Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We're staying in an apartment in Paris.Where can I send and receive faxes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our apartment is on Rue Mazarine in the 6th,near the Pont des Arts. Do cyber cafes offer fax services? Can you give me suggestions for where I can go to send and receive faxes? Some faxes will be pretty large documents, approaching 20 pages. I've always had hotels to handle this service before, and I haven't planned ahead properly for this need. I hope you folks can help me.
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Frequently "papeteries," or stationery shops, offer fax sending and receiving services. So do some large photocopy shops, and occasionally newspaper and magazine vendors. If you're going to do a lot of this, it would be best to check prices in a few places. Rates can vary quite a bit.
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Neopolitan

Maybe you'll get a better or more specific answer, but I do know you can send faxes from any regular post office in France. It's not cheap -- something like 4 euro for the first page and 1 euro for each additional page, but I'm not sure if you can receive faxes there.

I'm pretty sure that some of the large bookstores at St. Michel (near you) offer all kinds of business services, including fax receiving and sending.

And I'm not sure if this holds in France, but in London when we got involved closing a real estate deal back home, we found a large local stationery or office supply store that did the whole thing for us. When they received a fax for us they'd call me up. That may be a good possibility as well.

Old May 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Facsimile transmission ("fax&quot was patented by Scottish inventor Alexander Bain.

<b>In <u>1843</u>!</b>

Is there any particular reason you want to use a nearly 200 year old technology when you can transmit documents across the world better, more securely, and for free by scanning and e-mailing them?
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Ahhh Robes, you are such a man of the future

I seem to remember a place on Blvd St Germain that faxes but at this moment, I am blank.
So here is a list for you...there are places nearby that do fax....

http://www.world66.com/europe/france/paris/cybercafes
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM
ira

Hi M,

Go to www.pagesjaunes.fr

Enter Internet, Paris, 75006

Click Cybercafes.

Check out &quot;Cyber Cube&quot;.

Old May 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow! You folks are all so very helpful. Ira, Cyber Cube will do faxes and Scarlett, your link led me to surf my way to Access Academy which seems like a multi-service cyber cafe. I've e-mailed them to see if they have fax services.

Robespierre,you're exactly correct in your suggestions....except that I'm a real techno-idiot, and am more comfortable with faxing documents. Okay...I'll admit it....I've never scanned a document. Maybe it is time to learn.

Dave_in_Paris, your posts are always so helpful to everyone here. I'll check out nearby stationery and photocopy shops, in case they work out better for my needs.

Thank you all again,so very much, for your great help. I leave in six days and I'm finding all sorts of loose ends that I haven't attended to. I'll probably be posting a few more times this week.

Old May 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM

If your gallivants take you north across the river, you have two UPS stores (Mailboxes Etc.), one at 34 Blvd Malesherbes (75008), one at 107 Rue R&eacute;aumur (75002), both about the same distance from your digs.

Call them about pricing - 0821-233-877 and 0821-233-877

But really - it makes little sense. If you can print from a computer (unless you use a typewriter?) you can instead save the document as a .pdf and email it - hardly any more mouseclicks, and a lot less walking and expense... Have some kid show you how. (If you use a Mac, open the Print window and click on PDF at the bottom left, then - instead of printing it - save it as a pdf. Don't know how to do it on a peecee, but I trust it can be done &lt;even&gt; on &quot;that kind&quot; of machine?). &lt;g&gt;

WK
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Interesting that the FAX was invented in 1843, and the telephone in 1876 . . someone was ahead of their time!

Rich
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Neopolitan

Yea, but boy that phone was busy in 1876 sending through all those piles of faxes which had been stacking up for 33 years waiting for the phone to get invented so it would work.

Old May 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Neopolitan

And I don't know about other people but while I travel with my laptop, I do not travel with capabilities for scanning or printing.

Old May 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Wally - I was going to say &quot;compose the document in .rtf and email that,&quot; but it occurred to me that there is sometimes a need to transmit signed documents.

rich - the fax is derived from telegraph technology, which had been invented seven years earlier.

Neop - you don't have to <i>print</i> a document in order to <i>read</i> it (you aren't printing this...are you?), and when you <u>fax</u> a document, you have to have equipment that most people don't travel with, either. So we have

Receiving text documents - open email and read
Sending text documents - compose and email
Receiving image documents - open email and read
Sending image documents - scan and email

...so only ONE of FOUR cases requires ancillary machinery.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Neopolitan

The printing I was referring to includes the idea of receiving a document that needs to be signed by hand and then sent back. Most companies will not allow a &quot;digital signature&quot; (I don't know a more correct term) for legal papers. This was our problem when we were in the UK and receiving contracts which needed to be hand signed and sent back. Since we were negotiating and sending back and forth, each set of documents had to be signed on each page and sent back.

Old May 8th, 2006, 06:14 AM

If you want to scan a signature document, you have to find a shop that can do it.

If you want to fax a signature document, you have to find a shop that can do it.

And the fax requires an expensive phone call, which email does not.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM

marthag,
Did you receive a reply from Access Academy? It was my understanding that they are no longer in business. I still have a card from there with time on it but I thought it was worthless. Let me know if they reply. Thanks!
Peg
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

minimn....No, I haven't heard back from
Access Academy. It never occurred to me that they might be closed. My e-mail didn't bounce back,though, and the website sure looks current. Thanks for the helpful heads up.