Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the best ways to get from Gatwick and DeGaulle to the city centers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:59 AM
BSS71

Especially if you're not just going to a hotel (who may have a shuttle service)...

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:01 AM
janis

Both airports have excellent express train service into the city centers. The LGW express goes from the terminal to Victoria station. The RER from CDG to Gare du Nord.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 12:02 PM
mimi

From Gatwick we have taken the train and combined it with the shuttle service when you arrive in Victoria. There was a booth at Gatwick, at least there was in 1998, that sold this ticket. The shuttle then took you straight to your hotel. The last few times in Paris we have arranged the shuttle from an eight hundred number in the U.S. I found this in the yellow pages at the front of Frommers or Fodors book. I found this service worth the money when you are a woman with even just a suitcase and carryon.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 12:42 PM
philip

From DeGaulle, there is a train into Central Paris. From there you can take a cab or Metro, depending on your hotel. <BR>Frankly, I've found it easier to just a cab. But that costs about $50. Air France runs buses as well. <BR>If you take the train, just be aware that pickpockets have been known to target tourists who are distracted by their luggage and the crowd.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Leslie

The Gatwick Express train into Victoria Station is a piece of cake and reasonably priced. I've not taken a shuttle from Victoria to my hotel. Depending upon where you are staying I suppose, we found the cab fare reasonable from Victoria to any centrally located hotel in London..Besides, taxis in London are such a delight and so unique. You must take at least one! Why not make it the upon arrival? I found it greatly enhanced my excitement at arriving in London to pop into one of those cute taxis.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:41 AM
jean

Take the Roissy Bus from DeGaulle. You can buy your ticket on board (48 francs) and it will take you to the Opera stop which is right in front of the American Express office. Very easy and economical. We took the subway to & from the Opera stop going to & from the airport. There is a luggage rack on board, so if you don't have an enormous amount of luggage, it's really easy. I had a 23" & a carry on. <BR> <BR>Great if you like saving your money in Paris instead of getting to Paris. <BR>