Search

What a trip!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a trip!

Ok, we got back on January 16th but I have been trying to catch up with everything since then so I am just now getting a chance to talk about it. We had such a tremendous time! I couldn;t have imagine how wonderful Ireland is and we can't wait to go back! I will give you just a bit of our Itinerary and if anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free!
Day 1- Arrived in Shannon at 6am. Could not sleep on the flight so I was exhausted when we arrived. Rented a car from Dan Dooley (No problems at all, they were great!). We rented an automatic to reduce stress on the trip and I recomend doing this as well. We also got full insurance to do the same. We were accident free so we didn't need it but it was great for pieve of mind. Ok, so picked up car and headed out. It was cold and he roads were icy (great for a first time driver on the left side). Still dark so we headed towards Bunratty and stopped at a hotel their for breakfast. After eating their small buffet and were charged 26 euro! we learned to ask first before eating. Ok, drove from Shannon to Kenmare through Killarney National Park that morning. Man I was dead tired! I recomend staying closer the first night to rest...it was scary. Luckily the scenery was so breath taking it kept me going. Arrived in Kenmare around 11am and the room was ready for us at Lansdowne Arms. (lovely hotel). Took a coupel hours nap and walked the town, stopping in pubs, meeting old drunken Irishmen like Felix!
Day 2- Drove around the Ring of Beara. It was misty but still beautiful. Drove the Healy Pass, met some nice farmers who let us watch the sheep dogs heard the sheep. Took some great pictures. Drove all the way around the peninsula and got back in time for some Smithwicks and some ok food. I loved the Ring of Beara, Ireland has such a diverse landsacape, I had never seen anything like what we saw that day.
Day 3- Overslept (oh no!) Not a lot of day light in january so we needed to go go go! Had our quick breakfast...loved the Irish Breakfast (except the black & white pudding) I tried it, but won't again. Anyway, headed out of Kenmare back through Killarney National Park. It was our first clear sunny ay so we were glad we did, wow what a beautiful place! Torc Falls was awesome! We were heading up to Dingle, so we decided to go above Dingle and come back dwn through Connor Pass since it was such a nice day. Again, not disappointed. Stopped, did some rock climing scraped by a few cars and arrived into Dingle around 12:30. Checked into Dingle Bay Hotel (another lovely hotel) and then headed out around Slea Head. Absolutly stunning. Had some camera problems but found a small shop along the way that was able to help us with some new film. Saw our first Castle ruin, walked around it with a bunch of sheep and a cute dog that hearded them out of our way the whole time. Got back into town around 4 and went and had a tasty dinner in Murphy's Pub. (great seafood chowder). That night The Mrs. watched a movie and I went out to a few pubs and had too many beers...you don't notice when you buy people beer and they buy back how many you have had. I paid for it the next morning.
Day 4- Left Dingle early and headed towards Ennis. We took the ferry across and glad we did, cut a lot of time off the drive. This was the yuckiest day weather wise, constant rain. We were somewhat close so we hit the Cliffs of Moher anyway...even in bad weather it was great! The pictures won't tiurn out as well, but wow, what an experience! After the cliffs we headed back down into Ennis. Stayed at Grey Gables B&B...very nice, although a little cramped in the shower. We walked around town, Ennis is very charming with it's narrow streets and the hustle & bustle of the people. Found a great Italian restaraunt there and had a delicious meal. So good we went back 2 days later.
Day 5- Woke up bright and early and headed south into Tipperary. Went to see Cahir Castle. It was so cool! Got to walk around the castle, lots of great pics. Then headed to Rock of Cashel. Maybe the most impressive thing I saw in Ireland. SO beautiful and full of history. Got back into Ennis around 4 and went into town again. Caught a movie, had some dinner, went to Cruise's Pub and listened to some great live music!
Day 6- Woke up even earlier and headed up to Connemara. Great weather! Took great pics along the way, Quiet Man bridge, Kylemore Abbey (wow). Long drive from Ennis (like 2-3 hours, but worth it. Got back into town around 3 or 4. Went back to the Italian restaurant and then back to Cruises for music. Ennis is such a lovely town, I think a lot of people here rag on it, but we loved it.
Day 7 - Sadly we were leaving Ireland. We woke up got to the airport returned the car (no problems) and headed to the UK to London. Just there for 1 night. Very pretty and historical but not like Ireland!
All in all, the best time I ever had. A lot of driving, but I enjoyed the narrow winding roads and driving on the opposite side! So much to see! Whatever you think you need film wise double it at least! We had to buy so much film over there! Food was average but still not bad. People were so friendly, they did not disappoint! I already miss the sheep and all the dogs. They don't own leashes over there apparently, they just all roam free, even inside the pub at Murphy's! It was great! If I can help anyone at all with advice please don't hesitate to ask, or if any one wants me to elaborate...thanks for all your suggestions when I was planning my trip!
Bye for now!
-Mike
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention...
One of the best things about the trip was that we were all alone! I know January has such short days, but we were literally the only people there while sight seeing. No fighting for position in pictures or stuck in long lines. It was peaceful and beautiful and stress free. The people there were so glad to see us, just wonderful. When I go back I plan to make it the winter months again! Highly recomend it! Save a lot of cash, and see Ireland in such a peaceful, tourist free state!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Thanks for sharing, Epcotmikey!

