Search

Website

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Website

has anyone ever used the website “bed-and-breakfast.it”?
it popped up when I was making an accommodation search in Italy.
thanks for any help.
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 06:20 PM

I haven't used the website, but it appears to be a fairly comprehensive site with lots of listings. A quick glance suggests that B and B owners pay an annual fee for their service. Another prominent site, often used for finding hotels, is booking.com. I believe they charge ;property owners a commission. What this means first is that some establishments might choose one type over another, and therefore they may appear on only one of these sites. Booking.com allows you to filter only B and B's if that is what you are looking for. I suggest you try both sites to have more options and compare prices. I looked at one property that was listed on both sites and that had a significant variation in prices between the sites. Airbnb, which is our site of choice (but we focus on apartments rather than B and B's), does include some B and B's as well, so you might also try there. In every case, once you focus on a property and have the best price from these various search engines, it does not hurt to check the property's website, because, in some cases, you might get a better deal going direct.
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks Whitehall. I also prefer apartments and usually use booking.com.
The listings on it for Vernazza was pretty limited, so was interested in trying another site.
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 04:43 AM

Yvonne, if you are looking for apartments, airbnb has many listings for Vernazza. We looked at them recently for our fall trip, but instead opted for Rapallo, where we finally selected HomeAway to find what we were looking for. Most apartment owners have a name for their listing that they use across platforms if they use more than one booking source. We once found an apartment in Nice for considerably less on HomeAway (due to the sometimes hefty airbnb cleaning fees). Having said that, on our annual 4-6 week fall trip, we sometimes have up to a dozen rentals, and typically we end up with airbnb for 80% of them. Compared to hotels, for about half the price, we get a full kitchen, typically concierge services from the apartment owner, and almost always some freebies, like wine, water and some food. The hospitality from what we describe as "wannabes innkeepers", who usually aren't burnt out like a hotel employee, is a significant plus. We realize that airbnb is a target in many European cities from both hotels, feeling the sting of their success, and from other property owners who prefer more stability in their neighborhoods. But, in much of Italy, this has been a boon to some families who are trying to hang onto family properties. We are good tenants and have always felt welcome there, even by the neighbors.