Weather in mid-late March in Turkey?

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in mid-late March in Turkey?

We're (husband and I) currently planning out trip to Turkey from mid through late March. We will be hitting Istanbul, Ephesus, Parmulkke (sp), and Cappadocia.

In these places, is it warm? Freezing? Raining?
Do the Dervishes do cultural performances this time of year in Istanbul (or only in tourist season)? Also, for the hot springs in Parmulkke, are they closed to swimmers this time of year?

Those are things I really want to do that would cause me to reconsider my trip if I couldn't.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:33 AM

hi Rachellia,
You can check the link and cities including yearly averages as well.
http://www.meteoroloji.gov.tr/2006/e.../eng-main.aspx

Expect some rain, daytime sometimes mild but also expect some chilly weather.
Whirling Dervishes ceremony can be seen in Istanbul, Konya, Cappadocia throughout the year. In Istanbul certain dates.....
Hot springs are hot year around at Pamukkale..... Late march should be fine for travelling.

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Excellent! Thank you for the link.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Dear Rachellia,

Mid March is a bit surprising time of the year for travelling in Turkey. As we Turks say "Half of March is winter and other half is summer". However, you will definitely enjoy spring at times in March depending on which part of Turkey you are travelling. To be more precise, you can expect;

Cool and rainy days with good deal of sunshine in Istanbul. (Around 10-12 C)

Warm and sunny days in Ephesus with a slight chance of rain (Around 15-17 C)

Warmish and sunny in Pamukkale (8-10 C) The pool is open all year round and outside temperature is no problem as you will be swimming in a 37 C thermal water.

Cold, even snowy and freezing in Cappadocia, but there is always the good chance of bright sun at times. (0-2 C)

Depending on your itinerary you can attend the whirling dervish ceremony-Sema Ritual- either in Istanbul (Galata Mevlevihanesi) or in Cappadocia (Sarihan-Avanos)

With all good wishes
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM

We visited Ephesus in Feb of 2007...it was nice..a bit over cast at tiem..but needed a winter jacket...some of the historical areas are located on the tops of large hills etc..therefore can be a bit windy and cold...

I would not re-consider as in my opinion it is better to visit these areas when it is not so hot and or crowded...late March should be good for travelling..

I have jsut posted this same information in another post...but here it is again...In Selcuk you have the Isa Bey Mosque, Church of St. John the Baptist, temple of Artemis and the House of the Virgin Mary, Ephesus, museum of Ephesus, Sirince, all close by to visit.

The Isa Bey mosque was built by the famous architect Ali in the name of Mehmet Bey's son Isa Bey in 1375. Many architectural pieces and columns used in construction were brought in from the Ephesus ruins and the temple of Artemis. The structure, which displays an asymmetric plan, is the oldest known example of Turkish mosques with courtyards and Anatolian columns with transepts. The Mosque also exhibits typical Seljukian characteristics in the details of its rich elaborations and the mosaics of the southern dome as well as the monumental height of the main portal in the west.
Close by as well are the areas of Priene, Miletus, and Didyma. These place will take at least a day's visit.

We spent just the morning visiting the Church of St. John the Baptist, Ephesus and the Virgin Mary house.

My photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/...7594522635754/

I also love Cappadocia but it has been many years since we last visited there...about 10 years ago...

Turkey is such a big country with many wonderful places to visit...enjoy...

A couple of friends of mine photo pages...

http://travelswithbillandnancy.com/turkey-1.htm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arbutusq/
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM

Sorry forgot to say..like Murat and ANATOLIANCRUISER have previously said..yes Pamukkale is year round...