Wengen 3 1/2 days trip final suggestion

Old Jul 11th, 2017, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wengen 3 1/2 days trip final suggestion

Hello Team,

I need your suggestions in finalizing the trip to Wengen from September 17th till Sept 21st.

Me and my wife are 28 and 26 respectively and fit to do 1 to 2 hours hikes. Sorry for the long message but the trip is in detail as I have planned.

I have basically 8 questions which I need your help as follow :

The trip detail are as below:

15th Sept-> Land in Zurick and enjoy in Lucerne for 2 days..(15th and 16th)

17th - After Mt. Rigi trip in the morning in Lucerne, catch most probably 3:05 PM or max 4:05 PM train to Interlaken( Reach 5 PM or max by 6 PM by Via Golden pass route) and change to Wengen. Checkin Hotel in Wengen and take rest..

(Q1) Do I need to book my seat in Golden pass route for its not necessary ?? I have bough Swiss Rail pass for both of us.

Sept 18th -> Mt Jungfrau excursion.

Wengen->Wengernalp by train (16 mins). Hike from Wengernalp to Kleine Scheidegg (45 mins) and then to Jungfrau by train.

While return: Jungfrau->Kleinne Scheidegg and then Walk down to Mannlichen-> By cable car to Wengen

(Q2) Is this route good or I should just reverse my plan i.e. go to Jungfrau via Mannlichen and Return to Wengen via Wengernalp ??? Which way would be more sensible to do ??

(Q3) I guess from Wengen till Kleinne Scheidegg my trip will be free since I have rail pass. No matter which ever way I take. From Kleinne Scheidegg to Jungfrau I will have to pay 75% of the fare. Am I right ??

(Q4) After this round trip any other activity that we can adjust in on that day ??

Sept 19th -> Schilthorn Trip route help..My plan is as below.

a)Wengen->Lautterbrunnen ( Walk around and cover Staubbach Falls)->Cable car to Grutschalp->Tran to Murren->Train to Birg( Enjoy famous thrill walk) -> Schilthorn

(b) Return Trip is as below : Schilthorn->Murren->Hike down to Gimmelwald->Cable car to Stechelberg->Walk down to Trummelbach falls->Then either bus or walk to Lauterbrunnen->Wengen by train

I can do the lauterbrunnen to stechelberg hike incase that way is more worth rather than my above planned route. I can take this way while going up to Schilthorn and return via Grutschalp incase this route is more scenic. Or any suggestions are welcome..

(Q5) Please suggest any modification or addition to this route..

(Q6) While going to Schilthorn, till which station my journey is free ?? (Since I have a rail pass)..

Sept 20th->Planning to do skydive/hanggliding/paragliding and accomodate some short hikes..(Q7) Any personal experience or suggestions on gliding and hikes ??

(Q8) Any MUST see or experience in Wengen that I missed and can be covered during my stay, please recommend.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 04:49 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
>

This walk is flat and mostly paved (about 7 km). I've done it a few times and it's certainly not my favorite, but if you're looking for a gentle walk along the valley floor, it might work for you.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 05:47 AM
twk

Your Swiss Travel Pass will get you to Wengen and Murren. From there, it's a 50% discount, except for the Jungfraujoch, which is only a 25% discount from Kleine Scheidegg.

I didn't get to do the Kleine Scheidegg-Mannlichen walk, as it was closed when we were there (opened the day we left), but the conventional wisdom is that the walk is better going from Mannlichen to KS than the other way around--it's uphill that way (which is generally easier), and you are facing the Eiger, rather than facing away from it. However, from a logistics perspective, I can see why you would want to go the other direction.

Please bear in mind that whether or not you should even attempt to go up the Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn is 100% dependent on the weather--there is no point in going to either if you have a low cloud ceiling and no visibility. Also keep in mind that visibility is usually better in the morning that in the afternoon (clouds build up with daytime heating).
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 07:00 AM

Great advice from twk!

But <From there, it's a 50% discount, except for the Jungfraujoch, which is only a 25% discount from Kleine Scheidegg.>

Actually I think 25% from Wengen to Kl Scheidegg also

Passes also fully valid Murren to Gimmelwald cable and from there down to Stechelberg in the Lauterbrunnen valley for postal buses back to Lauterbrunnen -all fully covered by a Swiss Pass.

If time stop by Trummelbach Falls just before Lauterbrunnen -cascade inside a mountain and a drain for the Jungfrau Massif -passes I think get free entry.

For lots on Swiss Passes and transports in Jungfrau Region check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Q1) Do I need to book my seat in Golden pass route for its not necessary ?? I have bough Swiss Rail pass for both of us.>

Not required but suggested if you want to sit in panoramic observation cars. I'd say that the west side of the train has better views most of the way (if I recall correctly -Lucerne to Interlaken.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 11:45 AM

17th - After Mt. Rigi trip in the morning in Lucerne, catch most probably 3:05 PM or max 4:05 PM train to Interlaken( Reach 5 PM or max by 6 PM by Via Golden pass route) and change to Wengen. Checkin Hotel in Wengen and take rest..>

All trains between Lucerne and Interlaken-Ost over the Brunig Pass railway take the same exact route -scenery is the same from official GP trains as locals -I would not worry about catching a GP train, which could be full if not reserving, vs a local train. Scenery is nice but not that awesome IMO.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 01:55 PM

(b) Return Trip is as below : Schilthorn->Murren->Hike down to Gimmelwald->Cable car to Stechelberg->Walk down to Trummelbach falls->Then either bus or walk to Lauterbrunnen->Wengen by train>

the walk along flat paths Grutschalp to Murren is also sweet - along the cliff's edge but at a safe distance. There is a famous mountain restaurant about half way with sun terrace to rest up.
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 04:14 PM
kja

For paragliding in the area, I used paraglidingJungfrau, and I was pleased with my experience. I trust you realize that you must be fit enough to RUN to take advantage of the opportunity -- running is necessary for take-off.
http://www.paragliding-jungfrau.ch/wp/
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 05:36 AM

Inerlaken has several adventure thrill services like paragliding and white water rafting.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 06:03 AM
twk

>

This is confusing, even for the clerks at the station in Wengen, who had to refund me several franks on my one-way ticket to KS after initially only giving me the 25% discount. Unless they've changed it this year, it's just the portion above KS that only draws 25%. If you just want to ride to KS (which a lot of hikers do), that gets the same 50% discount that you got on the cable car to Mannlichen.

Frankly, I think they don't bother with the distinction for above and below KS when booking the Jungfrauhjoch unless someone points it out to them. It's only a few franks difference.
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 06:47 AM

Bearers of a Generalabonnement SBB or a Swiss Travel Pass may travel for free as high as Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald but pay half price for further trains. Swiss Travel Pass holders receive only 25% discounts on the railway sections Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfraujoch-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald>

This seems to be the current policy -in 2016 it definitely was this - unless changed recently still is -
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 06:53 AM

https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/d...bereich_en.pdf

2017 Swiss Map Validity also says 25% discount with Swiss Pass Wengen/Grindelwald to Kl Scheidegg and onto Jungfraujoch.

TMK it has not been 50% for several years.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the valuable responses..I have planned my trip..Hoping to have a great one..
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 12:07 PM

Please report back!
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Yes Sure PalenQ.. I will do that..
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:40 AM

Great so few do!
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:50 PM
kja

@ PalenQ: When I joined Fodor’s, back in 2006, I was SOOooooo terribly intimidated by all the then regulars who told me (I’m sure with the very best of intentions) that my plans were unwise, that there was NO WAY that I would have posted a report my trip (good, bad, or neutral). But someone had asked me to repert back, and – I’m sure it sounds absurd – I felt obligated to do so, at least if I was to come back to Fodor’s for further help. Argh!!! It was YEARS before I felt comfortable with actually sharing anything of my travel experiences here on Fodor’s. So please, feel free to encourage new posters to share their experiences, but please please PLEASE don’t ASK them to do so.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 08:07 AM

So please, feel free to encourage new posters to share their experiences, but please please PLEASE don’t ASK them to do so.>

OK = Point taken!
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 12:05 PM

ronnywitty1 - I encourage you to report back but am not asking! Don't feel it is an order!
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 12:37 PM

More hiking than you want, but maybe this will help:

http://ukfrey.blogspot.com/2013/07/s...en-hiking.html

Trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-oberland.cfm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -