Economic problems

Nov 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Economic problems

Planning trip to Ireland in Spring and probably the Continent in Fall. Any opinions if the current economic problems will cause difficulties for tourists?
Nov 23rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
J62

What kind of troubles would you expect?
Nov 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM

On the contrary, I think you would find lower prices and merchants extremely happy to see you!
Nov 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM

Agree with Joannyc
Nov 23rd, 2010, 06:40 PM

I would think, unless is comes to strikes and riots, the currency exchange rate would be the only thing you would notice. Now, while Europe is in economic turmoil, the US is hardly in good shape, so I think it is hard to predict which currency will be in worse shape.
Nov 24th, 2010, 02:12 AM

Only for the people living there which means as a tourist you will benifit from special offers and deals
Nov 24th, 2010, 03:44 AM

Frankly, economic situation or not, I would NOT expect, or necessarily wait for

some great "deal" on airline fares but if business drops off then who knows?

the exchange rate Euro or UK Pound vs. US Dollar isn't going to affect the "tourists" who live in Europe and travel over THERE but their own economic situation might...Germany's economy isn't exactly in big trouble right now is it?

Ireland? if business drops off and that's a big if then maybe you'll get deals but don't forget all those European travelers who are going to be looking for "deals" also.

Hard call IMO; we are just about ready to try to get either FF award tickets for First Class to and from Europe for next October vs. paying for the seats...there are some cheaper fares out there RIGHT NOW (itasoftware.com) depending on the connections/code shares, etc., than I ever thought I would see for these service levels.
Dec 2nd, 2010, 02:56 AM

Agree with most of above - annual deflation of about 4% in Ireland currently, the economic situation & weaker Euro will all mean cheaper holiday

Enjoy
Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:41 AM

I wouldn't count on huge discounts, but I would think there might be some and there is limited (if any) risk that the crisis might negatively impact your holiday. Depending upon the depth and length of the downturn, however, you could see some of the more upscale dining, lodging, and shopping options go out of business (or reorient themselves down market).
Dec 12th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Ireland already was one of the most expensive places to visit or live in Europe before this crisis. Having come back from four months there, I also don't think you should count on huge discounts. I think that more businesses will close (already noticed many empty store fronts) and those still remaining that cater to or benefit most from tourists will not lower their prices by much. Actually think people will reduce inventories and keep prices about same.

That said, you may see more strikes and the like if the unrest about the economic troubles continues.
Dec 25th, 2010, 06:28 AM

I have been thinking that the B&Bs that consistently get rave reviews and hold the top rankings will continue to be fully booked and continue to provide the same service. However the ones that are less popular may need to cut back on amenities as the economy weakens.

I often will carefully choose from the slightly-less-popular places to save some money. It may be those "bargain" places that become less appealing as their cash flow tightens up and they begin to cut corners. I am feeling like I may just pony up for the higher listings wherever we go.

Of course, the sad things about this course of action is that it does not help hose already struggling. But I don't really think it is my job to spend my vacation dollars propping up the Irish hoteliers!
Dec 26th, 2010, 09:11 AM

I think the effect on B&Bs will be negligible. A few marginal operations might cease trading, but that is about it.

The effect on hotels and restaurants will be more noticeable: there already are lots of special deals available. The rate of attrition in that sector is greater, so I would not pay in advance for hotel accommodation without the benefit of local knowledge: it could hurt if the hotel went out of business before your arrival. You don't need advance bookings for a springtime visit.
Dec 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM

The OP registered and posted this more than a month ago. Doubt we'll hear from him again . . .
Jan 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM

Better value and still a great welcome - the downturn has not affected the scenerey or the Guinness!
Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:16 PM

I visit appr. once every 3-4 months.
From my "semi-tourist" perspective, I'd say:

Hotel prices are often down, esp. along the major motorways.
I remember times not so long ago when €99 was considered a "deal", now the same places ask for €69 or €59 per night. But it's usually not that cute little hotel in a triple A location...

Restaurants are somewhat less expensive. Or out of business - esp. those which were in the middle of nowhere, formerly asking €35 for a simple steak. You do see "early bird specials" or BYOB but that is more the individual strategy of the restaurateur than a general scheme. It does not hurt to look around and compare prices/deals, though.

Gas/petrol prices are UP. Probably not that much of a problem for a tourist, though, from an overall perspective.

Grocery prices are down or moderate. Renting a self-catering cottage can save tons of money compared to only relying on B&Bs and dining out.

Anyway, if you come from a non-Euro country, you probably lose or gain more by any substantial change of the exchange rate than from saving €20 on meals or spending €20 more on gas.