Week in dordogne?

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 05:39 AM
Marija

Week in dordogne?

We're going to be in France for two weeks in May. One week is for meetings in Paris. We're trying to decide where to go the second week. We've been to Provence, Burgunday and Champagne. Our current thought is to spend a week in Dordogne. Comments, suggestions?
Thanks,
Marija

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Joy

Dear Marija,
One of my favorite plances in Europe is the Dordogne. The town of Domme has a view below that can't be beat. Sarlat and Les Ezyes are wonderful. You will love the area. We also will be in Paris in May but will not go to the Dordogne this time.

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 06:59 AM
anne

Oh yes - do it! We were there last summer and it's our favorite area of France (SO far! We've also been to Normandy and the Loire, and just got back from Provence and the Riviera.Each area has it's special magic!). When I get home I'll get out my journal and per diem if you're interested in that and write more.

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 10:12 AM
elvira

OOOH I'm so glad to find other Dodognephiles! It's wonderful! There are caverns, caves and rock formations. There are castles, medieval fortresses, and walled villages. The food is wonderful (truffles and foie gras! Wild boar ham!), accommodations are cheaper than anywhere else in France, and the people are very nice. I find their French easier to understand than anywhere else (a French professor-type told me it's because they speak "old" French). In fact, this fall, I'm taking about 2 dozen women on a 10 day trip through the region....

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 02:09 PM
anne

Back again, with my journal in front of me. We took the train from Paris to Brive and picked up a car right at the train station (reserved from the states). We kind of divided the area south of Brive in half, spending the first 2 nights in Meyronne, at La Terrasse, a lovely former castle of the bishops of the area, and then the next 3 in La Roque-Gageac at the Belle Etoile, right on the river. We spent our days visiting the fantastic hilltop fortress towns in each area, as well as alot of brocante and antique browsing, and trying the delicious goat cheese and pain de campagne, among other treats.
The highlights of our week were the mouthwatering food of the region, the fascinating towns of Collanges la Rouge and Carennac, and driving along the north bank of the Lot river on D662-hugging the limestone cliffs, sometimes driving UNDER or through the jagged carved out cliffside. On the "left" side of Brive, the highlights were the mouthwatering Sarlat Sat. market, and the town itself, the remarkably situated bastide of Domme, the chateau/fortress atop Beynac, and the massive 12th century fortified church in the otherwise unremarkable and remote town of St. Amand de Coly.
These are really just a few of the treats in store - the area is so rich in beauty - chateau after chateau, villages dripping with flowering vines and lush windowboxes, one superb view after another from the fortress towns high on their rocky perches.
We'll be back!!

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 09:24 PM
Donna

Since you are on AOL, be SURE to go to the Travel Channel, then Messages & Chat, then Destination Travel Boards, then Europe, then France. There is a real expert there, an American who has a second home in the Dorgogne, who share abundant information on the area and would be of tremendous assistance to you. If you post a message, she'll find you (StCirq). But, do take care with your spelling - she is very fussy!

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 11:13 AM
joe

We spent a week walking in the Dordogne in September '96 and liked it very much. We were with an English rambler's group, HF Holidays. The group rents a block of rooms in a Sarlat hotel and takes day trips from there. They have(had?) a website. If you're interested and can find them, send me an e-mail.