Western Ireland : Need Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first trip to Ireland with wife and two teenage boys. I plan to fly into Shannon and rent a car. Spend first day recovering from jet-lag and stay locally and explore King John's Castle in Limerick.

2nd Day: Drive to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burrens. Spend night in Galway

3rd Day: Explore Connemra and return to Galway.

4th Day: Leave Galway and head to Westport.

5th Day: Depart Westport explore Mayo County and Ceide Fields. Stop for the night in Ballina.

6th Day: Leave for Sligo to explore Carrowmore and Carrowkeel. Spend night in Sligo.

7th Day: Head to Omagh to the Ulster-American Folk. Back to Sligo for the night.

8th Day: Travel to back Shannon. Exploring ruins Athenry. Spend night in Shannon area.

9th Day: Depart to USA.

Any advice on this itinerary would be appreciated.

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Rather than do all the 'backtracking', I would either use day 3 to visit the Arans, or drop it completely. The drive fromGalway to Westport will cover everything you will want to see (see the Thread : Aran Islands Of The Connemeara). Take the 'extra' day and plug it in after day 6 and drive into Donnegal.

You could save Limmerick for the end of the tour and spend day one in Doolin ( right by the Cliffs of Moher), or, depending on your excitement and adrenaline level, Galway City.

See www.aaroadwatch.ie for route planning, but add a bit of time to their estimates.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM

You may want to stop by Allwee Caves on your drive to Galway --they are in that area of the Burren and Galway Bay. I am not sure if I spelled the name of the caves correctly. Happy travels!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 01:22 AM

Day #5: If you come Belmullet-Ballina take a left fork about halfway between Belmullet & Bangor Erria to get to Ceide Fields.

In Ballina I have stayed at Crocket's on the Quay: excellent restaurant and they have Trad Irish music Monday nights in the front bar. I also stayed at BrigOwen B&B. a few doors away. It's small but might fit your needs: Marjorie, a local radio personality and cook book author rents out 1-double, 1-room with two twin beds, and a single. Good parking and private entrance.

Both places are right on the river Moy.

It's too bad you can't fit in a visit to Knock Shrine while you're in Mayo.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:08 AM

The Cliffs of Moher are striking to behold. I think they are a good objective.

Somehow, can you weave into your plans driving the Ring of Kerry and/or the Dingle Peninsula? Those were my favorite views in on the west coast of Ireland.

As a caution, bear in mind that the roads are narrow, and those big tour buses can make it a challenge.

When I went with a big bus tour, some car driver managed to wedge his vehicle between the rocks and the bus. Every thing he did to extricate himself made the situation worse. Finally, several strong guys on the bus got off and picked up the car and moved it over so the bus could get by.

Good thing we had some Australian and New Zealand sheep ranchers along! Those guys had some lifting power!

With my bad hip, I was totally useless in the lifting game.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:45 PM

I would suggest staying in Connemara rather than returning to Galway and back tracking to Westport. We stayed in Clonbur, very close to Cong in Mayo, at a B&B Farm house. It is Ballykine House, run by Ann and Barry Lambe, very nice people and the house is full of beautiful antiques. It was the prettiest of our B&B's. They have walking trails through their land, and a very good pub/restaurant nearby. When we return we plan to spend a few days there. After leaving Clonbur, stop at Cong, then up to Westport, this would be a much easier drive. Just a suggestion as I plan to do this when I return.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. The reason for spending two nights in Galway and Sligo is to use them as hubs. Go out and explore and return to the same B&B at night. I understand this is "backtracking" but.....

Thanks for the tip on getting to Ceide Fields and www.aaroadwatch.ie for route planning. I'll definitely need them.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM

Another option to staying in Galway is Cregg Castle, just north of town. It's certainly more pricey than a B&B, but it's a neat place to stay and the owners play concerts by the fire in the great room at night. www.creggcastle.com

Bill
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:39 PM

With 2 teenage boys along, I'd plan on balancing my sightseeing activities with the action/music/Guiness found in the pubs of the small towns. I have 3 young adult sons who love to travel in Europe. Each holds much interest in history, but they also have a need to socialize and enjoy the culture on their level, i.e. pubs and beer! We learned that it was important to stay the night within walking distance to the city...you don't want to drive after a couple of pints!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:32 AM

My only advice is make sure your visit to the Ulster American Folk Park is not on a bank holiday. Luckily I had been there before on a regular day and liked the park very much. But bank holidays are a nightmare--it gets so crowded you can barely move.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:13 AM

Typo: It's between Belmullet and Bangor Erris (not Erria, no such place).
BTW
King John's Castle & the Treaty Stone (in Limerick City) aren't going to take much time. You might also schedule a visit to the Hunt Museum (or do the Angela's Ashes walk from the ITB Office at Arthur's Quay).

Day #2: Expand your horizons! Lahinch, the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin and the Burren are all do-able in that same day. You may even want to stop at the Museum in Corofin, or at John Daly's Matchmakers Pub in Lisdoonvarna.

Day #3 & #4: I hate to backtrack! I would spend about a half day in Galway and head north to Connemara while there is still daylight. But that's just me and the way I travel. It might give you an opportunity to visit Cong ('The Quiet Man' village) & Croagh Patrick.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM

This was our itinerary in June 20043

Bear in mind that we use public transportation exclusively so there may be a slight hike to places but not really more than fifteen minutes from a bus stop or train station.

