Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weekend trip to Interlaken or Vienna....help me pick!?!?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, sister, and I are currently living outside of Rome for a month and want to do a weekend trip in a few weeks to either Austria or Switzerland. If you had the opportunity to go to either Vienna or Interlaken, which would you pick and why? Unfortunately, we can't see both so we need some advice. I've scanned the "overviews" and "sights to see" in the description sections and I am currently reading Ricks Steves' Europe book, but I still would love to get some of your opinions since you all seem so knowledgeable. Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:48 AM

I do not believe that somebody can ask this!
What do you answer if somebody ask: What do you prefer for lunch, antipasti or or ice tea?
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:41 AM

I can't speak to Interlaken- but Vienna is one of the most beautiful cities in the world! I guess it depends on what you're looking for and what your interests are... I would say go to Vienna- sit outside of the Sacher Hotel and eat the famous Torte while drinking coffee and people watching, head to the opera, or head to a club (there are plenty if you like the party scene). The Hapsburg Palace is beautiful as well. Vienna is an awesome city (I'm 27 and love to have fun, but I've taken my 50-something parents there as well- and they found the architecture, beauty, and music enthralling).
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM

In a few weeks.... Well you'll probably be better off in a city. Lots to do no matter the weather.

Interlaken is not a destination in itself but a base for trips up into the mountains and on the lakes. Summer season is over, skiing won't start until after your "few weeks." Snow permitting. Non-city Switzerland can be kind of dead in the off-seasons. Plus the weather probably won't be conducive to seeing the mountains.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM

I have nothing against Interlaken, but I wouldn't pick it for this trip. If you want to see a beautiful, elegant city, then go for Vienna. If you'd like to take in some gorgeous mountain scenery as well as cultural activities, then I would suggest Salzburg instead of Interlaken. You will get the moutain scenery and plenty of things to do in case the weather is uncooperative. If you get to Interlaken and it's foggy and pouring down with rain, will that matter?
I was in Salzburg during a cold, rainy week and still enjoyed it. I don't think I would have been able to enjoy Interlaken under the same conditions.