Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the different ways to get from Crete to Corfu and from Corfu to Athens?

Search

What are the different ways to get from Crete to Corfu and from Corfu to Athens?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am helping my nephew with his travel plans for this summer. Although I know that Crete has an airport, I can't seem to find an airline flying out of Crete. Any ideas? What are the airlines that fly from island to island? I will research the airfare once I find the airline, but generally speaking, what should he expect to spend for the first leg of this routing? Also, how do I research ferry travel?

Aegean Air offers 2 flights a day from Corfu to Athens, for 66euros, including taxes. Is this a reasonable fare? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for the information.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Aegean and Olympic both fly to Crete, to both Chania and Heraklion. You can fly from Crete to Corfu via Athens, not directly. No airline flies directly from island to island, they always return to Athens first. Corfu is also known as Kerkyra. 66 Euros is a good fare. Aegean always beats Olympic's fares, and they are the more reliable of the two these days.

Ferry Travel: Learn to navigate the website below and you'll be able to get a clear picture of what's available.

www.gtp.gr

Alternative to flying from Corfu would be to take the ferry to Igoumenitsa or Patras and the bus the rest of the way into Athens. I think flying is best if it's in the budget, especially if there's a time consideration.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I do not yet know where he'll be in (on?) Crete. Which of the 2 airports you mention are considered the "main" airport? Thanks again.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Heraklion is the capital of Crete so I guess that's the "main" airport as well, although many people avoid Heraklion because of its large size and reportedly dirty and citified atmosphere, and choose to go to Chania instead, especially if they plan to hike the Samarian Gorge. I always recommend it if for nothing else than for the Archaeological Museum and its close proximity to the Palace of Knossos. To some the Venetian architecture of Chania is as pleasant environment as you can find on Crete
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:37 PM

What I just wrote is a bit confusing. I meant to say I recommend Heraklion for the museum and palace.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Going from Corfu to Crete is probably best to fly, you will have to go via Athens. On Crete there are 3 airports the main one Iraklion, also Chania and Sitia. My personal preference would be Chania as it is much closer to possibly the best end of Crete.

There are also Ferries from Piraeus (nr Athens) to Chania, Rethymnon, Iraklion, Ag Nikolaos, Sitia. These may be preferable depending where on Crete you wish to go.

The main airline is Olympic Airways, and a couple of other smaller operators.

I have taken ferries/land routes from Corfu to Paxos, Kefalonia, Ithaki, Zante so I can give you more details of that area if needs be.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll start doing my homework.