Websites for private home rentals

Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Websites for private home rentals

My husband and I are planning to rent a home (mas, bastide, etc) in the south of France in 2006. Does anyone have any suggestions for websites to use for private rentals directly through owners other than

www.vrbo.com
and
www.cyberrentals.com

??

Thanks!

Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Doble_Vergasser

There is interhome.com (I don't know if they cover France however).

Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick suggestions!

I'm just curious if anyone has an idea of the mark-up/premium you pay for using an agency? I know their "fee" or profit is built into the cost. If you're a property owner and you decide to use one or more agencies to market your property does that mean the owner can't rent his property himself?

Essentially what I'm trying to do is find a nicer property but I'd like to rent through the owner directly instead of paying the overhead to an agency.

Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:17 PM

Finz,
I am renting through owners via the site www.holiday-rentals.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk and vrbo, for our trip to UK, France and Italy this August/Sept/October.
When I find the desired villa on these sites, I then google the name of the villa to compare prices. Sometimes owners do use agents. I go with whoever is the cheapest.
The price difference for a couple of the places I have rented via the owner has been greatly reduced compared to agents.
I rented an apartment last year in Paris and the agent fee was 120 euro!
The downside is often owners are new to the renting experience and are often slow replying to emails etc. We had problems with bank transfers this time. The owners banks took a fee from the deposit...so we owe slightly more. We could have argued the point but the accommodation is still cheap...
I rented an apartment in a villa from an Australian company last July. I was very clear to the agent that we needed accommodation accessible by bus/train and walking.
While the accommodation was great...it was miles from Perugia...and a lot of walking to catch the bus! Live and learn.
Who knows what drama's we will have this year!
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:27 PM

FINZ:

We have rented twice in France and about 8 times in Ireland. In France, we used http://www.justfrance.com/ and were delighted with the service. Turn-around on e-mails were excellent, responses to queries were frank and honest. We told them our preferences and they found us two perfect properties, based on our criteria. We went this route
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:32 PM

Sorry about uaegthat ... to continue

We chose this optionin France because we weighed the risk versus the additional cost and believed that it was worth paying more for the security of an agency in a country where we have marginal language skills. We will probably continue to rent from justfrance, because we hav

In Ireland, we have mostly rented directly from owners, because we ARE Irish and obviously speak the language and if we HATED the places, we could always go stay with family

Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM

I am SO sorry FINZ, my PC is REALLY acting up today! Here is what I meant to write:

We have rented twice in France and about 8 times in Ireland. In France, we used http://www.justfrance.com/ and were delighted with the service. Turn-around on e-mails were excellent, responses to queries were frank and honest. We told them our preferences and they found us two perfect properties, based on our criteria.

We chose this option in France, because we weighed the risk versus the additional cost and believed that it was worth paying more for the security of an agency in a country where we have marginal language skills. We will probably continue to rent from “justfrance”, because we have decided that it is not worthwhile wasting precious vacation time in a place that does not meet our standards. If we rent from an agency, and the property is not as advertised, we can negotiate with the agency for another property.

In Ireland, we have mostly rented directly from owners, because we ARE Irish and obviously speak the language and if we HATED the places, we could always go stay with family Three years ago, we found a local person that is an agent for a few properties, and now has several of his own properties for rent. We know him, we trust him and he understands what we want, so it is the best of both worlds.

Basically, the decision is one of risk versus money and, personally, I would prefer to pay more in order to lower the potential risk. We had ONE absolutely horrific experience many years ago in Italy, so we are very risk-adverse when it comes to renting.

Best of luck with your planning and, once again, I apologize for my posting problems.

Best regards … Ger
Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:42 PM

Holiday Lets charges a flat annual fee and it's quite modest, though I don't recall the exact sum -- less than 200 euros I'm sure. You are dealing directly with the owner. So any "markup" on the rental rate due to the agency fee would be minimal. More pertinient to the price is whether the owner lives close by the rental property and is able to do the checking in and checking out of guests, as well as manage the upkeep, or must pay (or choses to pay) someone to do it.
Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM

You could try Chez Nous or French Connections or Total France.

All of them are paid a fee for the advertising and everything after that is between the owner and the tenant.

Other agencies take percentage fees which vary agency to agency. If you use one of them you are usually constrained to provide them with a set number of weeks they can let for you.

We have a place, and chose only to use advertising web sites, not agencies.
Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:49 PM

Gite.com also has a good selection
Apr 4th, 2005, 12:44 AM

Lot's of good links posted. From what I hear, the problem now is there are "too many" properties available. Good for you, but I think you will have so much choice, you will be hard pressed to make a decision.

You can also try posting here where you would like to go , and we can respond with first hand info about the places.

I live in southern France by the Spanish border and I know several absolutely lovely places, and also know the owners.

They are all saying that there are too many sites out there now and it is hard to get full occupancy. (Someone said Chez Nous is not accepting new listings in certain areas, so this is good for you). You can probably negotiate a good rate if you get in touch with owners directly. But I wouldn't take something sight unseen. Get a reference too. Rouss
Apr 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM

http://www.locations-france.com/us/ . lots of rentals in the south...and it is not only for France!
interhome covers France as well.
corinne
Apr 7th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Hi

I've got a few listed here : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/la...small-ads3.htm

Peter
www.the-languedoc-page.com

Apr 7th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I bought Alistair Sawday's book on French Holiday Homes. You can find part of the info on his web-site & that then has connections to owners' websites if they have them. Otherwise it gives you a phone number to directly contact the owners. We had a great experience with the place in Brittany we found in this book last year. I have also never been disappointed in regular lodgings (not houses) that I have found using this series.