Search

Weak Dollar

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak Dollar

How far east on the continent does one have to go to find an exchange rate that is not so pitiful? Where are the places to go that one doesn't get killed by exchange? Many thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Croatia is affordable compared to the rest of Western Europe and it is an incredible country!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:57 PM

I agree with eurotraveller about Croatia. You can figure all of Western Europe will be expensive thanks to the weak dollar. That said, don't let the exchange rate stop you from visiting these countries. If you want to wait until a better exchange arrives,you may be waiting a while. I have had 9 great trips to Europe with unfavorable exchange rates. For me, the exchange rate is irrevelant. As we have stated on these boards, you make adjustments.
It will be worth it. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:29 PM

Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic. The price of goods and services may be more important. US Dollars will go a long way in these countries regardless of the exchange rate. Street merchants often prefer dollars and will lower prices to acquire them. Avoid capitol cities and regular tourist venues.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:33 AM

When I first went to Europe in 1970 you really could do it "on $5 a day" and if you really wanted to splurge you used the "$10 a Day" book. And this included expensive cities such as Paris AND London where I got a very nice, well-located hotel room for 1 Pound per night.

Obviously all that has changed as prices and standards of living have risen for many.

I think you should seriously consider the "adjustment" advice and althouhg I agree that "tourist venues" and "capitol cities" are often more esxpensive, they are that way for a reason..there is a lot that is worthwhile there to be seen.
Rather than staying in some backwater that you don't really want to visit, adjust your budget if you can.
However, there are often very great rewards for doing the non-tourist venues, too.

Get used to the higher prices and if some people have their way this coming November, that "weak dollar" is going to be around for quite a while.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:55 AM
ira

>.. When I first went to Europe in 1970 you really could do it "on $5 a day" ..<

Ummmmmmmm. That book was published in 1956.

Weber,

The Euro is now $1.2. It came out at $1.18. It is where it should be.

If you want cheap in Europe, try Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine.