Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the most scenic places to visit in Bavaria region ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am planning to visit Munich for 4-5 days. Planning to do Munich city, Neuschwanstein Castle, Dachau camp. What are the other most scenic places to visit in the Bavaria region ?? Would be travelling further to Prague, Budapest, Salzburg. Also is it better to book hotels online in advance or should one come there and book on the spot, as I did not have good experience with hotels in Paris earlier.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 01:07 AM

According to me, Nuremberg, Munich and Neuschwanstein Castle are the famous and beautiful places where you should visit in Bavaria region. After these, Hotel Beaubourg could be the best option for you. It is 3 star hotel. If you are planing any other places to visit and looking for best hotel deal then visit www.hotelurbano.com.br, here you can get every information and discounts as well.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 01:37 AM

Bavaria is the largest state in Germany and there are lots of scenic places to see there. We live about 20 minutes from Nuremberg and while there are interesting elements to it (its role in the Third Reich for one) it is really not that beautiful--it is a big city, mainly reconstructed after being mostly leveled in WWII. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a beautiful walled medieval town that is a must-see, Bamberg has a UNESCO standing for its brewery culture, Wurzburg is also a UNESCO world heritage site for the palace/church/cloisters, Regensburg is a lovely town--it all depends on what you are interested in and what you want to experience of the country.

Farther south there is Garmish and the Zugspitze, the Bavarian Alps are gorgeous, and yes, you WILL need to make reservations for hotels. First, online reservations are generally cheaper and second, you will have a hard time finding rooms if you are visiting during peak tourist times. This is especially true for the big cities or major tourist spots. I would suggest 3 star or better hotels, the ones with lower ratings tend to be grotty (especially in Prague and Budapest).
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,was doing some research & found Berchtesgaden to be gorgeous,am thinking of doing the Munich area and then moving here and then to Salzburg, Vienna, Prague & Budapest. Any advice on how many days would be sufficient here. Also is it better to stay in a hotel or the private B&B as we are vegetarians.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 05:10 AM

My vote is for the Fränkischen Schweiz and partake in one of the numerous Biergarten hikes that are available.

Lodha, unless you can get by on a breakfast that consists solely of cereal, bread, tomatoes, fruit, muesli, softboiled eggs, yogurt, and cheese, a B&B might have a hard time accommodating your vegetarian request.

See what I did there?
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 02:23 PM

I like what they call "Upper Bavaria" (not Northern Bavaria as you might guess but Southern Bavaria which is in the alps). There is a belt from the East to the West that has lots of mountains, picturesque villages, Ludwig Castles and friendly people.

There is an Ludwig Castle on Herren Chiemsee Island about half way from Munich to Salzburg. Further up the road is Bertschesgaden then Salzburg.

West of that area is Garmish and the close-by violin maker's village Mittenwald. The Ettal Monastary is worth a stop. Then Ludwig's Schlos Linderhof and Oberammergau. A little further down the road is the beautiful rococo church, Wiesekirche. Then you are in Fussen to see Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein. The whole area is about 60-80 miles from East to West but because of mountain roads it will take a little more driving than that.

Depending on which route you take you can go through Hall and Innsbruck.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM

In the Berchtesgaden area, we loved Herenchiemsee and the boat ride on Lake Koenigsee.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B&Bs usually don't serve dinner; otherwise they'd be called B&Ds

You haven't said when you're going, nor for how long; hotel tip above is wise during high season. otherwise, pensions (B&Bs, to the Yanks) are a good bet, and during low season the local TI (tourist info office) can find and book one easily.

Sparkchaser's tip re Fränkischen Schweiz might be good; it seemed somewhat like Colorado to me.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:45 AM

If the B&B (actually you should be searching for Gasthaus) offers half-board, that means breakfast and dinner is provided.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:38 PM

4-5 days is a little time for Bavaria, I spent 4 nights in Munich and I needed more when I left.
Anyway, if you reach Garmisch in the south of Munich (2.20 hours train ride) then I too recommend a quick visit to Oberammergau (40 min. ride to the west)or Mittenwald (20 min. bus to south east of Garmisch).

Just plan well, be reasonable with travel timing, book your hotels in advance at least that will save you time, and good luck.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:46 PM

We were to Munich, Rothemburg ob der Tauber(a must for us), Salzburg,another must, for some two days.
Prague and Budapest deserve some three days each.

Enjoy!