Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We want to travel lightly - what toiletries should I pack and how?

Notices

Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're travelling through Europe for 3 1/2 months and just can't decide what toiletries/beauty products to pack so that we can be as light as possible throughout our journey. I'd be grateful for any hints or clues from well travelled posters who have had experience with this before. I know that we can buy things once we're there, but I'd still need to keep it light and save on space. I'd like to take what we'll be using for the first part of our journey with us from home. What can we do without and what is ESSENTIAL?? Ideas for packing these things would be appreciated too.
Kind regards
Ronael
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Hi ronael,

Honestly, only YOU can decide what is ESSENTIAL. No one here know what you use.

Other than that, obviously, don't take anything in it's original size unless it's a "travel size". Go to a travel store/web site and buy their little sets, or better go to REI and pick up a bunch of their little tubes/bottles make for backpacking. Cost is much less that way and you get all kinds of choices!

Since you are going to be traveling for such a long time, I really wouldn't take anything that you absolutely KNOW you can't get in Europe.

Have a wonderful time, you're very lucky to be able to go for such a trip!
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Ugh. Sorry I can't type tonight. It's been a long day!
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Bring enough together you through the first days until you can buy larger sizes in Europe. Are you flying within Europe? If so , you'll need to where to the3oz rule if carrying on like we do
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Things I wouldn't travel without for that long and would want use of the entire trip would be dental floss, nail clippers, a small pair of scissors, a few bandaids, a good mascara, and some Aleve or Advil. Any other medicine I/we have needed on a long trip, we have purchased at a local pharmacy. Never have gone astray with a pharmacist's recommendation in Europe.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM

My hairdresser gave me samples of shampoo and conditioner-they take up little space and got me through the first week.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Amy

I take solid shampoo bars (LUSH has them) for one; they last a long, long time and are of course much lighter and easier than bottles of shampoo. I use their facial cleansing solids, as well. Bar soap; the little ones that are usually in hotels aren't my favorite, and you can't always count on them. Toothpaste/brush, of course: I like the PearlDrops toothpaste as it's a little bottle and doesn't squish like the tubes of toothpaste do. (Yup, I've had issues with that.) Face cloth (preferably quick-drying microfiber so I can wash and pack it.) Dental floss. Sunscreen. (depends on where and when of course!) Band-aids. A small lotion--preferably something concentrated where a bit goes a long way. Q-tips!

Your mileage may vary, of course, but this has gotten me through a lot of places.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM

In our travels, we've acknowledged the need for "feminine supplies" - especially the type you are used to.

tC
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

All good advice.
Love the toothpaste advice + dental floss (never thought of that one!) Thanks Amy!
Yep, thought of 'feminine supplies'. Nothing worse than being caught short.
Any advice on perfume - I'd like to take some only I don't want to pack the whole bottle, it's heavy glass.
We've done up a first aid kit, with the help of a Travel doctor. It contains a range of antibiotics and the like. Fungal cream, ear/eye infection drops, Vicks Vaporub, Stingose, Hydralyte for upset tummys, Panandol etc. Advil is something I will add to it - thanks for that tip Janeyre.
Is it ok to put everything into a toiletries bag? I've noticed that some websites say to put toiletries into a clear ziplock bag. What are your thoughts?
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Amy

The clear ziplocks are required for your toiletries in your carry-on in the US and in many other places I've been; I'm guessing it may vary by country, but I've actually found it easier in the long run than a toiletries bag anyway. (Oh, and do take extra zip-lock bags! Always useful.)

For perfume, you can pick up the little sample size bottles like this and a mini funnel; there are so many people in the e-tail fragrances business that they should be pretty readily available; don't forget a little funnel if you don't have one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1641wt_941
Or you could go for a perfume pendant: little bottle that carries a small bit of your favorite fragrance. I usually don't carry it, depending on my soaps/lotions for scent; perfume can get to be a bit much on airplanes, of course.

I do put toiletries in my checked luggage at times; always in a double extra-heavy ziplock, and never full bottles of anything. (For example, I used an all-in-one herbal/tea tree type shower gel/shampoo in Vietnam; it was in a large plastic bottle, but I used it for face, hair, skin, and for washing my clothing. To be honest, my skin looked great by the end, but I was a little tired of the smell of tea tree!)

