Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weekend in London in Nov - what to do in such a short time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 04:18 PM
Hófí Jónsdóttir

Hello ppl! Me and my friends are going to London the 18th-22nd of November, yeah! Just for 1 weekend!!! I was just wondering what we should emphasis on in such a short time. I know there are so many things to see and do in London so what comes first? What do you, experienced London travellers recommend? Also, do anybody know anything about the hotel Bayswater Inn at Queensway? I look forward to seeing if someone takes time to give me a helping hand and by the way -I think this is excellent; being able to get advice from ppl who have actually been in the place you're going to visit in such an easy way, so thank you ppl at Fodor's

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 03:36 AM
Maira

If you would like to emphasize the usual tourist spots, I could recommend what we did on our last trip to London, I had four days in London this last time and the highlights to me were (DAY 1) the Parliament, walk by the Thames, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, pub-hopping. (DAY 2) Tower of London (start very early to avoid the lines), walk around Picadilly Circus (nice dinner at the Bloomsbury Area), (DAY 3) British Museum, British Library (Magna Carta and other surprises). (DAY 4) Tour to Stonehenge/Bath (loved both!). We then went on to Scotland. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 03:37 AM
Maira

If you would like to emphasize the usual tourist spots, I could recommend what we did on our last trip to London, I had four days in London this last time and the highlights to me were (DAY 1) the Parliament, walk by the Thames, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, pub-hopping. (DAY 2) Tower of London (start very early to avoid the lines), walk around Picadilly Circus (nice dinner at the Bloomsbury Area), (DAY 3) British Museum, British Library (Magna Carta and other surprises). (DAY 4) Tour to Stonehenge/Bath (loved both!). We then went on to Scotland. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 05:55 AM
carolyn rylands

Hi - spent 9 days in London 2 yrs ago - here are the must sees: <BR> <BR>Buckingham Palace <BR>British Museum (really fantastic!) <BR>Covent Garden (good shopping) <BR>Westminster Abbey/Big Ben <BR>Theater - see a show - Les Mis was great <BR>Harrods (neat place to go) <BR> <BR>If you have time, take one of Evans Evans bus tours - they have half day and full day tours and they were good. We did Salibury/Stonehenge/Bath in a full day and it was great. <BR> <BR>London is a great city - make sure you use the tube (subway) to get around and have fun! <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 06:29 AM
bly

Get your everyone to make a list of the 5-6 top sites they must see - then get together and see what overlaps. You'll probably have a lot of the same - Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Westminister Abbey. If you do have some differences - pick a half day and everyone go their separate ways see/do what they want and meet up later and recount their experiences. I love the Nat'l Gallery but it would bore some of my friends to death. If you all are first-timers, the double decker bus tours might be the way to go on the first day. You can get on and off check out the sites for 24 hours. Special interest: museums-Nat'l Gallery, Portrait Gallery, Tate, British Museum ...,Literary-Dickens walk, Globe Theatre, Creepy- Jack the Ripper walking tour, Dungeon Museum (hated it), Royalty, theatre... post some more questions if you want more details. b <BR>

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 06:55 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Some sort of a tour bus the first day sounds like a good idea. This should allow you to knock out many of the big tourist sites while giving you a feel for the geography of the city. Along the way, keep your eye out for neighborhoods, pubs, shops and restaurants you want to visit on the other 2 days. On these days spend more quality (less rushed) time exploring and absorbing the city sans the tourist sites. To me, few sites are as memorable as a comfortable afternoon spent in a good pub with my friends chatting with Londoners.