Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which are skipable for firstimer: Munich/Fussen, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Budapest?

Search

Which are skipable for firstimer: Munich/Fussen, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Budapest?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have 12-day vacation. Equally love to visit these places, but not sure if I could extend my holidays.

I'm into lovely, grand, historic or artistic sights, either classic or modern. Will be travelling only by train. The period should be late August. Don't mind staying in more expensive citites, if they're really beautiful.

My current plan is
Munich/Fussen 3 days
Salzburg 1 day
Vienna and day trip to Budapest 4
Prague 2 days

Seems like I overly focus on Vienna and Munich. But I'm not sure what a justifiable trip should be. Pls advice.

Thank you.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:32 PM

For 12 days, you need to restrict yourself to no more than 3 places. If you run around all over you will see all the train stations but certainly not stay in anyone place long enough to see it.

I have been to Europe many times and have still not seen most of the places you listed. I have been to Fussen (but not Munich) and Vienna.

You need to do your own research and make up your own mind. The kind of question you asked cannot be answered by a third party or by a poll of people on fodors. Only you, after all, know what YOU want to see.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your message. I know that I need to skip some cities, and I posted this message to hear words of wisdom.

I've done much research about cities' highlights. But I can't trust pictures and encouragement from books or websites.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:28 PM

In my opinion it is better to delete Munich- Fussen.
Especially for a first time visitor - so much to see in the other cities that time will really be at a premium.
In my opinion many people try to squeeze in too much during a trip and really miss so many things and a real opportunity to experience the culture of these cities. They return home exhausted and have spent a good portion of their time traveling one place to another. Many see only the outside of fantastic museums and palaces. Take your time and enjoy- the pictures you have seen probably do not justify the beauty of the cities.
The cities you have picked offer so much to see.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Molker. Then I'll add remaining days in Prague and Budapest.

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:25 AM

Hi Jane,

I think that's a good choice - for 12 days, Salsburg/Vienna/Budapest/Prague sounds great to me! I am the kind of person who doesn't mind moving every 2 or 3 days to see different things, and this combo will give you that mix.

Have a great trip!

Karen
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:05 AM

I've been to Prague and Vienna; I've not been to Munich, Salzburg or Budapest.

Are you a nature person? If so, it seems like Munich and Fussen would have more to offer in that regard. That would be one factor.

Salzburg has a very prestigious classical music festival that runs until the end of August. I actually thought of organizing a visit this year to take in some of that, but my schedule didn't allow it.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:18 AM

I wouldn't change a thing. All of those places are worth seeing. The travel between these places is not bad at all. It's not like the U.S. where cities are 6 hours apart. Munich-Vienna is a 4-hour drive.

The only downside I see is that you're going to be Baroque-d out. Salzburg will see like a bore if you've already been to Vienna and Prague.

I'd bail on Salzburg and go to Wolfgangsee or Hallstatt in the nearby Salzkammergut. A total change of pace from the rest of your trip, but right on the way.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 08:55 AM

I've been to all these places except Fussen. My advice is to delete Munich/Fussen and probably Salzberg. Concentrate on the 3 major cities and perhaps some of the lovely areas outside of them. For example, there are some very interesting places on the Danube to the west of Vienna and between Vienna and Budapest. I might add some place like Karlovy Vary for a change of pace and totally different type of town and scenery. You might also want to consider taking the boat from Passau to Vienna as a different mode of transportation. Buda[est deserves 3 to 4 days on its own. Do a search for a recent thread on whether people would prefer Budapest of Vienna. As I recall, Budapest was the winner.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:09 AM

I have been to all the places you list except Prague...it is on the list.

You are getting a lot of ideas. One of the best is to limit your trip and get to really enjoy an area.

We have been to Vienna 3 times in the last 30 years of travel. One time in the summer, one time during Christmas markets and one time from a cruise. It has never turned into one of my favorites. It is a very large city with a lot of great buildings and traffic. I have driven a car there twice and it was no fun.

We enjoy the smaller Salzburg much more and have been there numerous times. Plus, Salzburg is easy access to Berchtesgaden and all that beauty of the Koingsee Lake, Kielstein and Obersalzburg area. "Sound of Music" country.

I think you are left to decide for yourself. If you enjoy the smaller towns and the beauty of the countryside you want Fussen, Salzburg area. If you enjoy large towns, cars, busses and many buildings and museums to see go for Vienna.

Budapest? My wife loved it when we went through there on a Danube cruise. Me? Not a place I need to return to, but nice to see.

Prague? Still need to get there and we will. Bottom line: Do less moving around and you will enjoy whatever trip you take much more.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:13 AM

JanePost: What are your travel arrangements? Fly into/out of? I am a big fan of of both Munich and Vienna and they both offer lots of what you are looking for. Praque and Budapest are more similar to Vienna and might not offer as much diversity if you dropped Munich from your itinerary. Salzburg is easily visited on your way from Munich to Vienna but is saturated with tourists. My advice, for what it's worth, is to stick to Munich and Vienna and plan some day trips from each city. Good luck.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Whatever other cities are chosen, I would not leave out Prague. The range of art and particularly of architecture -- from the Romanesque to Art Deco -- is without parallel in any other city.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Aww... your suggestions are very helpful to me. Thanks from my heart, seriously.

I'll be flying from either Milan or Verona or Venice after done working. But I hadn't yet decided where to fly into as I wasn't sure which place(s) I should skip. But I think I should look for Budapest or Vienna. (I feel insecure in night trains)

Well, I'll save Munich for my next and first-ever trip to Germany. And I'll consider nearby places such as Hallstatt and Carlovy as you suggested.

Wish for you excitement and new discoveries all through this year!