Bristol England - any information

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and niece are heading off to work and live in Bristol for 12 months. My niece has aquired a job already at Bristol University but my daughter will look for work when she gets there. Just interested if anyone can tell me anything about the city. Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM

See if you can track down SteveClifton, erstwhile of this parish- he was a Bristol man.

Me, I;ve been in the city once, briefly. It was pleasantly less indistrial than I had expected. It seemed lively, pretty, lots of building work going on, cosmopolitan and somewhere I'd think about going.

How's that, for superfical judgement?
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Bristol is a busy, prosperous city with a long history, two universities, and a variety of industries. It is a regional centre and has the hospitals, museums and other facilities that go along with that. There is a lot of employment now in financial services, which has taken the place of the old industries of tobacco, mining and packaging. Aerospace is still very important, as is high-tech activity of various kinds.

The population of the conurbation (not all within the city) is about 700,000, but there is a lot of green space and you can soon be out in the countryside of Gloucestershire or Somerset. Bath is 15 miles away, and the Cotswolds about 40. Bristol Airport has flights to a wide range of European destinations and to New York. Bristol has good motorway links, and frequent trains to London and the rest of Great Britain.

There is lots to do, with a wide choice of restaurants, pubs and clubs. It is a popular city, which means that housing and much else is not cheap.

Finally, are your daughter and niece entitled to work in Britain?
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 01:41 AM

I went to university in Bristol. Admittedly I haven't been back since 1996, but as far as I know there have been lots of improvements to the city, particularly the old docks/waterside area.

The university area (Clifton and neighbouring Redland and Cotham) is very pleasant indeed, lots of nice houses, shops, pubs and restaurants. Very lively and studenty (naturally) but still plenty of pleasant, leafy residential areas around there.

Note that the university area is at the top of a very big hill.

City centre (Broadmead area) is nothing special, rather soulless shopping/business district with a lot of unpleasant post-war architecture (Bristol was badly bombed in WW2). But one wouldn't want to live round there anyway, so not really a big deal.

All in all, a great city for two young people to spend a year in, I would say.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:51 AM

I would like to reinforce everything that chartley has said, his first 3 paragraphs anyway. Bristol is the 3rd or 4th largest city in the UK and is steadily moving on from its industrial past. I went to the university, one of the most highly regarded in the country, in the 70s and my poor degree is witness to the attractions of the city! I live in Wiltshire now and always feel at home whenever I visit Bristol. The view from Portway up to the Clifton Suspension Bridge or the view of the Gorge from the Downs on a sunny spring morning are equal to anything in England. You will love the place.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Bristol also has a very lively music scene with lots of different styles Jazz , Blues, Reggae, Dance, rock you name it it is here. It is Quite a central location for getting to other parts a smentioned. Your not far from the 7 bridge crossing, once over the bridge your on the Green Green Grass of Home (Wales). Easy jet fly from Bristol so you can get cheap flights to Edinburgh, Galsgow and Belfast to pay a visit as well as other european cities.
I think people have covered most of the other points.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM

I did a day trip from London to Bristol last year and was pleasantly surprised at the place

I was drawn by the historic docks area and that has been redeveloped magically into a neat place

There is a big boat that's a shipping museum i think and pleasant areas to stroll

The university area i agree is also swell

But i did not get around much else but the town centre with the focal point of the old docks is great.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou everyone for your responses. Its great that everyone wrote positive things. To answer Chartley yes both girls are able to work in the UK. We are from Australia and my niece will have an ancestorial working visa and my daughter a 2 year working visa. MKy husband and I are are also planning a 3 week visit in September and want to have a good look around southern England. Perhaps a weekend to Ireland as well.Thanks again.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:40 PM

Don't forget about Wales.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 01:03 AM

'There is a big boat that's a shipping museum i think'

Pal - That would be the SS great Britain, methinks

http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/

The Broadmead shopping centre is now being completely redeveloped and is due to be completed later this year, I believe.

Steve
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Also try: http://articles.vitanet.net/travel-a...loon-festival/
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 06:32 AM

You have to stay in the right areal.

Otherwise it could be anathemal.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
platypus is topping all sorts of <B>OLD</B> threads this is one of the newer ones and it is from 2+ years ago . . . .