Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip from Paris? Versailles or Wine Tasting?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Bob

Wife & I will be in Paris for a week in early October. <BR> <BR>We want to see all that Paris has to offer but may want to try a day trip to Versailles or a wine tasting area outside the city. <BR> <BR>Any recommendations as to which would be the better choice? Versailles or wine tasting. <BR> <BR>If wine tasting, where should we go by train? Reims? How would we get there? <BR> <BR>Appreciate your experiences & comments. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 06:59 AM
elvira

Versailles can be done in half a day (leave Paris about 8:30, return about 2:30), so keep that in mind. <BR> <BR>In Paris, there is a wine museum, with tastings. In October, the only vineyard left in Paris has its festival; there are also small vineyards in the suburbs. <BR> <BR>For a day trip, take the TGV to Bordeaux, go to the tourist office and take one of the bus tours (I don't know the schedule, but the Bordeaux tourist office should have a schedule, probably closer to the end of summer). They take you to some smaller vineyards, which is more enlightening than the more commercial estates.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 07:25 AM
dan woodlief

I guess it depends on how much you like wine. I have not been to wine tastings in France, but I have in three other countries. Personally, I would choose Versailles anyday, but I love history more than wine.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Thyra

Hi Bob, <BR>This is just my opinion, but wine tasting is not unique to Paris. You can taste wine in Napa, Italy, Greece and many other places. There is only one Versailles! That alone would make my decision. However this is your trip, if you are big time wine people then go for it.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 10:31 AM
jen

I don't how the crowds will be in October, but if you want to avoid the long lines and thousands of bus tourists at Versailles, try leaving a little later in the day. Wander the grounds of the palace for a bit until later in the afternoon, then once all those tour buses leave you'll have the place to yourself.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 11:15 AM
kam

Wine tasting in France is not as easy as in the U.S. so agree that can be done elsewhere. You can order wonderful wines with your meals in Paris. Would you consider Chartres and it's beautiful cathedral instead of Versailles? Another idea might be to head toward the Loire Valley and visit a chateau or two. Enjoy. P.S. If you must go wine tasting, go for the bubbly and visit Epernay, but confirm all plans beforehand.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 01:20 PM
Joe

One of the standard bus day trips from Paris takes in both Versailles and Chartres, and it can be done by train as well. If the latter is of interest, do a search here for tours by Malcolm Miller.