Arrived Shannon airport on Sunday and caught bus to Limerick. A friend we met at the bus shed told us where to get off and instructed the driver to make sure he stopped there. He did and we walked up the short cul-de-sac to Glen Eagles (not that Glen Eagles, but very nice.) <[email protected]> About 30 Euros pps ensuite. Helen and Patrick Daly

In Dingle on Monday we stayed at Dingle Heights. <www.dingleheights.com, or [email protected]> Ask for a front room overlooking the harbor. Bridie Fitzgerald was our hostess. Very nice view and about 30 Euros pps ensuite. We had our first, of many, bowl, of Irish stew at O'Grady's across from the tourist board along the waterfront. We lucked out and were able to attend a folk concert of harp, guitars, penny whistle at St. James Church. But we heard lots of music around town as we went back to our bnb after the concert. One place is a hardware store by day and a pub by night! We got cheated out of our tour to Slea Head by the well know local tour operator who renigged on our email reservation. So we will have to go back! And use someone else.

Stayed in Killarney at Cloghroe <[email protected]> about 30 Euros pps ensuite, on Tuesday and did the Gap of Dunloe (three lakes by boat and through the Gap by jaunting car (otherwise a 7 mile walk) on Wednesday. Glad we didn't do the Ring of Kerry. Our hostess Margaret arranged the tour for us. Ate at Murphy's, known for it's pub grub.

Had to spend Wednesday night in Tralee since it is a long haul by bus from Killarney to Doolin. Stayed at The Willows, about five minutes from the bus station. <wwwthewillowsbnb.com or [email protected]> About 30 Euros pps ensuite. On Mary's recommendation we went to the Grand Hotel and ate in the pub section. Excellent food. Next day we walked out (rode the bus back) to the Blennerville Windmill before having to catch our bus to Doolin.

On Thursday night in Doolin we stayed at Nellie Dees. <www.nellie-dees.com or [email protected]> The bus driver will drop you at the door if you ask and it is across the road from one of the hostels. Only about five years old, all wood floors, very nice. Jimmy and Loraine Spencer. About 30 Euros pps ensuite. It was a bit of a hike to downtown Doolin but there were two pubs (out of 3) very nearby where we spent the evening eating delicious Irish stew and listening to trad music at McDermott's.

The next morning we hiked into town ("just a wee walk and a right at the bridge&quot. We passed several bnbs on the way that looked nice. We caught the ferry to Inishoor. Had to ride a carrick out to the ferry because the tide was out. That was a neat experience, although my wife was not really keen on it but nobody fell overboard.

Arrived on Inishoor (Inishere) on Friday and headed to our bnb, Tigh Searraigh. About 25 Euros pps ensuite. <[email protected]> Basic but clean and warm. Went for a tour around the island. It is only 2 km 2km so we knew we couldn't get too lost but the stone fences did start looking just like the last one. My wife got her Aran sweater made (supposedly) on the island. We went to pub (Fitzgerald's I think. There are only about 3 places to eat on the island) for supper and music. A bit of wait for the music but the food was great and the strawberry rhubarb pie was so good we ordered a second round. Bailey’s ice cream on it was heavenly. I have never tasted such a delicious ice cream! Called it a night about 10 PM and was up the next day to catch the 9 AM ferry back to Doolin and 12 noon bus to Ennis for our last night before catching our flight out of Shannon.

Saturday night we stayed at Stonehaven in Ennis <www.stonehaven-clare.com or [email protected]> about 15 minute walk from bus station but Marie would have collected us if we had called. Very nice family, especially Joseph the 7 year old. About 30 Euros pps ensuite. Ennis is a market town and we were there Saturday, market day. Neat!

Back to the train/bus station for our bus to Shannon airport and on to Scotland..

You can certainly see more if you rent a car but we didn't want the stress. Also, we noticed that more pubs are catching on to the attraction of pub grub by tourists and are starting to provide table service instead of us ordering at the bar. The price sometimes increases accordingly.

This may be more than you really wanted to know but we had a blast and are talking about doing the same tour again. We did Dublin in 2003 and I probably would not do Dublin again but there is something about the Southwest of Ireland that is magical. I will send you some Irish links if you will send me your email address. We are in Virginia Beach, VA [email protected]

I know you are going North but don't over extend yourself, especially if you are not used to driving on the left had side of sometimes marginal narrow roads. Nothing will spoil a vacation like stress.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:36 AM

When you're in the Burren..your boys will sure to love visiting the Allwee (sp?) Caves. Also Bunratty Castle and folk park and Craggaunowen...both near Shannon might be something you'd like to fit in. I took my teenage son to Ireland last April (school vacation) He had been studying old world history in school and he also has Viking roots (or so he wants to believe) so our primary mission was see as many old Viking sites as possible...King John's Castle is one. We also visited as many castles as possible, Dublin (there is a Replica Viking ship in the Liffey and a Viking museum), Galway, the Connemara, Isle of Achille where there is the Deserted Village, the Japanese Gardens in Kildare (wanted to visit the round tower there but it was closed) and the Burren and Cliffs of Moher. One bit of advise..if you see something on the internet that looks like its worth visiting...check it out beforehand to make sure it is still a functioning thing to see or visit because sometimes some websites don't get updated as we found out when we wanted to see something in Dublin. Also helps to find out if they are open during the season you plan to visit and when.
What ever you do...taking your boys will be one of the best things you could ever do for them! I will never regret our 6 night worldwind trip and it will be something the boys (yours and mine)will never forget. Mine wants to go back when he's 18 and can drink his first "real" Guinness! You'll have a great time!