthrax scares and other world events, etc. Strictly in terms of chat, can't hold a candle to Fodors, but lots of other fun stuff you can use. They also have a free e-mail newsletter. Enjoy!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 03:23 AM
Mariarosa

Google groups have forums for just about every subject imaginable, including travel, plus they have the best search function ever. They also require users to register, which keeps away trolls. On the downside, it dosn't get as many visitors as this site, and when you post, it takes a few hours for it to show on the site. <BR> <BR>Go to: <BR>www.google.com <BR>Click on "Groups" <BR>Click on "rec" (for recreation forums) <BR>Click on "travel" <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:10 AM
pat

Just checked out Virtualtourist.com and it looks really informative.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:55 AM
A.M.

A "travel back in time" website that I enjoy is gradfinder.com <BR>A.M.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Diane

I have several pages on Virtualtourist -- as do other Fodorites -- you can post pictures with your travelogues. Over there I'm known as Radiomom...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -