Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

?!?!What?!?! Am I to believe every room in Amsterdam is already booked for Sept.? ?!

Search

?!?!What?!?! Am I to believe every room in Amsterdam is already booked for Sept.? ?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:22 PM
T.Pau.

Hi, could someone please offer some advice. Lately, I've noticed here on the Fodors site there are a few people who have had alot of trouble getting a room in Amsterdam. It seems that two months time would be enough but apparently not. I searched for a very long time for a room in Munich for the first part of my trip this fall. I never dreamt that Amsterdam would be so rough. I actually haven't even tried to book a room yet. I am going to be arriving in Amsterdam the 26th of September. I will be there for 8 days. Would anyone advise booking with a runner when I get there? Should I start trying to get a room now? I assumed it wouldn't be too hard around then as the summer season would be winding down. Again I will be there the 26th of Sept. to the 3rd of Oct. , eight days. Is there any hope for me? Thank you all for taking the time to read my post for help.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:30 PM
Ursula

Try to find a room NOW. Amsterdam is a very popular city for conventions and fairs. Not only tourists visit, also large conventions will be scheduled in September like everywhere in important European cities. <BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:21 AM
Chris

We were there in April -- while at the tourist office getting maps, I overheard several people coming back in to tell the agents that the hotels they had referred them to were full. Therefore, I don't know that you can rely on the tourist office to be able to help you find a hotel. <BR> <BR>I agree with Ursula -- book now.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:32 AM
Sjoerd

The tourist office (VVV) is very reliable when it comes to finding you a room. Some very cheap hotels/hostels don't take advance bookings (even from the VVV), so all the tourist office can do when you want very cheap accommodation is tell you how to get there. For "normal" hotel rooms, they will call the hotel and make sure they hold the room for you. Amsterdam fills up quickly, but the VVV will always be able to find you something. However, you may have to stay somewhere further away/more expensive/less quality. The only low season (for tourism) in Amsterdam is 2nd week of January - end of February.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Mary Ann

In 1997 we were planning a trip in March for August. When checking directly with Hotels, everything was booked. A package I got from the Tourist Board included a list of room booking agents. I ended up getting a room at the Park Hotel with Breakfast cheaper than the hotel had quoted directly (if they had availability). It seemed that they consign rooms to these agents. Only if they are unsold a few days before the date are they allocated back to the hotel. Therefore, either try to get the list of agents or try just a couple days before. <BR>We had to prepay the agent and take the confirmation, but everything worked out great and the room for 3 was huge, the staff wonderful. Good luck.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Overworried

I want 20 postcards for 10 FF when I go to Montmartre this fall. Should I make a reservation now? and if so, with which vendor? <BR>