Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weather in October in Paris, Brussels & Amsterdam?

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:37 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's now been settled and I will be taking my trip to Paris, Normandy coast, Brussels/Bruges & Amsterdam in early October. Either the first 2 weeks or the 2nd & 3rd week.

Is there a website that I could see the average weather for these locations during those weeks of October? Of course, if anybody knows what the weather is most likely to be like, please tell. Thank you.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Weather Underground at

www.weatherunderground.com

For most major cities it has a "Trip Planner" feature.

Let's say you know you're going to be in Paris from, say, October 1st to, say, October 4th. You plug those dates into the Paris Trip Planner, and then it tells you the average, the highest and the lowest temperatures that Paris has experienced during that period since 1996. Scroll down to get anecdotal information about rain, thunderstorms, fog, snow, etc.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:58 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Judy,

Thank you!! What a great site, I'm saving it in my Favorites for future use in addition to this trip!

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 12:56 AM

The weather here is very unpredictible. Some years October is warmer & sunnier than September, other years it's raining and gray.
Oct. 2004 was very mild with day temps as high as 20C (68F) - Oct. 2003 was cold (only 12C (53F) on average!)
You can check out weather history (temps, rainfall, ...) for the previous years on http://www.weatheronline.co.uk
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Myriam is correct and I know from firsthand experience, it's really true for Paris! I visited in October once and it was warm at first and then it became cold and rainy afterwards.

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM

lyb,

If you know the weather for October in your own back yard, as of now in January, you might be able to make some money with the information.

But if it is actually a question of what to wear in Paris and Amsterdam, then dress in layers. That is: a light-weight waterproof, sweater, turtleneck shirt, slacks, rubber soled shoes, plus hat and gloves.

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:09 PM
lyb
Original Poster

hopstotch,

I guess I will be able to make money, because I could tell you exactly what the "typical" weather in my backyard/hometown will in October of 2005. It will be most likely be 75 - 80 degrees for the first 3 weeks and in the last week of October it will drop to 65 - 75 degrees. Okay, where's my money?

Obviously, I wasn't asking for a guarantee of the type of weather, I was asking for the "typical" weather, so that I can know what type of clothes to bring. I would never ask what to wear
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:11 PM
lyb
Original Poster

hopstotch,

I guess I will be able to make money, because I could tell you exactly what the "typical" weather in my backyard/hometown will in October of 2005. It will be most likely be 75 - 80 degrees for the first 3 weeks and in the last week of October it will drop to 65 - 75 degrees. Okay, where's my money?

Obviously, I wasn't asking for a guarantee of the type of weather, I was asking for the "typical" weather, so that I can know what type of clothes to bring. I would never ask what to wear from others because "light-weight waterproof, sweater, turtleneck shirt, slacks, rubber soled shoes, plus hat and gloves. " *** I don't wear turtlenecks or hats, so I ask the Typical weather and I take it from there.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:11 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Sorry for the duplicate posts...I pressed enter before I meant to and thought I had stopped it in time...oops!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:28 PM

October: more chilly than warm, more overcast than sunny, more often mist/showers than in summer...

Morning lows: typically 40's
Afternoon highs: typically 50's to low 60ish on good day.

Autumn colors: Lovely! Be sure to see them in Vondelpark in Amsterdam, on the vines in Bruges, and Jardin de Luxembourg / Jardin de Tuileries in Paris.