Search

Wengen

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 03:02 AM
Paige

Wengen

Has anyone been to Wengen? We're thinking about spending 4 nights, 3 days there in the middle of August and hiking in the area. Any hotel recommendations? We'd like something quiet, comfortable and less than $100 per night. If not Wengen, where would you recommend staying in the Jungfrau region? We'd like to stay in a small village in the mountains, but not so small that it doesn't have restaurants or grocery stores. Thanks for any advice!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 03:40 AM
Ed

Wengen's a good second choice. Our strong preference would be Muerren. See www.twenj.com/bovisit.htm You'll find hotel recommendations at www.twenj.com/swisshtlbo.htm including some near and under $100. <BR> <BR>The best hiking is out of Muerren and Grindelwald. (The latter is not a small village by any means.) Transportation is frequent and fairly quick in the region, though, so you can get to hiking from anywhere easily. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 03:52 AM
Paige

Thanks, Ed! What a cool site you have!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 05:04 AM
paige

I just read some old postings and they commented on the expense of getting up to Muerren from the valley. Any idea how much it costs and how long it takes? Can we walk down? How long does that take? Thanks!!

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Mary Ann

We were in murren almost 3 years ago this July. It was truly enjoyable. It is easy to walk down to gimmelwald and gondola back up. We had planned to walk half way down to Lauterbruennen, there is a lunch spot on the way, somehow missed a turn on an overcast day and ended up walking all the way down. I think it took about 2 hours. <BR>We had planned to Gondola up to the Schlithorn for breakfast in the revolving restaurant and walk down, but weather did not permit. We did go up for breakfast the next day but rode down. If you go up earlier, the prices are cheaper. <BR>If you are into travel books, check out Rick Steves. For Berner Oberland he recommends several walks with suggestions for stops. We stayed at the Alpenruh which was more expense, I think then slightly over $100, but the view of the Alps was incredible from our balcony. Also, at least then, you could exchange your breakfast for the top of the schlithorn breakfast.

Old Jun 7th, 2000, 09:37 AM
lina

I stayed at the Hotel Edelweiss in Wengen last July and was very happy with it - a simple family type hotel. I stayed in a very comfortable room with bath and balcony (view of the Jungfrau) for about $70 (single), I think) and my son had a room at the back (pleasant but not spectacular view) and no bath for less. Hall bathrooms were very clean. It was just below the village in a quiet area. You can check their website at www.vch.ch/edelweiss. The dinner at 20 francs was very tasty and healthy. At first I was a little put off by the touristy main street but it is fun strolling there and there are plenty of areas that are quiet.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 05:42 PM
Jeff

I just returned from Wengen and highly recommend staying there. I stayed at the Hotel Belvedere and really enjoyed it. It is very reasonably priced and has a lot of Swiss charm. They also have a very nice half board deal. Check it out.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Clare Regez

Having been to BOTH Muerren and lived in Wengen for 16 years, you can not possibily miss out on the WENGEN experience. It's a very special and magical place, with wonderful, kind and friendly people....and the views are spectacularly, amazingly awesome!!! <BR>Check out this web page for more information and details <BR>http://home.sunrise.ch/aregez

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Kay

We stayed in Wengen a few years ago (Alpenrose?) and had a great view in a small hotel. We found that taking half board was cheaper than buying dinner out at one of the other few restaurants in town. But having breakfast and dinner scheduled at the hotel was a little confining as we usually would have been out on the trail earlier. But the food was great and hard to pass up. We were able to buy picnic supplies at the local grocery (closed during their lunchtime). It made a good base to do some of the hikes described by Rick Steves. Figuring the costs of all the rail trips and which are discounted/included in passes, etc. is difficult.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 01:16 PM
Judi

We stayed at the Alpenrose in Wengen at the beginning of April. It is a very cozy hotel with a friendly staff and great views. We liked having half board as we were happy to be back in our warm hotel by dinnertime. The food was excellent; I don't think we could have had better food anywhere else in town. I recommend this hotel. We didn't get to Muerren (too foggy) but we did visit Grindelwald and preferred the ambiance of Wengen.