What about Cardiff?

Old May 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about Cardiff?

My wife and I will be in Cardiff for one day with a rental car. What should we do and see?

What should we eat?
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:32 PM

Ok, I'll play. I stayed at the Cardiff Hilton, from which, with the proper room or breakfast in the executive lounge, you will be able to see over the Cardiff Castle (Castell Caerdydd) wall and view the Norman keep.

Immediately south of the hotel is a pedestrian area with shops, a mall and tourist information center where I purchased my Welsh sovenirs.

I like to tour/photograph old churches and Saint John's is in this area, too.

For this excursion, I left the hire in the hotel's car park and walked to Mermaid Quay, a journey made just a bit too long by the cloud burst that caught me without jacket or umbrella. Rain in Wales; who would have thunk it?

Anyhoo, down on the water front you will find more shops and places to eat. There is a stunning arts center there, the Wales Millennium Centre (Canolfan Mileniwm Cymru), with a huge stainless obelisk out front. The Cardiff Bay Visitor Center is nearby.

Two other noteworthy bayfront buildings were the Pierhead and the Norwegian Church.

For the Llandaff Cathedral, the car might come in handy.

I enjoyed my brief stay in Cardiff and would look forward to returning someday. Hope this helps.
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:07 PM

See the castle. If you find a good place to eat let us know.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:38 AM

Cardiff Castle was transformed into a Gothic fantasy in the 19th century by William Burges for the Marquess of Bute (5th). I thought it was fantastic- don't know whether that would appeal.
if you're a sports fan you might like a tour of the Millennium Stadium
http://www.millenniumstadium.com/tours/
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:05 AM

Having just spent the most recent of probably a couple of dozen weekends in Cardiff... (DH is from south Wales

The tour of Cardiff Castle is good.

You could maybe also visit Castell Coch on your way in or out.

Taking a tour of the Wales Millennium Centre is really interesting, not just for arts buffs - the structure & decor incorporates various references to Welsh history & landscape and I think it's beautiful and quite moving in some ways.

Taking a tour of the Sennedd (Welsh Assembly) building is quite interesting but probably not worth it if you are only there for a day.

I have also heard the Millennium Stadium tour is very good, if you are into sport.

I like the Victorian arcades which run off the High Street and St Mary's Street. One of them houses the central market which is quite good. Another one, Castle Arcade, houses the Celtic Cauldron which is a nice place for a cheap lunch, with various traditional Welsh specialities.

Eating...

We always like to go for a dim sum lunch in Canton : I couldn't tell you the name of the restaurant as we always get taken there by friends & forget to check, but maybe someone else will know ? It is really good and has lots of choices I've never seen elsewhere (although I probably won't bother with the tripe again .

If we'd been able to fit it in and my FIL hadn't been ill on our last evening, I was wanting to try the Mimosa restaurant at Mermaid Quay - it looks quite interesting, has won awards and makes a feature of using Welsh produce.

Otherwise Mermaid Quay has all the usual chains you get anywhere - Harry Ramsden's (fish & chips), Pizza Express, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, etc - which are useful for a quick bite if you are down there anyway (e.g. pre theatre) but not worth going down specially (all available in the city centre too along with lots of others - Carluccio's, Wagamama's, a few one-offs - concentrated around The Hayes/Mill Lane area). Ah - the Bosphorus Turkish restaurant, built out over the water on its own pier - is a one-off and quite nice. Things to do in the bay other than eating - there are boat trips and a wee 'train' which takes you out across the barrage which is quite fun.

If you are driving from/to the the right direction, you could stop for a top notch meal at The Walnut Tree near Abergavenny (now run by Shaun Hill, formerly of The Merchant House in Ludlow). We had lunch there last Friday, on our way to Cardiff, and it was fnatastic.

Do we assume you'll just be driving in for the day and not staying overnight ? If I'm wrong, I could comment on the ?8/9 hotels we've so far stayed in
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM

Still at it I see.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:00 PM

<i>caroline_edinburgh on Jun 1, 11 at 9:05am
We always like to go for a dim sum lunch in Canton</i>

What is dim sum?
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, thanks, only there for a day, and then to Cotswolds and Bath.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:27 AM

spaarne, dim sum are like Chinese tapas - you usually get lots of small portions to share. The most common dim sum are various types of dumplings but good places do lots of others. They are usually only available up to late afternoon, eaten as a meal in themselves although I've seen large parties have a selection of dim sum be followed by a few bigger dishes. We go at lunchtime and have probably c.15 dim sum between 4 of us. I have also heard Australians refer to it as 'Chinese breakfast'.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 03:42 AM

Cardiff is within easy travelling distance by car of the following. Your choice will depend on your interests.

St Fagan's National Museum www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans/

Big Pit www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/bigpit/

Caerleon Roman Fort www.caerleon.net/

Castel Coch www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/default.asp?id=244

You are also close to such gems as Tintern Abbey, Chepstow Castle, Raglan Castle and Goodrich Castle as well as the Brecon Beacons.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:16 AM

You asked this question 2 days ago - there was no need to start yet another thread asking the same question...

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ut-cardiff.cfm

If you hoped for more responses you could just have topped the thread, you don't have to keep repeating yourself.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

julia t. Your assumption is wrong. I put the posted the thread in the wrong area. I wanted it in UK so I reposted it. Thanks for the slam though. It's nice when people can build themselves up by belittling others. Wow.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:57 PM
ira

Hey Titt,

There is only one Europe Forum.

The tags are for people doing a search.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
tttman: "<i>Thanks for the slam though. It's nice when people can build themselves up by belittling others. Wow.</i>"

If you'd notice, julia_t went waaay above and beyond and gave you the MOST useful advice on your thread about your rental car/train/driving through the Cotswolds problems.

Maybe it just that you've posted so many threads you can't keep track of the players . . . Biting the hand that feeds and all that . . .
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

I am thankful and not biting anyone. I have given advice and was happy to do so and would never expect anything in return. This is everyone's forum, especially those who are willing to contribute by posting or answering. If it wasn't for posts, there wouldn't be a forum. You can pat yourself on the back all you want. I enjoy the initial question as much as the answers and thank those who are secure enough to let others know they don't know everything.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM

tttman,
Your condescending attitude is so wonderful. Are you like this with your family and any friends also? You are a newbie here. Just a bit of civility is in order.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Yes, my condescending attitude. Whatever. I've had enough. Don't reply to any of my posts. I know Oprah is retiring, find another hobby. As for me being a newbie, yes, I always will as I have a life beyond my computer and bedroom walls.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM

Most of us here do have a life beyond the computer, but we try to give as much help/advise as possible. We seldom get thanks and are use to that but julia_t went out of her way to provide you with options, even making personal phone calls. At best she got a rather less than enthusiastic response. If anyone was to do the same for me, I'd be sending flowers, whisky,wine or certainly accolades their way.I think some of us have taken a bit of offense at your off-handed way of dealing with questions/remarks/suggestions.

Honestly, julia's comment regarding your post was legitimate and certainly not offensive; it did not deserve your "slam".

Most of us here try to answer questions as best we can in order to help a poster. As I said, we seldom get thanked,
but we do it because we love to travel and we want others to have the best experience possible.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 09:00 PM

Crickey, I did it again...advice!!!! " give as much help/advice as possible" I know better. Except when it's late and I've had a couple of glasses of wine!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:16 PM

ira (i did notice!), janis, spaarne, historytraveler - thank you.

tttman - yes, wow. Have a good trip.