Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

West Ireland itinerary questions 6 nights

Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Five adults travelling to W Ireland in October. Flying into Shannon Airport. What do you think about this itineary?

2 nights near Cliffs or Galway (preference between the two? Stay in both places?)
2 nights Kenmare
1 night Dingle
1 night - where? have an 11 am flight out of Shannon Airport.

All suggestions welcome. Driving times would be helpful.
Aug 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM

What about

2 nights Dingle (I have driven there from Shannon after overnight flight)

2 nights Kenmare

2 nights Ennis--Ennis is close enough to Shannon to make a run for 11 am flight. Also close enough to Cliffs of Moher to visit easily as well as do some exploring in County Clare (the Burren, Ailwee Caves, Quin Abbey, Bunratty Folk Park, Cragganouwen Project, Knappogue Castle and much more)
Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:25 AM

Kenmare from the Airport is no big deal so 2 nights there, Dingle only ever needs 1 night in October and 2 nights Galway with a final night in Ennis/Bunratty before your departure.
Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

My sister has been to Ireland a number of times and has never made it to Galway, so I've got to include it to make her happy. I get jetlagged pretty bad so I thought I'd take a shuttle to Galway and not deal with a rental car for a day or two. Does this make sense?
Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:42 PM

Have seen this new plan on another thread,,makes perfect sense.
Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM

Since you are going in October which is a bit out of season I would stay in Galway versus one of the smaller towns near the Cliffs. It will be a lot more lively and there will be good pubs and restaurants in walking distance. A lot of the smaller towns get very quiet after the summer. I agree one night in Ennis is good before your flight...it is a real town where Shannon is basically built around the airport.
Aug 24th, 2011, 01:37 AM

Tony2phones wrote "... Dingle only ever needs 1 night in October ..."

Are ye mad or what? I'm just back from five nights there in July, and was only getting started when I had to leave. I'm thinking of going again at the end of September.
Aug 24th, 2011, 02:42 AM

Dingle changes the world: 'twas last weekend, in August, that I was there.
Aug 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM

"1 night - where? have an 11 am flight out of Shannon Airport."

Perhaps consider Bunratty. You can stay in Bunratty Castle or the Bunratty Castle Hotel across the road. Durty Nellie's is a famous pub in the area. It's only 13 Km away from the airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunratty_Castle
Aug 24th, 2011, 05:08 AM

Dingle is a small town on a small peninsular, a wonderful place in the Summer. It lives as a legend in the writings of Rick Steves but I have the knowledge of what a totally miserable place it can be in winter and once the season is over and the tourist show has packed and gone.

Perhaps Padraig you should see some of the less tourist places around and in the Island of Ireland so you have a comparison by which to measure.
Aug 29th, 2011, 07:10 AM

4 of us (husband, wife, 2 grown daughter)..came back 3 weeks ago and we found it much easier to have a home base..then make day trips for touring..It is tedious and inconvenient to be packing and unpacking...every night and morning..Since you do not have an early morning flight, I would also recommend you rent a car at the airport..spend the last night in Ennis..it is only about 20-30 minutes or so drive from Shannon airport..and there are lots of very nice B&Bs..also plenty to see in the quaint little town. (Note: take care where you park! and make sure it is not required to pick up a ticket to place in your car window..We pulled into a space in the front of a church and came back an hour or so later with a notice on the window and fee of 70 euro!.. From Ennis to Galway is about 40-50 minutes if I recall. maybe less. Galway could be your point of departure each day..(ps...after many trips to Ireland, I would say: forget Bunratty Castle and Dirty Nellies..touristy...not the real Ireland..
Aug 29th, 2011, 07:15 AM

ps..Just noted that it is only 6 days in Ireland..not enough !!!
Aug 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM

MaryDee, you say to forget Bunratty Castle and Dirty Nellies, how do you feel about the other "shows" at Brazen Head or Arlington Hotel? I know they're touristy, but thought it might be fun the first night--a taste of the food, music, and possibly histoy, lore, or dance. Open to any info on "cultural shows" in Ireland
Aug 31st, 2011, 01:24 AM

It's just a comment straight out of Rick Steves and should be treated as the view of the self opinionated. Durty Nellies used to be a good pub but has lost its way over the years. Bunratty Castle itself doesn't tick all my personal boxes but I love the Folk park and walled garden. The Banquets are mainly for tourists but is a floor show with food and yes tourists do like to be entertained.

Most Irish towns are pay parking and whilst it is unusual to get a ticket outside a church it is something that visitors should be aware of.
Aug 31st, 2011, 02:13 AM

I'm with Tony on Bunratty except that I think the castle is worth a visit. Not the banquet: that's tacky.
Aug 31st, 2011, 03:32 AM

It's admittedly touristy buy my family and apparently most everyone in attendance really enjoyed Trad on the Prom (www.tradontheprom.com) in Salthill (Galway). It's a little over the top with some self promotion but the talent was world class (singing, dancing, music). We stayed in Salthill and could easily walk to it.

We also enjoyed Killarney and the the Killarney National Park though can't comment on how that will be in October.
Aug 31st, 2011, 04:30 AM

I guess I am "tacky" but I enjoyed Bunratty's banquet. sure it is touristy, but I am a tourist when I am in that part of Ireland. Everyone seemed to be injoying themselves the times I was there.
Aug 31st, 2011, 04:45 AM

irishface wrote: "Everyone seemed to be injoying themselves the times I was there."

Times? Plural? You did it more than once? Wow.

Clearly I wasn't there the same night as you, or you would have noticed one person who was thoroughly disenchanted.
Aug 31st, 2011, 01:00 PM

With just 6 days, I'd probably look for a holiday home somewhere in the Galway area (as Galway seems to be of main interest), in a small town or village, in walking distance to a nice pub, try the oysters with a few stouts.. and STAY in one place.
Do some half-day or day trips to the Cliffs and the Burren (also lots of easy hikes there) or Clonmacnoise, or a full day exploring Connemara.. and get some peat from the petrol station on your way back home and spend some evenings at the fireplace..