Weekend out of London

Search

Weekend out of London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend out of London

We have a weekend in May out of London...any really favorite places via train? Hotels?
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:13 PM

We are going to Warwick Castle May 11 after reading all the raves in this board. Combine with Stratfor on Avon and you have a lovely weekend. Train is the way to go. I don't know the hotels there.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:00 PM

my choices would be<BR><BR>Woodstock (home of Blenheim Palace)(not sure about train service though)<BR><BR>Bath- Queensbury Hotel<BR><BR>Rye
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Dover! what a great place with great attractions
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:38 PM

I went to Edinburgh via train, not too long (4.5 hours) and a lovely place to visit.<BR><BR>Woodstock which was mentioned by McLaurie can be combined with Oxford but isn't that far outside of London, only about an hour. We took a train to Oxford and then a bus to Blenheim.<BR><BR>Haven't made it to Warwick yet but it looks like a fabulous place to visit, takes about 3 hours to get to from London.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 04:32 PM

My choice would be York - I have not visited Dover or Edinburgh - but York is very different. You can visit the cathedral, take a city walk with a walk along the wall, even take a tour to Castle Howard and see a little countryside. This is the note I made re York: Arrived in York at 11:30 am and chose a B&amp;B (Georgian Inn) right outside Bootham Bar (92.50 lbs/2 nights). Perfect location � 5 minutes or less to York Minster. The room had 1 double bed and one twin. Walked to York Minster � huge, beautiful and worth it. Spent about 1 � hours then took a walking tour (1 � hours) � perfect, best way to see the town. Many of the sites you probably wouldn�t see on your own unless you had more time. Went over to Betty�s Tea Room for excellent clotted cream (which is like a whipped butter), scones and tea. Just got to Jorvik Museum for the last entry. Interesting � sort of like Pirates of the Caribbean only Viking style. Shows York from approx. 940 AD to modern day archaeological digs. Cute to see if there�s time.<BR><BR>I also took a bus tour to Castle Howard.<BR>
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Try a day trip to Warwick Castle. Takes about 1.5-2 hrs by train from Marylebone Station. Ask for the &quot;all in one&quot; for the castle. The Cheap day return ticket is 22#. The castle is a 10 minute walk from Warwick station. Or you could stay at Warwick since its likely much cheaper than London. Enjoy your visit.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:26 PM

Hi<BR><BR>something a little offbeat.......<BR><BR>fast trains mean Paris or Brussels are possible. Even stay at somewhere like Brugges ?<BR><BR>But you could save money on hotels and travel by taking a cheap flight somewhere. Think about somewhere like Languedoc !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 12:24 AM

Train or bus to Liverpool. Waterfront! Plus new Tate. Chester too!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 02:49 AM

York again. <BR>Great architecture, lots of history, pleasant riverside, well-geared towards the tourist. <BR>Go to www.gner.co.uk for cheapo train tickets. Book ahead, stick to your slots. Don't just go to Kings Cross station in London and buy and go. You will be stung! Gner will send your tix to the hotel or you can collect them at the station, I believe. 2nd class is fine. Trains are fast and modern.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 04:59 AM

Mpprh suggested Brugges (sounds like rouge--the makeup) in Belgium and I second his recommendation. I don't know how far it is from London -- but it's a gorgeous town. Very quaint, beautiful countryside, canals, a step back in time. Would be such a nice short alternative to the city life of London. (which I love!) Also, I would recommend going to Kew (pronouced like cue) Gardens -- just 30 mins or so out of London. Gorgeous gardens and observatories. Like a big, beautiful park and I'm sure it's wonderful in May. Both Brugge and Kew Gardens are two of my favorite places I've ever been in Europe. Have fun!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Assuming you are planning a one-night stay at your destination, you might consider any of these depending on how long a train ride you want to take. <BR>-In England: York or Bath, or Isle of Wight<BR>-Elsewhere: Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Bruges.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 06:59 AM

If you do go to York, you'll want at least a full day and a night there, minimum. So if time permits, I would suggest buying a train ticket that let's you get off in Cambridge for a day (perhaps a night) enroute to York. Both of these are fascinating walking towns where cars are neither needed nor desired.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Such a route as Leslie C suggests does not exist. The York train does not pass through Cambridge. So you would be obliged to buy a series of point-to-point tickets, which will certainly add up, and take time. Cambridge is a nice place to visit, but I don't think it beats York. You'll have plenty to do in York for a day and a night and part of the next day.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:33 AM

I would recommend Lincoln and York without a doubt!
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Hi Tudy,<BR>Why not visit Cardiff in Wales.<BR>Castles everywhere and a fantastic city too.<BR>1 3/4 hours from Paddington station.<BR>Plenty to see and do, and us welsh are a hospitible lot<BR><BR>Have fun<BR>Muck