weekend trip to Italy from Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if it is possible to take a weekend trip from Paris to somewhere in Italy without spending too much time in transit. I would be leaving Paris late Friday afternoon and returning late Sunday afternoon (late June) so I don't have too much time. I would love to visit Italy but I am not sure if it is feasible in the short amount of time I have. I've never been to Italy so I don't know much about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM

You could take an easyjet flight from CDG to Florence. We did that 3 years ago. It's a quick flight, and you could have time to see some of the beautiful art, shop or just have a great dinner!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:21 AM

Hi Norm - For other flight options - e.g. Rome, Venice ... - see:

www.whichbudget.com

Steve
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:00 AM

Certainly it can be done. We've flown to Rome just for lunch. There is the reality of transit time, but it is what it is. Check out the Ryan Air flights from Beauvais for a good rate.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:45 AM
ira

Hi N,

How long will you be in Paris? Is this your 1st visit to Paris?

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:49 AM

Turin is charming city at a 5.30 hour train ride from Paris.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:44 AM

I looked at some of the flights available. Your "late afternoon" departure limits the flight options (train takes too long for such a short trip).

I've done the My Air Venice/Paris connection and would recommend it, especially since it's so easy and quick to get to Paris Orly. BUT...it arrives in Venince late at night, not a good option in Venice.

Given the flight options, I might consider Easy Jet:
Paris-Orly to Pisa - depart Friday 18:50, arr. 20:25. Rent car or take train to Cinque Terre. I don't know about arriving late in CT---maybe others can chime in. You could also stay in Pisa that night and drive up the next morning.

Return: Depart Pisa Sunday at 20:50, arr. 22:30 at Paris Orly.

Another consideration: fly into Milan, hire a driver to take you to the Lakes Region. I haven't looked at the flights, but there are probably more flight options to Milan than any other city. You might also look at Sicily.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I have a lot to look into now! Ira, I went to Paris last summer with my family. I'll be studying at the Sorbonne for a month and have an additional 2 days at the end of my trip to do a little sightseeing.

I don't know if I want to rent a car anywhere, so I would really like to fly in somewhere, take a taxi to a hotel, and be able to walk or take the bus to the sights.

Classes end on Friday but I'm not sure of the time so that's why I mentioned late afternoon flight or train. I really don't want to arrive too late anywhere especially if it is a big city. I'll have to find out the class schedule before I can determine when I can leave.

Is it possible or advisable to wait until I am in Paris to plan a weekend trip? Or should I do all of the planning from the States? I don't know if the rates would be better by booking from home or just better because I'm booking further in advance.

I had thought about going to Brugges or Geneva but I've always wanted to visit Italy. I only know a few words of Italian so hopefully I won't have any trouble communicating since I know a bit of French (French major but not yet fluent).

I will research the suggestions y'all have given. If anyone has any other advice I would love to hear it!

Thank you
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Seafox

"Certainly it can be done. We've flown to Rome just for lunch. There is the reality of transit time, but it is what it is. Check out the Ryan Air flights from Beauvais for a good rate."

Thanks for the idea.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:00 PM

cafegodess - one other recommendation - plan to do nothing other than lunch - last time, we just went directly to to Piazza Navonna via taxi.. We sat, relaxed, walked around, had a beverage or two and then went home. The perfect day.