Reload this Page >

Wengen in late April

Search

Wengen in late April

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:39 PM
don

Wengen in late April

I will be packing light(famous last words)- instead of a bulky winter jacket, would a coat with a liner, sweater and turtleneck be adequate? Also, I won't be doing any heavy duty hiking, but do want to go for scenic walks and explore the area. Will the trails be snow covered, can I get by with just sneakers in late April. Any info on dress and walks at this time of year is appreciated.<BR><BR>Also a note of thanks to Bob Brown and MANY others who always make the Swiss posts so informative. I have copied several previous posts and they will be in my carry-on.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Don, the trails around Wengen may not be snow covered, but my guess is that they would still be boggy and wet from snow melt. <BR><BR>If you go higher from there, you will hit snow covered trails, which are no place for the inexperienced. They are often steep and treacherous.<BR><BR>Clothing wise, you may be ok with what you described, but remember Wengen is at nearly 4,500 feet and to gain a vantage point for good views you go up another 3,000 or so, which means much colder temperatures. If it is 50 in Interlaken, it could well be below freezing on the crest of the M&auml;nnlichen Ridge. Much of Wengen and M&uuml;rren close during May, so April is the tag end of the ski season and definitely pre summer.<BR>I would not pick that time of year to go there and do much outside, either skiing or hiking.<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Johanna

I was there in April 2001 and July 2000 (?), and I wouldn't recommend going in April. It is the &quot;in between&quot; season for Wengen and a large number of hotels and restaurants are closed. It seems to be the time that they do repairs and such on the cable car (Wengen) and the cog railroad (one of the ways to Murren). It wasn't snowy, but it was chilly. A number of hiking trails were closed because of avalanche danger. I would definitely go for hiking boots and not sneakers. And with layers, you'll be fine.<BR><BR>All that said, Wengen is gorgeous--one of my favorite places in Switzerland.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:35 PM
don

Thanks Bob and Johanna. Can you(or anyone) tell me how often the cable car runs and what time it starts in the morning and stops at night- or if there's a website where I can check it out. Thanks... Don

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Rob

topping- I also will be in Wengen in April, and like Don, am interested in the cable car schedule- I will be spending one day with friends in Grindelwald and after dinner would like to return to my hotel in Wengen. Any problem getting back to Wengen in the evening? Thanks.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:20 AM
s

<BR>Hello don,<BR><BR>The main connection to Wengen is by rail. The first train out of Wengen to Lauterbrunnen on the winter schedule is at 05.43; the last train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is at 00.00. You can get the complete schedules at www.rail.ch.<BR><BR>Rob, The connections from Grindelwald to Wengen are not so swift, actually; getting from one to another by train requires two changes (in Zweil&uuml;tschinen and Lauterbrunnen) and takes about 1.30 hours. <BR><BR>There is another connection via Kleine Scheidegg that requires only one change and is about 20 minutes shorter. However, this route is very expensive as it’s on the private train line and goes over the mountain ridge that separates the two villages. In the wintertime, it seems to stop at about 17.00. You can check the schedule when it changes for the spring to see if the connection runs later.<BR><BR>I’m not sure what you mean by the request for cable car connection. Main access to Wengen is by rail; there is a cable car, but it goes to Maennlichen where you can catch another cable car to Grund just outside of Grindelwald. The cable car is used primarily (??) for skiers/hikers to access the runs at Maennlichen.<BR><BR>Both of y'all: Have a great trip!<BR><BR>s<BR><BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:31 PM
don

Thanks for the website s , I'll check it out.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:43 PM
rob

s - yes, I meant by rail. I'll look on the website you mentioned to don. I don't mind the 2 changes going to Grindelwald. As Bob and Johanna said, it's the &quot;in between&quot; season but that's ok with me, I want to take in the scenery so I'm hoping for just one clear day(or even a few hours!) Many thanks for the info.