Weird Question for Ladies Only...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so this is a weird question, but I know you all are a wealth of info, so I will ask anyway....

I will be going to the UK in May and I have figured out my monthly cycle for the next few months and it looks like old flow will visit me during my trip! Ugh! This totally sucks because 1) it kind of saps my energy, 2) I will be doing LOTS AND LOTS of walking, and 3) I am not sure of the public restroom sytem in the London. I know that sounds weird, but at least when I am at home or nearby, I know I can find a nearby starbucks or bookstore or something for a seemingly clean restroom.

How have you women dealt with that issue when going on long trips? I know some may suggest BC pills, but they make me feel horrible and tend to make everything worse.

I am thinking that if I just only half acknowledge her existence, she will sort of leave me alone, yeah?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM

I deal with this issue on nearly every trip, and believe me, I hiked Petra 12 miles up into the mountains on Day 1 last NOvember. You will be fine in the UK. My worst was in China, on the Lesser Gorges day trip on a small boat with no facilities. That was a fun day. You will be fine! Trust me. Don't let it get you down. Just take all your favorite supplies (though I probably would just a take a few to get me started since the UK has what you need) and some naproxyn.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:03 PM
P_M

"I am thinking that if I just only half acknowledge her existence, she will sort of leave me alone, yeah?"

No, that only makes it worse. LOL!!

Clean restrooms in the UK are as easy to find as in the US. Don't let Aunt Flo ruin your trip.

P. S. Guys, I know you're looking, now get out of this thread, it's for Ladies ONLY!! >

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Take what you need with you. After spending a Sunday in Paris trying to find "supplies" when everything was closed, I won't make that mistake again.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>>>when I am at home or nearby, I know I can find a nearby starbucks or bookstore or something for a seemingly clean restroom. <<<

You'll find the same to be true in the UK, especially London. It won't be an issue. As mentioned, if you have a favorite product, bring it from home, but otherwise consider it an oddly fun souvenir shopping experience. Plenty to choose from!

>>I am thinking that if I just only half acknowledge her existence, she will sort of leave me alone, yeah?<<

Sigh. If it were only true!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM

My Mother taught me to always carry sanitary supplies in my luggage.

I had my monthly while I was hiking the Inca trail! It was not a problem.

The sanitary supplies came in handy the next week when I met two high school girls up the Amazon at ACEER (Amazon Center for Environmental Exploration & Research) who were in desperate need!!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:10 PM

I've been told by my ob-gyn that some brides get a series of hormone shots just to make sure they don't get their period during the honeymoon trip. If it's important to you, ask your doctor about that option.

Me, I just take it as it comes, but mine is mercifully light and brief.

Don't worry about the public restrooms in London. I think they're better than the ones in the U.S.

In particular, don't miss the bathrooms located underneath Trafalgar Square: a sleek and stunning interior all gleaming of stainless steel. Most pristine pubic restroom I have ever seen. I even took a photo of the interior!

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
tod

Kybourbon - There is a 24hr pharmacy on the Champs Elysee. Found this out from hotel reception when I needed something for sore legs. It's near George V metro.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM

By law, there are always a few pharmacies open 24 hours a day everywhere in France. The other pharmacies that are closed will have a sign on the door indicating the location of one that is open (a <i>pharmacie de garde).</i>
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:35 AM

Birthdaygirlstrip, who knows, as every woman is different. But casting reticence aside, here is what I suggest.

A couple days before the expected start, focus on eating lightly, with little or no greasy food, little meat or dairy, and lots of raw vegetables and fruit. Keep this up until at least the first three days have passed.

Drink lots of water during.

Lots of walking can help, particularly if combined with the light eating. It's not that you are ignoring anything, but that you are helping your muscles work well (after all, the uterus is a muscle too).

What can make things really bad is giving in to cravings to eat rich, fatty, salty food beforehand.

And if you need a couple more hours sleep per night, take them.

You will have at least two chances to try this out before May. Good luck!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:37 AM

When visiting European cities I always find McDonalds handy for loo breaks Or use to excuse to go into a bar for a drink
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:54 AM

I have been using &quot;the keeper&quot; for the past 6 years and I can't recommend it enough for travel. Basically, it is a cup made of gum rubber that you insert into your vaginal canal. It catches menstrual fluid and you dump it out, wash and re-insert. It has taken me through all kinds of weird conditions, including Morocco where some toilets are porcelain holes in the ground, and camping in Mexico where we didn't even have toilets.

Recently, the &quot;divacup&quot; has been released, which is a little different shape and made of silicon, so it can be boiled. However, from what I have heard, as it is softer, it tends to sit lower in the vaginal canal and can lead to a &quot;holding on for dear life&quot; feeling.

The Keeper has saved me a ton of money and it is a very comfortable and practical way to keep the pd in check. I recommend them to everyone.

www.keper.com

Feel free to e-mail me for further information.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:39 AM

that link does not work.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:51 AM

Try &quot;Instead&quot;.

http://www.softcup.com/

They should have these at your local drug store. Try it out before you go!

Or here is a thread discussing options:

http://www.mum.org/KeeperInsteadpic.htm

And they have Super Ultra tampons now (OB at least) that hold tons. And the OB without the applicators fit nicely in the luggage. Again, try out any new methods before you go!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:52 AM

probably because she left out an &quot;e&quot; in keeper....
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:04 AM

There are more Starbucks and McDonald's in the UK than you can shake a stick at. There are also tons of Boots pharmacies for products. That being said, take your faves with you, accept biology, and go with it. We all deal with it when we travel without stressing out. Relax.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:08 AM

sorry! That is

www.keeper.com

Instead is definitely a great product and according to a friend of mine, are dishwasher safe. I have never tried them, as the Keeper requires no further testing. It is a very empowering product!

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:15 AM

A friend of mine was told by her ob/gyn that taking ibuprofen will slow down the flow. Wow it works. Now I make sure I take plenty of ibuprofen along. The liquid caps work even quicker. Ask you ob/gyn, and try it , but it works. It also cuts any cramps. I take 600mg/6hrs or 800mg/8hrs. I also carry OB ultra. You can pack lots. I know there is a brand very similar to OB in England as well.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:27 AM
esm

&lt;&lt;Instead is definitely a great product and according to a friend of mine, are dishwasher safe&gt;&gt;

dishwasher safe!! You've got to be kidding.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:33 AM

I will heartily concur with WillTravel's suggestion. Vegetables, fruit and hydration are key. Also get off caffeine.

Give your body what it needs to cope with Aunt Flo and you'll be amazed what a non-issue it can become.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -