Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Which gifts are appreciated in Italy from US?

Which gifts are appreciated in Italy from US?

Feb 17th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Morgan

Which gifts are appreciated in Italy from US?

We'd like to bring a selection of small gifts from the US to present to people in Italy that are of help to us (especially when we stay at B+Bs etc) What gifts have YOU given that seem to be really appreciated?
Morgan

Feb 17th, 2001, 05:01 PM
cmt

When I returned home after taking a tour in Sicily and meeting cousins there, I sent gifts from the USA to the cousins. I wanted them to see that in the USA we have our own fine crafts and not everything is high-tech and modern, so I sent some good beveled glass handcrafted boxes made by a craftsman from my area. I also sent a big bunch of picture postcards of my state, especially varied nature scenes of land and sea and different kinds of terrain and small historic sites and pretty towns with interesting period architecture. They LOVED the postcards. That has led me to conclude that calendars with beautiful photos of my state might be a nice, easy to carry, and appreciated gift next time.

Feb 17th, 2001, 08:07 PM
gb

We've exchanged gifts with a family in Italy for the past several years. The woman seems to enjoy inexpensive silver Native American jewelry, and a leaded glass item with dried local flowers. They also enjoyed a picture book and calendar of our state. The man enjoyed some of the electronic devices, and local food. The teens enjoyed CD's and a portable CD player ($30), beanie babies, mugs, and baseball caps. All enjoy the variety of everyday candy we have. I left postcards of our area with an email address to people we met, and have received some messages.

Feb 18th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Ed

There's virtually nothing the US has that Italy doesn't have.

Electronics are a bit more expensive there, so there's a possibility there.

What I generally find most appreciated, and what I most appreciate myself as a gift from foreign visitors, is something from my home area.

Perhaps a craft specialty from the area, something Indian if you're from Oklahoma, a coffee-table picture book of your city. Most of us have something in nearby stores like that and you'll think of the right one for your area I'm sure.

Ed

Feb 18th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Glamorgan

I was told that pecans are a delicacy and they are a specialty of my state, so I took a few cans of them to Italy. I got the strangest, strangest looks when I gave them -- so DON'T take pecans!

But seriously: not everyone in Italy is as obsessed with sports as Americans are, but there's certainly a chance you'll run across a soccer (football) nut somewhere along the line. If you come from a city with a pro soccer team, consider something with that team's logo on it.

Otherwise, stay as local as you can -- even those tiny jars of jam are nice IF they are from a local producer. Sachets made from local plants are nice but smell up your own luggage.

Finally, consider carrying small cards -- say, those embossed postcards you can get at Hallmark -- to write your own testimonial ("Grazie Paulo for everything. So charming. Everything was perfect!") and your name and hometown, so they can post it somewhere if they wish.

Feb 18th, 2001, 07:35 AM
fred

morgan i dont know your families tastes but our relatives in italy love 100%pure maple syrup. it travels easier and safer in a can. of all the things we could bring this is the most requested item. good trip

Feb 18th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Ed

Pecans?

Curious.

Perhaps 10-15 years ago we had (North AMerican) friends living in both Italy and Switzerland that implored us to bring bags of pecans when we visited. (For pecan pies.) Somewhere along the way, 5 years or more ago, they said, "Stop ... we can get all we want now."

Did they suddenly become popular and so stores started stocking them? Or did the Europeans loosen up one of their many protective tariffs?

Ed

Feb 19th, 2001, 01:09 PM
julia

Bring back CHOCOLATE or ceramics!

Feb 19th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Melissa

Foodstuffs from your area are always appreciated! I live in Hawaii so I always bring chocolate covered macadamia nuts....the kind with packaging that shows hula girls, tropical sunsets, flowers, and waterfalls. It shows people where I'm from and literally gives them a taste of my world.

Feb 20th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Sharron

When we visited some of my husbands family in Italy last summer we also took pecans, orange blossom honey, (we're from Florida) and Columbian coffee beans. Also, the biggest bag of M&M's, about 3lbs, from Sam's, which is a warehouse club for those of you who don't have them. It wasn't so much the candy, but the huge bag which was kind of a novelty. They loved the honey and the coffee beans and asked us to send more after we returned home.

Feb 20th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Thyra

We brought some hand crafted Native American jewelry to Greece to give you the contacts who had acted as liasons for our Yacht Charter...they were very appreciated and unusual for Italy. I also brought some kind of funny 'tacky' Hollywood T-Shirts for our captain who was wonderfully ecentric and actually wore his so much we started calling him Capitain Hollywood.

Feb 20th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Thyra

OOPs make that unusual for Greece... however I have also sent similar items to friends we have met in Italy and they seem to have been well recieved.

Feb 20th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Lexma90

Note about giving calendars as gifts: European calendars (or at least Italian and French ones) start with the first day on Monday. I bought one in Italy once, and every time I glanced over at my calendar, I was off by a day, because I was accustomed to seeing Sunday on the far left. Not that that's a problem, but I eventually stopped using it (except to admire the pictures) because I messed my dates up so many times - Italians may have the same hassle, vice versa

Apr 15th, 2001, 04:48 PM
xxx

topping for someone with similar question

Apr 15th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Reen

The little hand-painted ceramic wine bottle corks are great. About $7.50

Apr 16th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Howard

Not to be a contrarian, and I may be reading this incorrectly, but it seems that the people the original questioner is talking about would want cash tips, rather than some maple syrup, etc. If I were working in a similar situation, money would be a lot better and more useful than some little trinket. Yes, the thought is nice, and quaint - but the questioner here is not talking about relatives, but about workers who are trying to make a living.

Apr 16th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Rex

I agree with Howard. Gather up the least expensive item (a postcard, a brochure - - anything) that shows off well, something you're proud of from YOUR hometown or locality - - and attach it to a 10.000 LIT note. The deluxe version would have two such notes.

And for people to whom you REALLY want to show your appreciation, take a few minutes - - and try in broken Italian or English they can readily understand - - what is this place (on your brochure, postcard, etc) and why people in your town are proud of it.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jun 20th, 2001, 05:27 AM
jo

I am adding to list post.

I need ideas for 2 boys ages 13 and 8 they are my cousins kids and since we will be visiting them I would like to bring something for the boys.

I was thinking of Yankees baseball caps/ shirts.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Jun 20th, 2001, 04:14 PM
fred

howard- perhaps the message was not clear enoough on my part but i have given the maple syrup in addition to the customary cash tips. htat little extra is well recieved by them. also our relatives love the the stuff so we bring it for them as they enjoy it so much

Jun 21st, 2001, 07:02 AM
Ann

Don't buy the boys anything from any of the US soccer teams. But they likely would appreciate something from a well-known US team in other sports, such as the Yankees, Chicago Bulls, LA Lakers, Oakland Raiders. T-shirts and hats always go down well.

Search this Thread