we need help Maribell!

Search

we need help Maribell!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we need help Maribell!

We will be staying in madrid for three nights in August. We are travelling with three teens and would like a hotel with a pool. We are considering either the Emperador or the Senator Gran Via? Is anyone familiar with either of these hotels? Our other two options are Hotel Mario or the Intur Palacio.
We would appreciate any input.
Maribel thanks for the guides they have been invaluable for planning our trip.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Hi harrymorton,
The older Hotel Emperador located directly on the Gran Vía has a rooftop pool, as you know. The Gran Vía, much like Broadway, has noise/traffic/street life, but also cinemas/fast food/discos/big clothing stores (Zara)/music stores (Madrid Rocks, FNAC)/sports memorabilia shops that your teens would enjoy.
The Senator Gran Vía sits at the corner of Montera, a street where "ladies of the evening" conduct their trade. While not a dangerous area, isn't not Madrid's more appealing corner. The new Senator, without pool, is more "up to date" in style rather than the classic Old Spain style of the Emperador. As many know, I'm not a big fan of the Gran Vía, but it does provide constant entertainment for teens, and if you enjoy staying in Times Square/Broadway area during a NYC visit, you'll be fine.

The Hotel Mario (formerly HH Campomanes) is near the Royal Opera House/Royal Palace (and a gorgeous square at night)- a fine location. Your teens would enjoy the young/hip/trendy "Ian Schrager on a budget" feel and the very "in" La Viuda Negra/Viuda Blanca” bar-restaurant-club next door. It's a Time Out readers' type of hotel. Popular with the 30 and under crowd. It has the handy at any hour Café de Oriente nearby and the Parque del Oeste for walks.

The Intur Palacio, a very striking converted mansion (but no pool) sits on a quiet square just a short walk from the Puerta del Sol. I like its style-classic, elegant, tasteful, traditional furnishings in the bedrooms, high ceilings, beautiful atrium with sitting area, marble everywhere. I've read good reports here (Christina's, for example). Of the 4 hotels you mention, I think the Intur has the greatest comfort level, but alas, a pool comes in very, very handy in the dog days of August. But their 109 euro summer rate is a great deal.

The 3 other hotels with pools are normally more expensive:
the 5 star Wellington (but great deals can be found in Aug.!) has an elegant location in the tony Salamanca district, pool in the garden, directly across from Retiro park where the kids can jog, rent a paddle boat on the Estanque to cool off...-very lively on Sun. mornings.

Also the new striking 4 star Hotel Urban (from the hip Derby group) with a fab location on the Carrera San Jerónimo downtown has a rooftop pool. Again, in Aug. Madrid rates do plummet, so check.

I don't recommend the large, convention style Meliá Castilla due to its far-removed location in the northern business district.

I hope this helps you to decide.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Maribel thanks for your very quick response. On some sites it indicates that the Senator Gran Via has a pool. I don't think that we would consider it , it there is not one. Do you have any recommendations for booking discount rates at the Urban?
Many thanks again for your help.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM

Hi harrymorton,
The jpmoser.com site says that the Senator Gran Vía has a rooftop pool. (There are 2 Senators on the Gran Vía). I stopped by last June but wasn't aware of a pool. The Senator site doesn't mention it or show a photo. Hmmm. Maybe I just missed it.
We'll be in Madrid this Friday (won't return until April 3) and if we have time, we'll go check.

As for the Derby Urban, which is a 5 star rather than 4, keep checking
www.derbyhotels.es/eng/ofertas_in.htm
Right now they're running a 140 special offer for some dates.

The desk manager at the 5 star Derby Claris in Barcelona told me always to call the central reservation office for the best rates for all Derby Hotels, as their rates fluctuate wildly. He was very serious about this.
34 93 366 8800
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM

Hi Maribel, (sorry for intruding on your post, harrymorton!). I am headed to Barcelona with my 77 year old mother in about 4 weeks. We are currently booked at the Apsis Atrium Palace which has gotten good reviews on trip advisor. Any thoughts? Also, thanks so much for your guides, they are very helpful.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:58 AM

Hi macsix,
Sorry, but I haven't inspected it yet, but I can vouch for the fine location in the Eixample. An added plus is the indoor pool, and for those in BCN on business the free wifi access in the guest rooms.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Maribel. Would love to hear back from you after your trip.I am very curious to see if the pool exists. Have a great time!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM

Actually Maribel - sorry to also interrupt this thread, but I too would love to have your thoughts on my itinerary. It's posted at this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34589429
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Maribel, thanks for the reply!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM

Maribel, would you please comment on the Hotel Ateneo in Madrid. My wife and I will be staying 5 nights later this month. This hotel looks good on their web site, however I am wondering if the location is OK. I read some reviews that said the hotel was nice, but that the area was a bit "seedy" with some sex shops nearby. I would respect your opinion and thoughts in this regard. Thank you very much, Jim