A good road map book of France?

Mar 11th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Jeanne Mills

A good road map book of France?

Hello,

I am looking for the best road map BOOK of France. I am spoiled by my Collins Britain and Ireland map books (five miles to the inch) and am having difficulty finding anything that's that detailed for France.

I tried to search this site, but nothing happens. Frustrating.

What do you all suggest?

I appreciate your help. My marriage depends on my providing clear navigation!

Thanks,

Jeanne

Mar 11th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Rex

Jeanne (and Scott):

You probably don't remember correspondence between us (over a year ago - - we "met" over bootsnall.com)

Your marriage is in trouble over a road map book!? Do you need it before you get there? Surely you know that the best road atlases are the ones for sale everywhere (in gas stations) wherever you are. Failing that, I trust all my navigation to the "EuroAtlas" (AmericanMap) series - - part of the Langenscheidt Publishing group. They sell them at Borders. They're 1:300.000 - - which is indeed five miles to the inch (1 to 5280*12*5 = 316800, to be exact).

Let me know if you need ISBN numbers or anything!

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:16 PM
StCirq

Jeanne:
The minute youget to France, go to your nearest bookstore and purchase the Atlas Routier de France. This is a Michelin publication for truck drivers in France - you can't do any better than it as far as detailed maps of France go. You should be able to find it easily, and it costs only about 100 FF, less on sale if you buy lást year's.

I hope this qualifies as a BOOK! It's big and thick and has lots of pages - will that DO?

Mar 11th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Jeanne Mills

Thank you, Rex and StCirq. Your suggestions are excellent and I will get those maps.

I just looked at my Collins Britain book and it's 2.5 miles to the inch, not 5. It's been our mainstay for seven or eight trips, maybe more. I strongly recommend it for anyone going to the UK.

I just found that thereis a Collins France book, but I don't know the miles (km) to the inch so I will follow the advice you both gave me.

Rex, of course I remember you and, yes, I was exaggerating when I said that my marriage depends upon having a good map book (well, almost).

Happy travels.

Jeanne

Mar 26th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Mary

Rex, thanks for your mention of EuroAtlas. I bought one yesterday, for France, because the maps looked great (a level of detail higher than that of the Michelin yellows I have) and I wanted something ahead of time, for helping me plan my trip. Later, I felt unsure of the purchase, and so checked out info here. Now I feel much relieved. So again, thanks.

Search this Thread