Reload this Page >

Weekend in Amsterdam

Search

Weekend in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 05:08 PM
Rose

Weekend in Amsterdam

Looking for rec.s on midpriced but interesting hotels in Amsterdam in April. Any knowledge of the Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky???

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 06:43 PM
Al

The Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky (don't you love that name!) is on the Dam, the city's main square. Posh. Grand Dame appearance. Not mid-priced at all. Check Fodor's guide book for list of hotels in various price ranges. When I was traveling on the expense account, I would stay only a block from the Centraal Station (so I could play hookey from business on weekends and take trips quickly to outlying points). The old Victoria Hotel. Small rooms, but all Amsterdam hotels I ever saw had small rooms. Buffet breakfast included. Super location. Not high priced.

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 08:06 PM
Jeff

Rose, If you want a good B&B at a reasonable price, but want the charm of Amsterdam, try the Hotel Ambassade. It is located on the Herengracht Canal. You get a wonderful breakfast and a beautiful view. Also, the rooms are full of antiques, if you like that as well. Have a good time, I'm going in May. Look at website www.ambassade.nl.

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:00 PM
Dan

Do yourself a huge favor and check out The Canal House in Fodor's, Frommer's, etc. It's mid-priced (for Amsterdam), well-located near the Westerkirk and shops and restaurants, walking distance to the Dam, beautiful rooms (ask for one facing the canal) and full breakfast in a large, sunlit dining room. We stayed three days and enjoyed every minute. I was initially hesitant when I read it was American-owned - thought I might be deprived of "local flavor" - but the American owner has been in Amsterdam over 20 years and was interesting to talk to over drinks in the cozy bar behind the registration desk, and very helpful in suggesting local restaurants (for a fun evening try a "brown cafe" near the Canal House called "T'Kalfje" (not sure of spelling). When we get back to Amsterdam this is where we will stay again. <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:00 PM
Dan

Do yourself a huge favor and check out The Canal House in Fodor's, Frommer's, etc. It's mid-priced (for Amsterdam), well-located near the Westerkirk and shops and restaurants, walking distance to the Dam, beautiful rooms (ask for one facing the canal) and full breakfast in a large, sunlit dining room. We stayed three days and enjoyed every minute. I was initially hesitant when I read it was American-owned - thought I might be deprived of "local flavor" - but the American owner has been in Amsterdam over 20 years and was interesting to talk to over drinks in the cozy bar behind the registration desk, and very helpful in suggesting local restaurants (for a fun evening try a "brown cafe" near the Canal House called "T'Kalfje" (not sure of spelling). When we get back to Amsterdam this is where we will stay again. <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:01 PM
Dan

Old Feb 4th, 1999, 05:26 AM
TC

Couldn't agree more with advice on Canal House. It is fabulous. The best location for walking, on a beautiful canal, near Ann Frank house, large modern baths with great big soaking tubs, super breakfast in beautiful antique filled room, quiet, inexpensive (approx. $145 per nite included our bar bill and breakfast), helpful & friendly staff, not one bit stuffy (some of the "grand" places looked stuffy to me). We were passing through on our way home from 3 wks in Africa and couldn't have found a better resting place. I'll go back to Amsterdam JUST for the Canal House. Request room #26 if possible.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 05:42 AM
stripped

If you're travelling on a budget and can't afford the deluxe Grand Hotel or the Canal House, try RTW club, an inexpensive private place to stay in Amsterdam. It's also in a beautiful neighborhood in the center of town and 5 minutes walking from almost everywhere. A great location and a great value. If you're on a tight budget this is a great tip. <BR> <BR>The website: http://pages.hotbot.com/travel/nethe...amsterdam.html <BR> <BR> For more info, just send me an E-mail! <BR> <BR>Mark <BR>[email protected]