Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We're staying in Ballyvaughan 3 nights. How far a drive would it be to visit Westport, and would it be worth it?

Search

We're staying in Ballyvaughan 3 nights. How far a drive would it be to visit Westport, and would it be worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read great things about Westport, and thought it would be fun to visit during our stay in Ballyvaughan. Anybody happen to know how far a drive it would be?
Thank you
Carrie
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 05:14 AM

This website estimates a little over 2 hours. I would give it 2.5 to 2.75 hours each way. Things tend to move slower in Ireland.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

Why are you spending 3 nights in Ballyvaughan -- A base to see the areas on the Loophead Peninsula & Galway?
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Budman for the information. Looks like Westport may have to wait until another trip. We plan to do 'Cliffs of Moher', The Burren and Aran Islands while in Ballyvaughan. Looks like we also be able to explore Galway? Would you recommend that? I really don't like large cities, but I see many people enjoy visiting it.
Here is the itinerary an Ireland agent did for me:
3 nights Balyvaughan
2 nights Cashel
3 nights Kenmare
1 night Killarney
3 nights Dingle
1 night Bunratty

We decided not to stay near the airport on our first night and made Ballyvaughan 3 nights instead of 2. We wanted a fairly relaxed pace. I don't know... I posted before about the itinerary and people commented that there is backtracking involved. What do you think of this itinerary? I suppose I could try to change it, but all accommodations have been arranged.
Thank you
Carrie
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM

Hi Carrie,
I wouldn't worry about backtracking. Whether you go to Ballyvaughan before or after Shannon it's still to the north. It's not a big deal as it's not far from Shannon. That said, I wouldn't spend 3 nights in Ballyvaughan. There's just not much there and you could easily see the Cliffs and the Burren on your way to Ballyvaughan on the first day. They're worth seeing (although I think the cliffs on Clare Island are more beautiful) but they're quick sights.

I'd consider this instead:
1 night Ballyvaughan or Lisdoonvarna
3 nights Westport
1 night Cashel
4 nights Kenmare
3 nights Dingle
1 night Bunratty

I'd skip Galway. We found it to be crowded and just not that interesting, especially compared to the smaller cities and towns.

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:57 PM

Ballyvaughan is a very nice place to base from. You've got easy access to all the sites in County Clare.

My favorites include the Cliffs, the coast drive from the Cliffs to Ballyvaughan, Poulnabrone Dolmen, Caherconnell Fort (w/multimedia presentation), Burren Purfumery, town centre in Ennis...and if you're really adventurous Loop Head with a stop at the Bridges of Ross. A drive around Lough Derg can be very beautiful with lots of nice small stops...include Portumna Castle and Killaloe. Coole Park and Yeats Thoor Ballylee are in nearby Gort.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 05:58 AM

I agree, leave Galway and everything North for another trip in itself.

I would look at Ballyvaughan for just 2 nights. You can take the ferry out of Doolin one of the days.

http://www.doolinferry.com/aran_isla...timetable.html

I would head South, around, and back up to Shannon.

2-3 nights Ballyvaughan (Aran Islands, Burren, Cliffs, and explore Loophead Peninsula. Stop by Kilkee on the way to Dingle)

2 nights Dingle (Take the Shannon Ferry, Conor Pass, explore Dingle Peninsula)

4 nights Kenmare (Ring of Kerry, Killarney, Gap of Dunloe, Muckross, shopping, Beara Peninsula)

2 nights Kinsale (Stop by Mizen Head on the drive to Kinsale. That will give you one full day to explore Kinsale)

1 night Cashel & Cahir (You can see Cahir castle on the way to Cashel, and Cashel in the morning on your way to Bunratty).

1 night Bunratty

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:49 AM

I like Budman's itinerary. I've been to Ireland 8 times and haven't gotten up to Westport yet. I've gotten as far as Leenane. If I have another trip, I'll head for Westport and the north. You might save Galway and above for your next trip. You'll enjoy Ireland very much. Have a great trip. Joan