You may want something like Woolite for doing laundry in the hotel sink at times. I'd kinda forgotten that one as I've been traveling in places lately where, luxury of luxuries, you can get a huge amount of laundry done for about five bucks. But as I'm planning to visit Oz next year, I'd better get the hotel sink procedures ready again.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

All good! Extra zip locks is a GREAT idea!
Amy, you're visiting Australia - that is fantastic - you'll love it I'm sure. I live in Australia, in TRUE Australia.....on a farm. It's a wonderful place to live and bring up a family. I'm very fortunate. If you'd like any tips on where to go etc (especially in Western Australia) I'd be happy to help out. If you're backpacking/looking for a bit of work in country WA, a lady who lives near us runs an on farm country backpacking hostel and she even finds the backpackers work. Mostly on farms doing good fun stuff.
Thanks again for your advice re perfume etc.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Kiss My Face makes a shaving cream that is available in a tiny 1.5 ounce container. Since you use just a bit, that small size will easily last a man for two weeks. I like it so much that I also buy it in a larger size and use it all the time. I found the smaller size at Whole Foods.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 08:49 PM

said before--and again-- lots and lots of baggies with the zip tab. i always tape a bunch of pieces of tape onto a couple of the baggies (one of which i carry in my purse) and i can pull off the tape as needed. also a few pieces of papertape (first aid). speaking of which... we always bring some antibacterial ointment (like bacetracin.) there are several european countries where any antibiotic-- even that which is in bacitracin-- requires a prescription. (we always bring our own antibiotics for long trips.) we also bring antibacterial soap and cut it up into little slices (after microwaving it for a moment) because we like a particular soap. we just use the tiny soaps as we go-- so we don't have to travel with wet soaps. have a great trip.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Ronael, I noticed you said you're Australian. We are too, though we live in London now. I know that travel size toiletries are not always easy to get in Australia so another idea is to take shampoo etc that has only half an inch left in the bottom. It will be bulky but light and you can toss it after it runs out and buy something in Europe.

Don't worry too much about first aid/medications. We've found pharmacies in Europe helpful when we've had to buy things, like cold medication or travel sickness tablets, even though we don't speak the language. It is often cheaper than home too.

Don't forget to pack a soft pack of tissues or small purse packs. Toilets in some parts of Europe often don't have toilet paper so they are handy to have in your pocket. For perfume, I'd try and get a solid type perfume, much safer than a bottle.

Have a great time.
Kay
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Hi Ronael, another West Aussie here! Coles do stock some small travel size bits and pieces. They usually have them on the end of an aisle near the toiletries. I purchased a roll on perfume from Cabtree and Evelyn, about the size of a pen, easy to fit in the bottom of your purse.

Priceline also have a range of travel products and small empty containers that you can fill up. I used one for liquid clothes wash for our "smalls".

The best thing that we purchased was a Samsonite toilet bag from Myer (on special) that has a hook. Many places have nowhere to put your bag put we always found a clothes hook, towel or shower rail to hang our bag. Hubby and I were able to use this between us. Worked a treat. http://tinyurl.com/yl4gxdl - luckily ours in plain blue but look just like this.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:14 AM

hi ronael,

you only need to put liquid cosmetics/shampoo etc. in a clear plastic bag if you are taking carry-on luggage only. if you are chacking your luggage, there are no restrictions, so long as you are putting them in the hold.

if you are carry-on only, within europe you need a clear resealable bag, into which you may put as many 100ml containers as you like. [within reason]. you do not need to put bar soap, roll-on deoderant, lipsticks, etc. in the plastic bag.

a bigger problem amy be that the latest airline trick is to limit the no. of carry-on bags to one. just one. that includes any handbags or [in the case of easyjet] plastic bags with sandwiches in them! so you need to make allowance within any carry-on luggage for your handbag, camera, etc.etc.

this is making travelling with just carry-on within europe a real test of ingenuity.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 02:58 AM

>>

Not if you want them in hand luggage where the size of the bottle cannot exceed 100ml
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 03:25 AM
tod

Dayle - You did say travel light - Take nothing except a large dose of broad-spectrum anit-biotics, an amount of severe painkillers and anti-inflamatories. No pharmacy will give you these without a doctors script. (Maybe carry that too as a reference to your medication).
The rest is widely available all over Europe. Even toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, deoderant etc.
I love shopping for new and un-recognisable products!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm with Tod on this -- one of the treats of travel for me is using totally different products. Even if the products are inferior, it's only for a couple of weeks. And when they're really good, you can stock up on them to take back in your checked luggage.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 03:48 AM

This is a great idea....

https://www.icklebockles.co.uk/

get these and the you can decant from your big bottles before you go. They have lots of different tops including spray ones and pumps too.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO