Welsh Rabbit / Rarebit

Search

Welsh Rabbit / Rarebit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Welsh Rabbit / Rarebit

This may come from the Dumb Question Department, but here goes. We have nailed down our itinerary for Wales in June. In the course of research I've looked at menus for B&Bs and restaurants and have often seen Welsh Rabbit / Rarebit listed. As vegetarians neither version sounds appealing.

But I looked up what the heck is this stuff, and now see it will be a tasty treat! Online it says things like made with bread, cheese, mustard and "various other ingredients". Or, there are "thousands of recipes". So my question is are these generally vegetarian safe, or do they sometimes slip in bacon, ham or something else?

I also learned about Glamorgan sausage, another non-obvious but delicious sounding option, and I guess the same question can be asked about it.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welsh Rarebit ( have never heard of Welsh Rabbit unless referring to a bunny fromWales ) is one of my favorite dishes, right up there with Sticky Toffee Pudding. It is always vegetarian but you will often find it on menu with a bacon on top as an option.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, definitely Rarebit, not Rabbit, but it seems the question is subject to debate.
When I make it it is bread with mustard and cheese, with the cheese melted under the broiler. However, it seems the proper recipes call for a cheese sauce rather than just cheese, and that might contain eggs. Better to inquire before ordering.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:29 PM

Among a few other things, a Welsh Rarebit needs a dose of good ale. Much more involved than a grilled cheese.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Forgot to add that a bit of mustard is standard and I also use Worcestershire sauce. Guinness is especially good for the ale part. It shouldn’t be too runny. A topping not a sauce.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I should have said that eggs are OK. Also, the Worcestershire sauce (the standard one with anchovies) my be off limits for some strict vegetarians, by I can let that one slide.
The beer part sounds good too!!

I think saw "Rabbit" on one menu, or it could have been a dyslexic slip, but here is the story I found when searching:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-welsh-rarebit

The author says:
"Now, let's get the name thing out of the way at the start. Some suggest that the dish earned its rather peculiar title (and, once and for all, rabbit is the correct form regardless of what this newspaper's style guide says. Rarebit doesn't pop up until some 60 years after the recipe itself first surfaces, although given both have been in use for over two centuries, I think you're entitled to go with either. I prefer rabbit, but to fall in line with the official guidance will suffer rarebit here)"

The article is also worth reading for the story of how St. Peter got the Welsh out of heaven by declaring that toasted cheese was outside the gate.

thursdaysd, I found your blog in Wales from another thread. We've booked the same B&B you did in Conwy. One of our other choices was sold out for our dates.

Anyway, looking forward to trying rarebit!
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 03:48 PM

Nelson, I will say that finding vegetarian options in the UK is very easy. I might go as far as to say, the options are much better than in the U.S.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

historytraveler, yes I'm getting that impression and have high expectations for the food.
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Very nice B&B, if a bit over-decorated for my taste. I enjoyed Conwy and surroundings - hope you do too. Good weather helps.....
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 11:36 PM

My Welsh mother called it caws pobi, not rabbit though we did, we never called it rarebit.

It is rabbit in the same way Bombay Duck is duck, or Mock turtle is turtle. Lacking meat cheese became the protein of choice. Where the poor in England would have eaten rabbit the Welsh ate cheese, as they couldn't afford rabbit. The English name is a slur on the Welsh. Some fancy etymologist decided it was spelt wrong and made it rarebit. An early case of PC at work?

Glamorgan sausage also is based on cheese.

Some Worcester sauce is anchovy free, but Lee and Perrins isn't.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nelson, you'll have no problems at all finding vegetarian food anywhere in the UK. 99.9% of restaurants have vegetarian options and more and more have vegan options too. Whilst you're in Conwy, take a trip over to Anglesey and see Beaumaris. Excellent castle and lovely little town. Have a look at Llandudno as well and go up the great Orme on the tram.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 02:41 AM

Welsh rarebit is available all over England too . Actually probably because there's no rabbit in it I never thought of it as Welsh either . I always put worcestshire sauce in mine .
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I am definitely looking forward to trying it, be it rabbit, rarebit or now, caws pobi. I have found a recipe online that tops it with ham, so we'll have to be slightly careful. But basically, toasted cheese and bread, what's not to like?! The slur on the Welsh etymology is interesting does sounds like some 18th century PC.

Another online note and recipe here:
Caws Pobi, Caws Pobi
"Is it rarebit or rabbit? Historically, it looks like the latter is the older form, an English conceit, which they practise against other people's dishes as well: they called an anchovy-enhanced scrambled egg dish Scotch Woodcock. Tamaid Anghyffredin Cymreig is the Welsh translation of the English name; literally, it means ‘uncommon Welsh bit.’ The truer form, which we use here, is caws pobi ‘toasted cheese.’
While there can be many variations of rarebit (more mustard, less mustard, a dash of Worcestershire, a sprinkle of cayenne), ale is universally included. No British recipe ever excludes it, only the puritanised American ones do.

The British recipes also suggest that beer (not ale!) is the beverage of choice to serve with the meal.If you can find it and afford it, use a good, sharp farmhouse cheddar, not the mass-produced stuff. And under no circumstances may you use flourescent American mustard. If you refuse to make your own potent British-style mustard, at least use a Dijon."

Rubicund, we are actually spending 4 nights in Beaumaris before we get to Conwy. We will have a car at that point and plan use it as a base to explore Anglesey, and have a long list of sites on the island to chose from. Hopefully the weather gods favor us.

Last edited by Nelson; Jan 26th, 2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 07:50 AM

You cwazzy rarebit.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 07:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
My mother used to serve welsh rarebit to us dor lunch. Love it.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 01:30 PM

Hate to be the downer, but welsh Rarebit is one of the world's most disgusting things imaginable. It makes me gag.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 02:15 PM

Guess croque monsieur must do the same, as it seems to be pretty much the same recipe aside from the ham.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

StCirq, perhaps you had it from someone who didn't know how to cook? That could scar you for life. For me that would be pickled okra.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 05:15 PM

Love a Welsh Rarebit.. particularly the way my mum used to make it.

Enjoy Wales
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 05:43 PM

I’ve probably eaten dozens over the years. Some have been excellent, some good and a few pretty awful. Like anything, it’s all in how it’s prepared. A favorite was actually served at a kiosk- style place in a mall in South Africa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -