Liverpool or Manchester

Search

Liverpool or Manchester

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liverpool or Manchester

I have a group of 30 year old men that I play soccer (football) with that are going to England. For a group that wants to have some beers and go out do you suggest Liverpool or Manchester (good pubs is what we want!). We will be there for 6 nights.

Torch
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 09:40 PM

This is a complete no-brainer. And understand that I am totally unbiased on this.

Liverpool has some of the world's most beautiful pubs, a culture utterly dedicated to serious drinking (although sadly its local brewery, Cains, really doesn't brew good beer, drinkable stuff comes from outside, and the theory is that Liverpool Guinness really does come from Dublin), and an appreciation of football hard-wired into every possible aspect of the city. For the girlies among you, it also has Britain's heaviest concentration of conservation-quality buildings and museums outside London. Its seaside location, and the fact that it's surrounded by huge beaches and outstanding golf courses also makes it one of the world's best hangover cures.

Plus it has two modestly successful, locally popular, football teams whose stars are local lads (and world-class players who, unlike pretty boy Beckham, don't wear their wives' underwear). The other place has one Coca Cola-style team, mostly supported outside the city and full of expensive foreign imports. Its locally-supported team, though loved, really isn't up to it any more.

Manchester does have a strong club culture - though it's the kind of scene that appeals especially to hairdressers. And Liverpool's local media - and many of its inhabitants after their tenth pint - have a mawkish self-pity that can grate very easily.

Base yourselves in Liverpool. Try Manchester's effeteness one night to prove you made the right decision
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Ok, perfect, I was leaning towards Liverpool already. Now can you tell me if it's better to stay in a Premier Lodge in the Albert Docks area or in the Feathers Hotel in the City Centre. I'm leaning towards the city centre just because it's the centre but i've heard lots of good things about the Albert Docks area. We'd like to be close to the pubs and everything else.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 05:47 AM

I'd say city centre for convenience to Matthew street etc (I've not heard anything about The Feathers Hotel though, good or bad.)
I used to go out in Liverpool a bit a couple of years ago and although there are a few bars in the Albert Dock, the walk between the centre and the docks ain't the best and Taxis can be a real nightmare to get hold of after the clubs chuck out.
For what it's worth, I agree with the Liverpool recommendation and the reasons. The only problem we found was that the mawkish self-pity as flanneruk calls it can turn aggressive, not something limited to Liverpool to be fair.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Is Matthew st. the street that most of the pubs or shopping district is on, if not where are these areas? Will I need a car in Liverpool or is there a metro or subway that is accessible. Any suggestions on pubs or attractions while in Liverpool. And finally any suggestions on getting tickets to a Liverpool football game?
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Matthew st is one of the big, better known bar areas (it's the street the Cavern is on - The Beatles etc.)
If you are staying in the city for the entire time, you won't need a car. There are buses, but to be honest I don't think the city is that big that you will really need them. There's no subway or, as far as I know, tram system.
Ask the locals for the areas to avoid (they really do exist and I really would not go there). For a trip out, if it's sunny, try Southport (north along the coast, a pleasant seaside town with a few bars to play in) or North Wales (south a bit further). You could do either by train or bus / coach (not sure how long it would take you to Wales though.)
As for attractions in Liverpool, flanneruk probably has a better idea than me. As for drinking areas, ask at the hotel or find a friendly scouser (Liverpool native) and get them to direct you. I seem to remember a place called, I think, The Square which was this little square (funnily enough) ringed with bars and clubs with tables etc filling the rest. It was a major drinking and womanising spot (the women there are just as bad / good by the way).
Liverpool are a Premier league team with a VERY loyal following, tickets are likely to be tough to get hold of.
You haven't said when you are going but try http://www.liverpoolfc.tv. Prices go from GBP24 to 29 depending on the game. You will obviously pay way more from a tout (scalper) but the site implies you have to apply for tickets throught the official route with the club. You may find a reseller on the net that sells them.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Oh yeah, and I would take a day trip or two to Manchester. Lot's of shops, museums etc, plus get someone to take you to Rusholm (spelling anyone?) to go along Curry Mile - as it sounds, just a road lined with Indian restaurants.
If you aren't Homophobic and are up for a laugh, then for a night out in Manchester, try Canal street (nicknamed Anal Street because of the relatively high gay population there - maybe you didn't want to know that) and the surrounding areas are a laugh with lots of bars.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Don't even fantasise about having a car in Liverpool if drinking features in your plans. The local police haven't heard all this flighty modern stuff about gentle treatment of offenders.

Matthew Street is where The Cavern was, and a modern replica now is. Most of Liverpool's clubs and pubs are within a half-mile or so, and a reasonable walk. The Merseyrail system - an early metro -takes you to most places out of town: almost all beaches and golf courses are reasonably close. But the mountains (OK, by most countries' standards, hills) of North Wales are only 45 minutes by car, tough to get to by public transport, and a great antidote to excess alcohol.

By no account fail to drink in The Vines or The Philharmonic: but the web is stuffed with advice on Liverpool pubs.

Advice on anything to do with Merseyside's junior football club is, I'm afraid, against my religion. But no doubt others will oblige.

Attractions: the Beatle stuff: the amazing Victorian buildings in a long swathe from the Protestant cathedral to the river (the biggest being the Albert Dock: interesting and splendid but locally over-rated): the museums: Liverpool Chinese food (not subtle). If they stop feeling sorry for themselves, the people. The Irish imported "craic" from us, and probably half of England's comedians in the past century came from the area.

Oh, and women's clothes on the streets at night. Even in midwinter, women under 30 seem almost not to wear any. Bizarre, but brightens a January day.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Ok, looks like I'll be booking at the Liverpool Moat House. We are going in March and Everton isn't playing at home that day (March 20th), so we are trying for Liverpool-Wolves tickets. "Anal Alley" might have to wait for another trip but it does sound good for a laugh. Thanks for the help. Anything else I need to know?
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Just watch your back (it's still a city with the associated problems remember) and have a great time - you will.