We're going in March so I was very interested to read your report. I know March won't be quite as tourist-free as January! But the last time we went was in May and, through much of our trip, we really didn't see a lot of tourists. However, that was in 1982 and I know tourism is up since then. Still hoping March won't be too bad though.

We're heading the other direction from you, to Galway and Westport. But we're planning to spend our last night in Ennis. So I was very glad to see your favorable recommendation. And very encouraged that you didn't have any trouble finding traditional music, even in January. Were you there during the week? We'll be there on a Thursday night.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we were in Ennis in the middle of the week. Head to Cruise's Pub. They have music there every night around 9:30. Good stuff too.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Thanks! I'll make a note of that!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Epcotmikey, Thanks so much for reporting back. I always wonder how the trips go. What a long drive the first morning, you did great. I thought The Lansdowne Arms would be nice. I stayed in a B&B owned by the same family. The Lodge. To think you saw Killarney in sunshine. I stayed for 5 nights once and didn't see it. I went from Kenmare for a day trip last time and again didn't see the sun. We did have a wonderful sunny day on Beara. Glad you fell in love with my favorite larger town, Ennis. I've spent a lot of time there. Again thanks for the great report. Joan
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Not a problem, I have lots more to share if anyone has any questions...
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the trip report.

We'll be at Kylemore Abbey at the end of March. How much of it were you able to see? Did you go into the gardens or buildings or just walk around the outside? I'd enjoy hearing more details about your experience there.

We are really looking forward to our first trip to Ireland and it's fun to hear your enthusiasm.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cristi,
We actually just walked around Kylemore Abbey, didn;t go in. It was so beautiful though, you will love it! It's is pretty secluded...don't know if that is whta you are looking for. Where else are you going on your trip? How long will you be there?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:10 AM

Oh, I feel for you on that long drive the first day! We made that mistake last time, driving from Dublin to Kilkenny the first day. Not again! This time (June) we're flying into Shannon and basing in Ennis for four days. Glad you liked the town -- will be using it as a base for the Burren, Dingle, etc., before heading down to Killarney for four days, then 3 in Kilkenny and 4 in Dublin, flying out of there.

I'm glad you were impressed by Cashel -- incredible spot, no? Here's a great shot I took when I was there last:

http://www.greendragonartist.com/Sal...ckofCashel.htm

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 08:38 AM

We don't mind secluded. We're traveling with our 15 month old son, and will be able to pop him in a backpack carrier and walk around.

I'm glad to hear Dan Dooley worked out for you. Rental car is the final planning item I'm working on right now.

I'll list our itinerary with the overnight location in ( ).

Plan C: (Overnight location)
Thursday: Powerscourt and Glendalough (Glend.)

Friday: Glendalough hikes, day trip nearby: Wicklow? Avoca? Coastal town? (Glend.)

Sat. Kilkenny and Rock of Cashel (Cashel)

Sun. More Cashel? Cahir Castle and Swiss Cottage (near Bunratty) How long does it take to get a good look at Cahir Castle?

Mon. Horseback riding in morning for hour or two; Bunratty Folk Park in afternoon; early evening drive to Cliffs of Moher for sunset (Doolin)

Tuesday: Burren till lunch time; Ailwee Cave? ; drive to Oughterard (Oughterard)

Wed. Husband Fishes on Lake Corrib; Cristi and son rest; after lunch explore Oughterard then drive to Clifden (Clifden)

Thursday: Kylemore Abbey and walking (Clifden)

Friday: Explore Connemara (Clifden)

Saturday: Killary Cruise, Cong (Athlone)

Sunday: Check in at Malahide B&B; park at DART and ride into and out of Dublin city center

Monday: Fly out in am