Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are you changing to still travel carry-on only?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After five years of learning, shopping and adapting to a carry-on luggage only method of travel, I am loathe to give up the benefits just because I can’t carry liquids onto the plane. I am interested in hearing from others who are also going to adapt rather than check their bags. Here’s what I have come up with for my trip to Spain in late October:

1. Convinced DH to buy a stick deodorant, rather than the “gel stick” he prefers.

2. Bought Eco-dent tooth powder at a local health food store. I could wait and buy toothpaste in Spain after arrival, but I really want to be able to brush my teeth on the plane after the overnight flight. They also sell it on Amazon for about $4

3. I am allowed to take my small bottle of contact lens solution, and the 2 oz. bottle I have is plenty for the 10-day trip. I am guessing that the saline nasal spray will be okay, too, but if they take it, they take it.

4. I purchased a solid, powder-crème foundation – the kind that comes in a compact. I would love to be able to forego makeup on a vacation, but I just don’t have the skin for it. I will live without mascara, though!

5. I am bringing a solid bar of Doc Bronner’s soap, which will do in a pinch as laundry soap or shampoo, as well.

6. I will miss my small bottles of Febreze and wrinkle releaser, but I will just bring a small empty spray bottle and de-wrinkle with plain water as best I can.

7. DH is a camera nut, so he located and purchased individually wrapped lens cleaning wipes in lieu of the liquid lens cleaner he usually uses.

8. I also bought some individually wrapped Dove body wipes for freshening up on the plane.

Once we arrive in Spain, we will visit El Corte Ingles for any additional necessities. Our first night is at the Westin Palace, won on a Priceline bid, so I have a little extra comfort there, since we won’t be in a budget place, and they should have the basic amenities.

How is everyone else adapting? Are you still carry-on only? Any more tips for ways to adapt?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Saw another post that reminded me of another thing . . .

Key fob for car will be locked in the trunk of the car at the airport parking area. We'll bring the valet key only. The other spare will be with my sister who lives in our departure city.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Wow, ndf,
You are committed to carry on! Good list. I've just decided to check and already I like the idea of walking on the plane with very little.
I'm sure you'll be able to buy mascara at your destination. Or you could have your lashes dyed. (I don't know how truly committed you are.) An eyelash curler may help... you may have guess I love mascara.
About the saline nasal spray- a little salt packet and some fresh bottle water will help if you want to do a "nasal wash".
To unwrinkle your clothes make sure your are steamy.

Someone posted last month about a solid shampoo you can buy from Lush.com.

Spain is wonderful- have a great time.
Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Before you lock that key fob in the trunk, make sure you can open the trunk with the valet key.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:35 AM

My lipstick and individual Zicam nasal swabs were confiscated at LHR last week.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Also, they asked me if I had any "hand wipes"!!!!I did not.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:39 AM

I think this is an admirable plan, and I hope it works for you. Please report back after your trip and let us know. Just be aware that security situations can change and that airports aren't consistent in how they interpret the rules (see the posts about the weirdness of Zurich's screeners and the things they sometimes confiscate).

For myself, though it's my preference, I've given up on the idea of carrying on. At the very least I need hair gel, and I can't think of a substitute for that, so I'm just going to check a bag on my next flight to Rome via London.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:42 AM

I was told I couldn't bring my lipstick in my carry on at CDG last week.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've converted to (or already used) most of the items you mention. Coming home I can always check the bag if need be. But I hate checking a bag on the outward flight. (and before anyone jumps in that they hate people who take the kitchen sink - I only take a single 19 inch bag and a small handbag - no back pack, duffel, day pack.) I'm thinking of downsizing even more to an 18 inch bag to make security screening even easier.

Lush is a good source for solid shampoos, etc. But I don't usually bother since many hotels provide decent shampoo.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
About lipstick. I would not check a bag simply to be able to carry my favorite lipstick. Rules are changing and some report having lipsticks banned while others have been able to keep them. But if that was the only thing holding you back - you can buy lipstick when you land.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

I know the valet key doen NOT open the trunk, but it opens the door, and I can then pop the trunk with the button inside.

I am hopeful about my plan, but of course, things could change by our trip, or with the mood of our airport screener. The contact lens solution is my only do or die item, but I think I'll "adapt" by wearing my glasses. Then, if we have to check, I can survive until Spain.

I certainly hope they sell decent hair gel in Spain, because DH will look pretty shaggy if he has to go without!

Honestly, it would take some pretty severe restrictions to quell my excitement about this trip. And usually, I can't get DH to "shop" much on vacations, so I am looking forward to him having to put up with it out of necessity.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:50 AM

You had better check and recheck and recheck again what you can/cannot take departing from the U.S. and then returning from a European airport. They are different. Apparently going over you can take things that you cannot bring in carryon to the U.S. According to the British Airways site The UK Gov. does not allow any cosmetics, including tube lipstick in carryon. Of course, this can change daily, but do not assume you can travel with these items. A friend just returned from Germany, she was unable to bring any cosmetic items on board her flight, and that included face powder (compact) and lipstick in a tube. Individual "wipes" that are pre-packed/sealed were not allowed either. I believe keyfobs are allowed on all flights now.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Doug, while I am grinning at the thought of you checking your bag so you can bring hair gel, and thinking that we must be from really different generations, I must say that from my observations of men in Rome there is plenty available there. The guys spend more time examining their hair in the store windows than the women do.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:10 AM

My daughter left DFW with lipstick, mascara and all in purse with no probelm.

Departing from home all those were confiscated. I warned her! She was so upset as a college student she does not have a lot of extra money lying around.
This is a frightening part - she accidently showed her "fake ID" to the security at DFW and got through.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I'm very particular about my hair products. (Am I getting too defensive?)

To be honest, I'm just too weary to fight it any longer. I know I can get most of the things I need (and probably the same brands), but the expense and annoyance of having to replace all my toiletries upon arrival whenever I travel is just too much. So I give up. I'll be checking from now on.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I haven't really found it very difficult. I am leaving on 9/18 and I am 99% packed.

Changed to some powdered toothpaste for my carry-on and put other toothpaste and liquids in my check-on bag.

Have a good trip..
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I just read on another thread that a traveler was stuck in Paris for three days without luggage. I am not at all thrilled about having to check.

I would be willing to buy whatever I need upon landing. I don't have any trouble checking on the way home. I have enough clothes at home. ;-)

I'm just saying that it is very difficult to know what to do.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:30 AM

You don't necessarily need a "wrinkle releaser" if you have one hanger and a shower.

Since you are going to the El Corte Ingles anyway why force someone to change deodorants when you could probably buy a gel stick, shampoo, etc., etc., there?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:32 AM

My other question would be how are you getting what you ARE taking into one carry-on the size of a 'small laptop bag' (in the case of BA which I am using to London next week)?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

As far as the deoderant goes, he can buy whatever he likes when we get there. But if he needs some before we ever get off the plane, or if we get delayed somehow, he can get by.

Fortunately, I do not have to fly through Great Britain. Our flight is from PIT-EWR-MAD. I think that a connection in London--or any of the other places that are officially limiting carry-on luggage so strictly--would make it impossible for me to even attempt this.

In that case, instead of "adapting" what I carry-on, I would have to "adapt" to checking my luggage. Or to losing my luggage!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -