Honeymoon in Europe ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a surprise honeymoon in Europe for December. So far all I have done is book flights, I have booked a flight into London in early December and then a flight home leaving from Paris 11 nights later. We have both only travelled within Asia so Europe will be totally new to both of us. Her birthday is in the middle of our honeymoon so I am going to plan to arrive in Paris on her birthday. My rough plan so far is 5 nights in London (see all the sights), then get a train to Paris and have dinner at the Eiffel Tower and then see Moulin Rouge on the night of her birthday. Then we would have nights in Paris, I would love to put another city in there but having never been to any of the places I have no idea whether to cut London short and say do 3 nights and then 2 somewhere else or stick to 5 in london and go from Paris to either Italy, Switzerland or Netherlands for a couple of days before returning to Paris to fly home. My only constraints are that I arrive in London and need to be in Paris on Day 6 and then need to leave from Paris on Day 12. Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Not the Moulin Rouge. Splurge and have dinner at La Tour d'Argent.

Do an open jaw: Land in London, fly out of Paris. In between, consider Venice, although you might have to get rubber boots in case of high tides.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, but why not Moulin Rouge??
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM

Just a preference.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM

Have a great time. I am with Michael, may I recommend Le Violon d’Ingres for dinner or any Christian Constant's restaurant instead of Moulin Rouge.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Ok thanks for the advice, I've checked out a few more reviews and most people seem to say that Moulin Rouge is overpriced and a bit tacky so maybe i'll give that a miss. Do you think that 5 nights in London and 6 nights in Paris is too long? Should I include a 3rd place?
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:42 PM
jgg

Personally I think 5 nights London and 6 nights Paris would be ideal! With 6 nights in Paris you could consider a daytrip out of the city, but would need to think about what to choose due to the time of year. There is so much to see and do in both cities, I think you could really enjoy yourself in both of those.
We did a week in London and a week in Paris and thought it was ideal. We were with our kids, but here is a link to my trip report along with pictures to give you an idea of everything there is to see and do:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego.../london-paris/
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:25 PM

Hi Steven,

In February my fiancee and I visited Paris and London. We spent 7 nights in Paris, 1 in Versaille and 2 in London (and a few others in other areas of UK to visit family).

For a honeymoon I would recommend more time in Paris and less in London. I think Paris is very romantic and London, although fascinating and I wish we had more time there, more interesting with lots of sights.

If you can get a good deal, I highly recommend the Trianon Palace Versaille, for a night or two as a trip out of Paris. It is very plush and I think would be perfect for a honeymoon. You could also do a day trip to the Champagne region, to either Reims or Epernay, which we really enjoyed.

I recommend L'Astrance, a 3 Michelin star restaurant, as we had the best meal of our lives there! Go for lunch as it is much cheaper, but still expensive, around 60 euro a head I think for an 8+ course degustation menu (we didn't have breakfast or dinner and were full all day).

Also just a heads up, when we climbed the Eiffel Tower we could only go to level 2 due to snow/ice at the top, this was in February so I imagine in December the same may occur.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:38 PM

Definitely stick to London and Paris - adding another city will just make you rush around - not what you want to do on a honeymoon haha!!! I think you have the perfect plan and allocation! You fly into London so take the time to see it, don't just rush to Paris. 6 nights there will be perfect!!!

Enjoy and congrats!!!
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:42 PM

In London you could plan a romantic dinner here http://www.closmaggiore.com/mobile.aspx

It's wonderfully romantic - you need to book far in advance. If you book using www.toptable.co.uk you can sometimes get deals like 50% off food. We went for valentines day this year and it was excellent!!