Reload this Page >

Welcoming Restaurant for 5 in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:10 AM
CIndy

I am looking for a restaurant for a dinner with my family of 5 (adult children, son-in-law & spouse)in Paris. The quality of food is important, however, the ambience and friendly service are even more important. It should be moderately priced. Does anyone have any recommendations? We will be going to Paris in February. We will be staying in the Marais, however, restaurants in other arr. would be welcomed. Thanks

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Françoise

What are your precise expectations regarding "friendly service"? French wait staff in general don't tend to fawn over customers, chat with them, or introduce themselves (Hi! I'm - Jean-Claude and I'll be your server tonight!) and then list the daily specials. I could give you a list of restaurants where you and your family would dine well and be treated politely, but I can't think of a single Parisian restaurant where American expectations of "friendly service" would be met.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Cindy

I most definitely do not enjoy what you refer to as american expectations of friendly service. I would like an establishment that would be comfortable and make for an enjoyable experience. I have been to Paris before and have had good dining experiences and some where everyone in the room seemed to be miserable. If you have any thoughts I would be happy to hear them. Thank you.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Gretchen

I have JUST the place! Le Florimond, 19 av. Lamotte-Picquet, just a few yards from the Ecole MIlitaire metro. The owner/chef speaks English, will explain his wonderful menu to you if you need it. Great food--price about20-25?. It may be our favorite restaurant in Paris. Another excellent one is Fontaine de Mars on the corner of rueExposition and Ste. Dominique. Reservations are really needed at each of these at least maybe a day before. Fontaine maybe a day or so earlier.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:43 AM
elaine

My old favorite restaurant is near where you will be staying, Chez Julien, in the 4th, corner of 1 rue Pont Louis Philippe and 62 rue de l’Hotel de Ville.. Telephone 42-78-31-64. Closed Sundays. These days it will probably cost the equivalent of $60 euro per person not including wine. You can spend less if you order the fixed-price menu. It is simple but <BR>pretty, with very good food. Family-run. Not very dressy, but not jeans. The restaurant had a short appearance in the film “The Accidental Tourist” when William Hurt was briefly shown dining there.<BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Cindy

Thanks for the suggestions. Curious if Francoise had any.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Françoise

What are your precise expectations regarding &quot;friendly service&quot;? French wait staff in general don't tend to fawn over customers, chat with them, or introduce themselves (Hi! I'm - Jean-Claude and I'll be your server tonight!) and then list the daily specials. I could give you a list of restaurants where you and your family would dine well and be treated politely, but I can't think of a single Parisian restaurant where American expectations of &quot;friendly service&quot; would be met.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Françoise

I don't know why my post keeps cloning itself, but sorry! Florimond is a good choice - it's small, though, so book early. Also in the same area is Fontaine de Mars which is charming and good food. I like the Guirlande de Julie on the Places des Vosges, too. And one other - Morot-Gaudry, on the rue de la Cavali&egrave;re, has a very friendly chef and delicious food and a bonus - nice views of the Eiffel Tower (restaurant is on the top floor of a building). And in le Marais is Le Mara&icirc;cher, a really pretty place - like a private home, with good service and food.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:37 AM
paul

agree with Gretchen about Le Florimond. ate there three nights in a row as it was just around the corner from my hotel. reservations a must because another popular restaurant three doors down is closed for renovations. small restaurant-seats 36. the prix fixe dinner is npw 28.50 euros but you can take any of the daily specials into the combination which includes an appetizer/entree, main dish/plat and dessert (the creme brulee is marvelous-served in a soup bowl so the creme is very thin and gets warm as the sugar crust is caramelized-and yes I love desserts). Phone: 01 45 55 40 38 Fax: 01 45 55 40 38

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Wendy

As long as the family is of the carnivorous type I would recommend Pied du Cochon (sp?) It is one of the older brassiers- big, upbeat, friendly and open 24 hours I think.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Jess

I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it was fantastic. If you get off the metro at Le Tour Eiffel, and walk down the stairs and then turn to your right it is right on the corner of the street. We stopped there on our last night and we had fresh, oven-baked pizza and black currant wine and it wasn't any more than 20F per person. It was the best pizza I have ever had. I am going there the next time I go back. The server spoke english and was actually kind of nice. Sorry that I can't remember the name.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Gretchen

And I have to say at Le Florimond when we were there I created the &quot;horreur&quot;--I wanted 2 &quot;entrees&quot; (both from the speciale) for my meal. No problem. It is a special place in Paris for us. Tiny, special, and very French.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Julie

I would highly recommend Le Grand Cafe at 4 blvd des Capucines near the Opera Garnier. The food is delicious (they prepare it at your table) and very reasonably priced, and the service was delightful--so much so that when I complimented the chef on the food, he kept bringing us deserts and liquors on the house! (And I speak very little French!) Plus, the place is a work of art in and by itself--it's entirely done in stained glass--walls and ceilings. (Make sure you visit the lu!)<BR><BR>Have a great trip and let us know where you end up and how you liked it.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 02:36 AM
MANEL

Ch&egrave;re Fram&ccedil;oise, <BR> <BR>J’ai lu des renseignements que vous faites de restaurants &agrave; Paris au Fodor’s Talk. Je suis un agent de voyage de Barcelona qui cherche un bon restaurant pour des clients pour le d&icirc;ner de Saint Sylvestre &agrave; Paris. Qu’est-ce que vous me conseillez ? Les clients peuvent d&eacute;penser environ 500 euros par personne. Je cherche un bon restaurant avec une f&ecirc;te (bal) apr&egrave;s le d&icirc;ner. <BR> <BR>Sinc&egrave;res salutations.<BR> <BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Celine

Keep in mind that a lot of good restaurants, also the expensive ones, might probably already be fully booked for New Years' Eve.<BR>Paris is packed for the holidays, not only with foreigners, but also French visiting the city and/or family members.<BR>New Year's Eve is THE evening out. And don't want to discourage you (resp. your clients), but I would not rely on the first choices with such short notice.<BR>Good luck.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 05:28 AM
jill

Is the Grand Cafe open? I had sent someone there last spring and they said it had closed for either renovations or was gone!

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Pam

Astier in the 11th. This is a wonderful neighborhood bistro..take your dictionaries though as there is no English written or spoken. They have a great prix fixed discovery menu. The cheese course alone will thrill you. There are also lots of options..meat,veggie,fish on the menu. <BR>They are open for lunch and dinner..make reservations. Dinner will probably run 150-160 francs per person<BR>with wine.