Reload this Page >

What 3 cities should we visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Leigh

Starting to plan a trip for next year, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We're planning to spend a month in Europe next July. Will spend 10-14 days in Ireland and the U.K. visiting family and friends and attending a wedding. <BR> <BR>Here's my question: for the remainder of the month, we'd like to spend time in 3-4 cities in Europe. We're thinking of Rome, Vienna and Barcelona, but I welcome any and all suggestions. We've spent a great deal of time in Ireland and the U.K., but haven't ventured into the rest of Europe yet. Both in our early 30s.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Rex

July 2001? or 2002? <BR> <BR>The points you suggest are pretty widespread - - but I understand the desire for three different cultures. <BR> <BR>I would suggest Salzburg, then Venice, then "some other Italy" - - Rome with or without a little Tuscany and/or the Lake como region (any one or two of these three, depending on how much you like moving around versus day tripping and/or "seeing" a place a little more extensively). <BR> <BR>One point of such a plan is that you can use the incredibly cheap flights from London (Stansted) into Salzburg (a new route) on www.ryanair.com - - various cheap flights to get you back to London (or Brussels or other points) from several cities in Italy as well - - or you might do just as well to book your return flight home directly from Italy. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Linda

You could do Rome and Vienna by train but a plane to Barcelona would be better than wasting valuable time. I would recommend Prague as a beautiful city, closer to Vienna and the view from the Charles Bridge at night is most romantic. Other options might be Budapest, Berlin, Florence, Venice. All are different but have lots to see and do and nice daytrips.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:26 AM
John

In July, and especially after Britain and Ireland, you might find Rome or Barcelona a little too warm, and possibly too humid, for your tastes. If it was us, I'd suggest more northern or mountainous destinations, saving southern Europe for a future spring or autumn trip. Stocklhom? Copenhagen? Norwegian Fjords? Amsterdam? Or, Brittany, Alsace, or the Savoy areas of France (including ducking into Switzerland). Just a thought.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Leigh

Thanks for the suggestions. So are Rome and Barcelona even more humid than it is here in the swamp I call home? (Washington, D.C.). <BR> <BR>