Reload this Page >

police cameras in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:19 PM
Harrison Bolter

This is just curiosity on my part... <BR> <BR>My wife and I are traveling to the UK in September, and I have read passing reference to "police cameras" (CCTV) in London, apparently to monitor public areas and deter crime. Is this true, and if so, has it made areas any safer? (I would imagine that it would be at least something of a deterrent...) Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:22 PM
janis

You will find CCTVs in just about every city in the UK - noy just London. Plus there are speed and traffic cameras on most motorways and busy roads. (it is a rude shock to get a ticket in the mail six weeks after you return home - and the rental car agencies WILL forward the ticket to you) <BR> <BR>Some folks are paranoid about all the cameras - but being a woman who often travels alone to the UK - I REALLY appreciate them. I feel much safer walking around London at night than in my own home town.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:52 PM
Eli

The only drawback about CCTV that I can see: ever since they had been installed one cannot just put on a casual worn out t-shirt and go downstairs for a paper or cigaettes. Always have to dress up... talk about police brutality.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:49 AM
sylvia

You see them in most cities and shopping centres. They probably do deter, but they can certainly help in detection, e.g. the murderers of James Bulger would not have been caught without it.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:07 AM
frank

There is some deterrence, not much.Also increases feeling of public safety.Nobody seems to object to the "big brother"aspect.